Royal Enfield Bullet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Enfield Bullet.

So, I have had the Bullet for about 2 months now. I have named it Simba.

Simba is a 2010 C5 model that I bought 2nd hand w/2000km's on the clock. A lot of people stop and ask me about it -most are shocked that it's only 3 years old. I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard "You've done a great job restoring it" haha. I was, generally, surprised the bike gets such a positive reception in Perth. One servo attendant even said "Nice Harley!" once, so I'm definitely never going back there again.

Background - like all good bikes, Enfields were originally British. After WW2 the company partnered with an Indian factory to produce them under license. The English factory shut down and they have been made there exclusively since the 60's. The bullet, incidentally, is the longest running production motorcycle in the world - the factory (either in England or India) has churned these bad boys out flat stick since 1948 uninterrupted. Until 2007 they had barely changed at all from the bullets of years gone but then Enfield stepped their game and released an EFI motor - now here I am with Simba.

It is a great LAMS bike and is just super for riding about town and posing with all the other classics wankers at cafe's......some say buying the C5 model is cheating but fuck 'em. I would have loved a classic Enfield, however I'm smart enough to know that EFI, electric start and at least one disc brake are all very good things. The rear drum brake is largely ornamental and provides no friction based stopping power in any way, shape or form.

I will use this thread to document the bikes slow progress from mediocrity, to vaguely improved mediocrity. I've made a few cosmetic changes so far, nothing outrageous though.

The first was a bloody wash - the guy I bought it off lost it in a divorce settlement and the wife gave it back a year later. It sat in her shed doing nothing for a year and looked it - plenty of caked on dust etc. He got it back eventually and immediately sold it to me, the bike was tainted for him after that.

Now at least it's rideable - nice and shiny! I also decided to test fit the saddlebags that old mate threw in when I bought it. I figured they didn't look good so I took them off again. My next mod was to go on a PSB learners ride 2 days after I bought it and kill-switch myself in front of 50 other people (all waiting for me), with an L Plate on the back. Jolly good show.

Then I rode it for a while and decided the stock mirrors were deplorable and wanted to get some bar end mirrors for added street cred. I settled on the Napoleon's after some deliberation. To be honest, i should have gone for the round Halcyon's as these are a little more 70's/80's than 50's style but I think they look good nonetheless.

I bought some new indicators and shocks off some older guy in Sydney - the indicators are a little smaller and more discreet and the shocks are Hagon - a vast improvement. As production processes improve, so too have the build quality and tolerances of the modern Bullet. The quality of construction and parts is generally of a high standard, especially for bikes built in India. Unfortunately, the suspension is not one of those parts and still kind of rides a little bit 1948 spec.....the Hagons on the back are very supple and smooth in contrast.

The indicators are purely for looks. I think they are much tidier than the "what's left over in the parts bin?" OEM jobbies.

Today I got sick of the 14km long exhaust and how inane and tractor-like it sounded. I had taken to calling it Victa now, after the great lawnmowers. It sounded like one.

I think I may have gone too far though........share your opinions on the matter. New vs Old:

Here is a quick video of me blatting up and down the street (mind the airplane noise):

And one in the driveway:

I think it sounds better than the old setup, although very raspy when applying the beans and probably too loud. What's PSB's opinion?
    Originally posted by tank-wombat
    Geoff seems like a wise man who's soul will slowly be destroyed by the stupidity of some people
    ----------------------------------------
    TRX 850.

You call your bike simba?

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw86 View Post
      You call your bike simba?
      Yeah mate, what of it?!
      Geoff seems like a wise man who's soul will slowly be destroyed by the stupidity of some people
      TRX 850.

Comment

Holding your phone upright while videoing, that's a paddling.

Re. the rear drum, have you tried getting replacement shoes (pads) for it. I don't know if it is still the case, but they used to be made of compressed elephant dung, it works and is environmentally friendly.
        Last edited by AliastheJester; 20-11-2013, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ge0ff View Post
          Yeah mate, what of it?!
          It's a bike yeah? Not a person!

Comment

Love it!
            Heres to a long and rewarding relationship between you and Simba.
            I went the upswept exhaust option on mine, didn't even give the stock bazooka a second look...but I like the blat of the megaphone you have going!
            The idle is a little too high on mine as yet, to be expected with only 200km on the clock, so I won't fiddle with it just yet.
            I've been looking at decent saddlebags, but without the pillion seat I'm afraid it'll score the chrome.
            We should hit swan valley soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw86 View Post
              It's a bike yeah? Not a person!
              No one on here names their bikes?!

Comment

Sounds like a toilet gargling a cubic metre of shit.

Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo73 View Post
                  No one on here names their bikes?!
                  It's more that most people don't talk about it in public, I think there is a thread on it somewhere.
                  I usually call them some easy form of the brand or model, kinda tricky now that I have two Suzukis.

Comment

Check out Perth Café Racers (via Facebook) if you haven't already.
                    There's a couple of members with Enfield's.

Yours is exactly the same model and colour that I rode through the Himalayas this year

Comment

Do you have LED's under that neutral light? Looks pretty bright. Think that'll be my first mod..cant see the N or the indicators for shit in the daytime.

Comment

Always loved Enfields, I still don't know why...

Comment

sounds like a jet when you get it going!
                          euphoric, ZRX1200R, XSR900, XR400

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll be out and about with Enfield when I can...... Terrorizing neighborhoods with its wet fart pipe.

Originally posted by Magoo73 View Post
                            Do you have LED's under that neutral light? Looks pretty bright. Think that'll be my first mod..cant see the N or the indicators for shit in the daytime.
                            Nope, haven't touched them. I was working on it in the patio so it's shaded and a bit darker. Easy to see.

I too find them hard to see, especially with my polarized sunnies on.
                            TRX 850.

Comment

Nice job so far Geoff, A mate of mine has had his for 5 years or more & is very happy with it.
                              I'll be calling mine Crankenstine (or cranky for short) when she is done because it's a real collection of parts. But it will still be a real triumph. Go the classic British bikes.

Comment

Working...
                              X