Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaramouche
    replied
    Finally got a tune going here. Managed to set an idle map and base load map earlier in the month.

Leave a comment:

• House
    replied
    I had similar charging system capability issues with my Hayabusa before eventually going for a high output stator because of the draw of the fuel pump and radiator fans (with an air:air intercooler reducing airflow over the radiator, the fans spend a lot of time on).

A 550 watt stator should sort things though - that's even more than my "high output" rewound one.

If any further issues though, changing the headlights and tail lights for LEDs also helped noticeably for me, and they're brighter than halogen globes too.

Leave a comment:

• Scaramouche
    replied
    Originally posted by slowpoke View Post
    Awwww man, I wondered if you were running a scavenger pump, that makes it tough.....but then if your fuel pump is only 9A, the scav pump must be similar = 18A....that means approx 20A is going on ancillary “stuff”. But it sounds like you’re all over it in culling the superfluous.

I remember talking to these guys a few years ago: http://www.bdkraceeng.co.uk/Race%20Alternators.html

Good guys, they normally do race style lightweight alternators, but they also do custom stuff. An awesome build like yours? They might be able to help.
    Rotary ho, away we go:

Fuel pump 9 amps; scavenger pump 5 amps; thermo fan (when operating) who knows; 8 x injectors worth 0.86 amps each (4 only for the idle circuit to 5500 rpm) call it 4 amps; AFR gauge 2 amps; CDI 7.5 amps; Coils current 6.72 amps; ECU came with its own 15 amp in-line fuse for everything bolted to it, so call it 5.0 amps by itself; lights 15 amps...... Fuel pump and ECU work in concert prior to start up so we have to have 14 amps on tap before I turn the key ! Should I go on ?

Everything works, including the laptop and comms baud rate when key on, no engine. The moment I start the bike and ask for laptop read outs screen freezes up. So, im going to start with the items I can afford to change over right now; Oil Pump, coils then upgrade alternator.

Spoke to a British guru through my friend in the UK, instructed me to remove the Circuit Breaker which is an intermediary between the Ignition on and the battery found on all slab sides and beyond , apparently they create a ton of resistance as they age, so direct to the battery it is: Done.

Also in my look see, removed the alternator and opened the cover. One hold down screw was missing on the voltage regulator (not a good sign) as every screw inside that thing is for something purposeful; brushes are good. As a side note; to replace the voltage regulator and rectifier will end up costing around $200:00 new, and no guarantees of a better result. Seems that the previous bike owner to pre 2004 had it apart once before and used inferior wiring from the alternator to the main wiring harness. Less than 5 amp wire for the orange lead, should be 10 as a minimum to the fuse box. Once I started looking into the wiring harness diagram, he even cut out the 2 prong plug connecting it to the main harness. Lets face it, who in there right mind for no reason what so ever has ever taken apart their alternator without cause ? Aside the fact its filth as hell........................

Been online after my chat with the Brit guru he also recommended upgrading the alternator, turns out the Bandit Mark II post 2000 put out 550 watts @ 5500 rpm, as opposed to my unit of 405 watts and the 350 watt units before them for the GSX range; and same design casing.

Called every wreckers in Perth trying to find one locally, not a chance in hell. They stopped dealing with bikes this old since 2005; found one in Germany for the right money so, thats on its way. Just

have to change the gear drive over from mine to the mark II unit. $1200 for a brand new one from Wemoto or $191:00 for a recon unit out of Germany, a no brainer if you ask me.

Come back to this in a month I'd say.

Leave a comment:

• slowpoke
    replied
    Awwww man, I wondered if you were running a scavenger pump, that makes it tough.....but then if your fuel pump is only 9A, the scav pump must be similar = 18A....that means approx 20A is going on ancillary “stuff”. But it sounds like you’re all over it in culling the superfluous.

I remember talking to these guys a few years ago: http://www.bdkraceeng.co.uk/Race%20Alternators.html

Good guys, they normally do race style lightweight alternators, but they also do custom stuff. An awesome build like yours? They might be able to help.

