Crispy Honda XL500 project is GO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crispy Honda XL500 project is GO

On the weekend we picked up this Honda XL500 of 1980 vintage. And unlike my previous Suzuki DR400 project, this bike is assembled, runs and rides! It has a noisey top end, so will be investigating this first. Then we need to procure a wiring harness and lights etc so we can get it road registered. See Crispy Cyles for potential design schemes for the old girl.
    This is how she looks right now....
    Young enough to be a hoon, old enough to know better.

I might have some bits of one if those in the shed. Mine was stolen about 15 years ago, it had a big bore kit, head job, Marzocchis, Supatrap, clutch kit... It went like the clappers. I wheeled it for over a kilometer. Try loosening and tightening the cam chain adjuster. I'll have a looksee if I still have the original exhaust, carry rack, manual and maybe a spare barrel.
    -

Comment

Thanks Agrid, PM me with any parts you have.

Comment

XL continues

Really like the way these 16 x 3 wheels look on the XL500S. Rear wheel bolts right in with minimal modifications. The front wheel is a very different story, its a little bit too wide for the stock front end. Either USD forks or conventionals with wider leg spacing would do the trick. Looks like more brain-storming and research til late in the night is required....

Comment

If Agrid doesn't have the manual I can throw one your way
          faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Sorry I forgot about you while overseas. I'll look through the shed tomorrow. I have very well used manual too, original shocks must be somewhere along with the original exhaust.
            -

Comment

Thanks gents but I already have a Clymer manual.

Comment

Tank treatment.......

Comment

I have never cursed more than when kick starting my old XL500. Unless the engine was cold it was a bitch. Didn't have it for long and don't know if it was just needing a tune, but it drove me nuts. It was great once running though. Great fun blasting round the city.

Comment

Originally posted by yaabaa View Post
                    I have never cursed more than when kick starting my old XL500. Unless the engine was cold it was a bitch. Didn't have it for long and don't know if it was just needing a tune, but it drove me nuts. It was great once running though. Great fun blasting round the city.
                    Ha! It was all about technique, none of my mates could start mine but I could start it with my hand. I woke a bet doing it one time.
                    -

Comment

I have no problem starting the XL500 - starts first or second kick....

Comment

S.
                        Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

Sprint, that is exactly the bike that sent me down the XL500 route.......
                          UOTE=Sprint;3026146]

S.[/QUOTE]

Comment

With chrome guards.....

Comment

Front end swap is nearly complete

In brief - to get front wheel to fit properly, I needed wider triple clamps. Got one off ebay from a CB750 which fits except the stem. So a spare stem (XL250s) that i had got welded into the CB750 clamps to fit the bike, after a little cut and shut. Steering bearings are tapered rollers. Just need to weld a retainer to the brake plate to have a functioning front end. And a link for the brake cable! This has been years in the making - literally!

Comment

Working...
                              X