Honda H100A cafe! 2 smoke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda H100A cafe! 2 smoke!

Yes. Behold. A new dawn from 1970's technology- the 1980's[ish] Honda H100A! 100cc 2 stroke power!
    They used to race these as bucket racers over East. Probably gonna cafe it.

Edit- So over the coming weeks/months (more like months) I plan on getting her as close to stock as possible for rego. Need her running sweet, so if I need to do a tear down I will. Parts are cheap enough.
    Then I will turn her into whatever my heart desires!
    Expect a lot of pics and a running commentary on what I'm doing, as well as what I plan on doing. My other project, below, was just sent to KTec for timing chain/tensioner, clearances, tune and balance. So I'm pretty much finished with her in all her 80's awesome-font glory (besides a few fairing cracks and minor things)...
    http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...ects-d-141361/

This is gonna be siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiik!
    Last edited by SIKYSA; 05-02-2014, 06:14 AM.

1st question- can you charge batteries that are sealed with a trickle charger? Or not?
    It's a tiny battery. A quarter of the size of a normal battery.... Yes it should be a 6 volt system. No I'm unsure why it works with a 12 volt. But apparently it does.

Comment

Have installed front indicators onto sides of the headlight. Am now trying to figure out which cable does what.
      The guage is a second-hand acewell 2853. All the connectors have been cut though so just a bunch of cables. So far neutral and indicators/ignition/power/clock etc seem to work fine and are connected properly. While trying to kick her over the tacho rises as well (is that normal) So I guess that's ok too?
      It does not have the speed sensor with it. Cables are cut. Can I use this and just re-solder the cables together ?
      - Acewell S4 Speedo Cable for Honda, Yamaha, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki,KTM, Ducati

I've also pulled off the cone filter and have installed the original airbox for going over the pits. It needs a filter though (just foam) is there universal filter foam you can buy and cut to requirements? The air box metal braces for the filter are missing however so might go to a wrecker to find some. Bit of a shame as I'll be taking them off once registered. I'm trying to get it pretty much stock then the real fun begins. I've put on the front and rear guards also. Have started readjusting positions of levers and stuff but munched a few cheese screws and f*cked the brake lever. So I need a new one (with a thread for the cable?? what are they called??)

And finally I just can't get her to kick over and run. Sounds like a fuel/spark issue. Unless there's a trick to starting a 2 stroke with anything but the choke?

Edit- Just bought some new rear indicators similar to the front ones, bar end mirrors, a new 12v horn and the speedo adapter cable for the dash. My budget I'm setting myself is $1000 for this little bike. I'm currently at $377.90.
      Last edited by SIKYSA; 11-02-2014, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Ok so during my 'weekend' I've done some more work.

Re-wired the electrics so now everything works. Park lights, brake lights, indicators... the lot. Replaced a missing engine bolt and rear brake return spring. Pulled the exhaust off and dumped some degreaser inside and sloshed it about before running the bike for 20 minutes to dry it all out/expel remaining fluid.

I pulled the carb off and had a look. It's actually very clean. However I've decided against the stock airbox. I'm sticking with the pod filter. My query is jetting. It runs with choke on. Full on it's a bit hesitant but half choke seems to be the sweet spot.
        Does anyone with 2 stroke jetting experience know the correct way for me to go about doing this? She does run but blows a steady stream of smoke at all rpm so far. I'd rather it run rich than lean though.

Had a look at the piston/rings through the exhaust manifold when I had the exhaust off and she looks very clean/no scratching so I think she's alright in the lubrication department.

Also I'm bypassing the oil pump (for the 2T oil) as the original fuel/separate oil tank is very rusty inside. No holes or anything, just sounds like you're shaking a rattle when you pick it up. So there's an old cb250N tank on there with 33:1 mix inside that I'm currently using.

Comment

Another question- When I had the carb pulled yesterday I noticed a very small crack around one of the ball bearing stopper things. Bike runs but obviously I don't want bits of metal going into my engine. Not to mention I'm unsure how that will affect pressure/vacuum etc. Doesn't leak fuel. Just a crack either side of one of the little steel balls.
          Is it repairable with jbweld or similar? Or should I just buy a new carb? I found these-
          Honda H100 H100S MB100 Motorcycle Carb | eBay

Ultimately I want to rejet it for the pod filter. Might need some new jets. But I will wait for PSB collective to respond to that query.

Comment

you suck! I saw this bike for sale a while ago and wanted to buy it but you beat me to it

I know SFA about 2 strokes so can't help you too much.