Leave a comment:

• Scaramouche
    replied
    Originally posted by slowpoke View Post
    Hooly dooly, 38amps is near enough to 500W! 0.5kW. Are you running a Holley Blue fuel pump or something? (p/t)

From memory all the early efi Ducati superbike stators are 350W, with race versions 180W. That’s with a fuel pump capable of supplying 5bar fuel pressure. Even the later stuff is 500W so would barely cope. Sorry, only mentioning for comparison.

Rather than upgrading the charging system an easier option might be to explore reducing consumption? Easier to replace an oversized fuel pump or run 1 low beam lamp than upgrade a charging system.

Apologies if I’m telling you how to suck eggs.
    Nope, not not at all. Walbro 255 lph runs at 9 amps set at 50 psi. Injectors need 43.5 psi to operate, can pull back an amp maybe. Good enough for an R34, good enough for me.

I have been doing research the past couple of days now. Harleys when they went EFI had to do the similar thing. Output wasn't sufficient to cover the extras put into the package. Now they do a US market through Cycle Electric, who have developed packages for alternator (Stator) upgrade kits. Most of there stuff for basic gear is still in the 11-25amp bracket at 2500 rpm. however the full dressers with bells and whistles have a nominal running amperage at 1000 rpm of 32 amps, increasing to 52 amps @ 2500rpm. And thats on a 2 cylinder !

http://www.cycleelectricinc.com

Now, after making some phone calls locally and doing some online snooping, I can change out my high performance coils from 2.2 ohms and back to std 3.0 ohm items, that will help me regain around 3.39 amps (2 coils 2 Unit value); changing the oil scavenger pump from electric drawing 6 amps to mechanical (Emtes) basically 0 amps; that will reclaim 9.39 there abouts, getting me closer to 30 amps. Can stage the injectors (12-16 ohm impedance) 4 x primaries and 4 secondaries like a rotary engine, reclaiming another 4 amps during the idling stage totaling: 13.39 amps reducing draw back to 26 amps. At 14 volts output the alternator will need to provide 364 watts at 1200 rpm, still not there, max: is around 25-30 amps at 2500 rpm 0r around 350-420 watts. So, its a chicken and the egg scenario.

Fortunately I have an EMTES oil pump in the draw I bought but never fitted, so thats a no brainer.

AS far as everything else is concerned, I may give up the AFR gauge off the bike and run it off another stand alone battery for tuning, but that doesnt help me on road when I need to do a manual dyno (so to speak) and make adjustments on the fly to the AFR. Savings there minimal 2 amps however it does get me closer for sure.

Spoke to a guy at Suzuki today North of River, he is having a hunt around for specs only at the minute; to see what stators in the GSXR and GSX (1400) range produce the most output at 1000-1200 rpm, only something they would know. Given the commitment to the bike thus far, making mods to the left side of the engine that is removing the starter gear cog, modifying the spigot for the crankshaft (sizing) adding a flywheel and stator, with new reg rec to just charge the 2nd battery where all the accessories are connected, then making a new engine cover, suddenly doesnt seem to far as stretch. Some may find it mad of me, but hey, right now I have something special which needs further researching and frankly, its all about the journey as well as the end result.

Also going to remove the AC Generator off the bike and take it down to the locals here, see if we can squeeze some more lower rpm amps out of it, why not, nothing to lose right ?

No one can ever say I gave up, although I know my wife wishes I did

Chin up, the years not over yet.................
    Last edited by Scaramouche; 14-02-2019, 04:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• slowpoke
    replied
    Hooly dooly, 38amps is near enough to 500W! 0.5kW. Are you running a Holley Blue fuel pump or something? (p/t)

From memory all the early efi Ducati superbike stators are 350W, with race versions 180W. That’s with a fuel pump capable of supplying 5bar fuel pressure. Even the later stuff is 500W so would barely cope. Sorry, only mentioning for comparison.

Rather than upgrading the charging system an easier option might be to explore reducing consumption? Easier to replace an oversized fuel pump or run 1 low beam lamp than upgrade a charging system.

Apologies if I’m telling you how to suck eggs.

Leave a comment:

• Scaramouche
    replied
    Got to do a bit of tuning

Having idle issues because power draw down is around 38 amps with all this shit on it. Alternator wont work for real till it hits 1900rpm. Thats why its smokey. At 1200 rpm, ECU having a hissy fit.

