Aprilia SXV550 Engine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aprilia SXV550 Engine...

Ok, I thought I would do this thread to let people see what's what in a small performance V twin engine.

I bought this engine as a spare. I was lucky to get a good engine for a good price out of the USA.

The engine was sold to me as a genuine 30 hour old never been apart engine, from what I see this is true.

So I am stripping, inspecting, replacing what needs replacing and then re sealing this engine.

Aprilia built the SXV(Supermoto) and RXV(Enduro) V twins in two capacities, the 450cc and 550cc. The 550cc is a bored and stroked 450cc with bigger throttle bodies. The engines are quite compact and light, approx 30kg, and produce good power. The 550cc with stock exhaust, open air box and a tune is good for 65 -70hp. Throw a pipe on and tune will see the 70 - 75hp range.

I will update as I go, the engine is already stripped, so I will get it up pretty quickly.

Ask any questions and I will confirm and dispel the myths about these engines/bikes...
    Last edited by Rich...; 23-11-2014, 07:27 PM.

First up, remove the water pump. 4 bolts and the impeller, quick and easy. The SXV doesn't use a thermostat in the cooling system so the water is continuously flowing around the engine. I have found that when moving they run quite cool, and only sitting at traffic lights gets them hot and the single thermo fan starting up.

Last edited by Rich...; 23-11-2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Remove clutch cover and strip clutch.

Crankshaft gear is the main drive gear, it's bolted on to the end of the crankshaft. It drives the Timing shaft gear driving the camshafts and the water pump. The Clutch is also driven from the crankshaft gear and then in turn drives the oil pump gears driving the oil pump.
      Last edited by Rich...; 23-11-2014, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Off with the rocker cover.

These engines are single cam, four valves per cylinder, with a automatic decompressor.

Last edited by Rich...; 23-11-2014, 07:31 PM.

Comment

The automatic decompressor is simple.

Stopped or below idle speed the weight is held in by a small spring, and the decompressor shaft sticks up into the cam profile area. Causing the exhaust valves to open slightly on the compression stroke, lowering compression.

This is required due to the small starter motor and 12.5 to 1 compression ratio.

At speeds of idle and above the weight swings out, and the decompressor shaft turns to a cutout in it.

Last edited by Rich...; 23-11-2014, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Out with the cam.

Off with the head.

These engines are built with a cylinder liner that drops into the crankcase.

Last edited by Rich...; 23-11-2014, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Off with the stator cover and flywheel.

Last edited by Rich...; 23-11-2014, 07:35 PM.

Comment

This is awesome.

Comment

NICE would be really handy if i had an sxv
                  huh?

Comment

I assume you will be demonstrating how to fit a helicoil when reassembling as well rich?
                    B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
                      I assume you will be demonstrating how to fit a helicoil when reassembling as well rich?
                      No this engine has never been apart before so should be all good...

Only after the bolts have been in and out a few times do you need to start helicoiling...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
                        No he is just waiting for me to strip one on my sxv motor first, but I think I'm good, for now.

Comment

I'm surprised you don't have an engine stand for working on it. Somewhere I came across and downloaded a 3d model of the engine. If you send me a sketch I might be able to knock a few manufacturing drawings up for a stand. Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanz View Post
                            I'm surprised you don't have an engine stand for working on it. Somewhere I came across and downloaded a 3d model of the engine. If you send me a sketch I might be able to knock a few manufacturing drawings up for a stand. Let me know.
                            Hey mate...

I have heard of the 3d model being out there, and I have a few pictures of stand...

I'll see if I can find the info, I do want a stand as it makes things a little easier for the rebuilding process when putting the case halves back together...

We need to go for a ride and a drink too...

Comment

Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing. Wish I had half your knowledge and ability. Look forward to the rebuild

Comment

Working...
                              X