Your first question about batteries though, I believe sealed batteries can take a trickle charge, so long as the voltage is regulated at or below 14V. I am in no way an expert on this, I just did some research on charging sealed batteries after I scored a solar battery maintainer one christmas.

I am not too sure about carbies or jetting. With the budget you have set and your minimal spending to date, maybe you should stretch for a new carbie? I can't imagine them being too pricey off ebay?

On another matter, I'm still waiting for the invite for the Kwaka ride
            my pics

Comment

do they run pre mix (25:1?) or autolubed?.... some models can be temperamental re which brand 2T oil is used...
              faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Yeah can't go wrong with a new one for a hundred bucks. Will just need to figure out the jets and am unsure how to do that. Think I will do a bit more research before swapping it out. I'll order it over the coming days. As for the battery I charged it up with a trickle charger and seems to have done the job! Yeah a good little project for me to work on. I like it because I can pick it up and move it around the shed. Couldn't do that with the ZX10.
                Originally posted by seandre View Post
                On another matter, I'm still waiting for the invite for the Kwaka ride
                [MENTION=5932]K-TEC Motorcycles[/MENTION] has the ZX10 in their workshop right now having the timing chain/tune/balance done! I know I've been lazy lately but I've been busy with things. Weeks turn to months... so on.

But shouldn't be too far off!

Comment

Originally posted by Biffer View Post
                  do they run pre mix (25:1?) or autolubed?.... some models can be temperamental re which brand 2T oil is used...
                  It was autolubed but the mechanism is disconnected right now, have been using a premix. The oil feeder/pump is still there. Would just need to try and reattach it to the throttle etc and am unsure how it all goes together. The workshop manual has a bit of info but no schematics that I can see...

As for the oil currently in use- it was what was in the tank when I bought it. I'm told it is 33:1. Willing to buy new oil and fuel if you can recommend anything

Comment

Can't give you any info about your ball bearing thing, because I'm not familiar with the model bike you have.
                    If the choke is helping it to run (either half or full) then the engine is most likely starving for fuel, caused by getting too much air from the pods.
                    Easiest way to tell is to check the spark plugs and look to see if they are running lean, if so, you'll need to increase the jetting to increase the fuel to air ratios

Comment

oh heck yeh, fresh fuel for sure, I use Castrol TTS for my two strokes.... it's a synthetic one, hasn't had any issues... some of the older ones I add some R30 (castor oil)
                      33:1 sounds about right but ya may wanna confirm that
                      faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Can't give you any info about your ball bearing thing, because I'm not familiar with the model bike you have.
                        If the choke is helping it to run (either half or full) then the engine is most likely starving for fuel, caused by getting too much air from the pods.
                        Easiest way to tell is to check the spark plugs and look to see if they are running lean, if so, you'll need to increase the jetting to increase the fuel to air ratios

Comment

Over the weekend I'll pull the carb again, get model numbers and check and see if there are any markings on the jets to indicate what sizes they are. As for the spark plug, would running it for 20 minutes give me any indicator as to it running lean/rich? I'll pull it out and have a look.
                          I'll order a new carb and see what comes inside (standard jets I guess?) then order some bigger jets if I can. Will also buy some fresh fuel and some 2 stroke oil mentioned above.
                          Will keep you all posted

Comment

Most tend to recommend a new set of plugs (properly gapped). Get the bike to temp and run it at full throttle over a short distance. Then stop at the side of the road and pull the plugs, this will tell you what the main jets are doing.
                            There's plenty of information on the web re setting up and jetting carbs, and also how to identify the problems based on where in the throttle movement you are getting the hesitation.
                            If you need any of these , let me know and I'll post up the links.

Comment

I'll buy a few new plugs for her soon. Might just have to prop the back wheel and rev the shit out of her to check the plugs.
                              The carb (which is NOT stock according to the manual) is pictured below:
                              Carb on there now:
                              Spoiler: show

They are the only markings on it. It is different to the one in the service manual. Just no idea what from.

Measurements of carb:

The manual states the 'venturi diameter' as 18mm. So this carb is the right size to stock, right?
                              Here is the busted ball bearing thing I was talking about:

And here are the important bits that don't state what size they are:

According to the service manual this should be the stock carb setting:
                              Keihin PF25A, 18mm venturi diametre.
                              Main fit: 115 (what does this mean? what is this a measurement of?)
                              Main air jet: 150 (same questions as above)
                              Air screw setting 1 1/8 turns out.

Once the new carb from the US arrives I'll have a look and see if the internals match the above info.
                              But if I'm re-jetting for the pod filter, I'd only need a larger main jet, right? And where would I get a single main jet from ?

Comment

Working...
                              X