Need to boost power supply now. It never ends

Leave a comment:

• Scaramouche
    replied
    Well, after a couple of weeks screwing around, we have something worth viewing.

90% there, few more things to tidy up just yet before the tuning phase begins.

Probably looking a week away for that.

First 8 injector GSXR1100 oil cooled slabby in the country I suspect Going to be well worth the pain and aggravation.

Right Hand Side without the Aluminium strap bolted on.

Leave a comment:

• Scaramouche
    replied
    Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
    Did those elecrical connectors come with the kit? Was trying to source something like that a few years back....couldnt find anywher here in AU that did them....for bikes that is.
    Bought the TPS connector out of the USA. Bought the Injector pigtails out of the UK. Australia carries fuck all that way.

Leave a comment:

• BusaSteve
    replied
    Did those elecrical connectors come with the kit? Was trying to source something like that a few years back....couldnt find anywher here in AU that did them....for bikes that is.

Leave a comment:

• Scaramouche
    replied
    Well, after a long and protracted nothing for almost 18 months enjoying the bike, 2 months ago I began gathering the EFI components to get that under way.

Why you might ask ? I want to have more control over power delivery and more precise tuning options.

Given that with EFI it now provides me with 1024 jetting sizes at the drop of a hat at the click of a button, won me over finally.

TB's have had the secondaries BF removed dont need that shit. Gave me the ideas I need to implement to make it happen and what needs sealing.

Like all things new and exciting, the list is endless and as usual custom parts are on the list too.

Microtech LT10C ECU.
    2 x 2.2 ohm Ballistic Coils (down from 3.0)
    A Dozen new pigtails.
    2 Add on relays
    Aeroflow fittings galore.
    Custom Billet Fuel Rail (for K7-K8 and Busas)
    K7- K8 Throttle Bodies
    8 Injectors.
    Air Sensor
    Temp Sensor
    Fuel Pressure Sensor
    5/16 (6AN) Fuel hose
    Aeromotive Regulator Return Style
    OEM TPS Connector
    Push Pull throttle cables made to length
    Higher rating Fuel Pressure Gauge
    6 Port boost / vacuum bank

The beauty of the Microtech system, Australian, updates are free and tech are a phone call away.

Should have heard the guy at the end of the phone when I said I want it for a bike - lolol. They normally play with rotaries im told, so a 4 cylinder should be a walk in the part

A few changes had to be made to mate the TB's to the head intake boots, namely adaptors. 34 doesnt go into 44 if you know what I mean.

That done, had to re-space them to match up - picture included.

Showing the bike as is, before I begin and a quick TB offering to the Gods, with the machined adaptors in place engine side. Clearances are going to be a bitch, but I need the 2 x 240-270cc (540cc combined) from both primary and secondary injectors on this project to satisfy 250 plus ponies. More to come as time and effort allows

Leave a comment:

• Scaramouche
    replied
    Originally posted by Hagarr View Post
    Good Job, really good to see you receive accolades from the best in the business.

may see you on a curve somewhere.

P.S. How you going about your E.F.I. ? Interested to know, took me 10 years on and off.
    Not yet bud. But one day soon I hope. Already sorted what Im going to use, just not ready to spend $3k doing it. Happy the way things are. Will be heading out sometime in September for a ride. Haven't thrown a leg over any bike since last year. Have been happily playing around tinkering doing maintenance on whats here at the moment. Taken on a K5 for a guy, waiting for him to cough up some money to make things happen,like getting it running would help. Cheers for the enquiry, catch you round

Leave a comment:

• roomandu
    replied
    That is an awesome project come to fruition there Scara.
    Excellent work n hat's off to effort you put in. Looks a treat.
    Drew

Leave a comment:

• Hagarr
    replied
    Good Job, really good to see you receive accolades from the best in the business.

may see you on a curve somewhere.

P.S. How you going about your E.F.I. ? Interested to know, took me 10 years on and off.

Leave a comment:

• Scaramouche
    replied
    Originally posted by duc13 View Post
    Have you got her running sweet now Scara?
    As best I can, still have some high end lean woes under boost, but will get there.

Just enjoying the ride till next year comes along and I invest in TB injection and better programmable ECU.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X