No announcement yet.

Project SBK: 2016 ZX10R - From street to track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you run stock rearsets or aftermarket? Also what fuel controller do you run - a self mapping one?
    2012 Suzuki GSX-R600 Black with Lowered Seat, Rad Guard, R&G Frame Sliders, Hel Braided Lines, Vortex Rearsets
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEL...FK0eXmo3exQB_Q

Comment

• Hey bud,
      I'm running vortex rearsets. Few reasons I went for them. Really grippy peg, shift and brake levers are on a pivot independent of the footpegs and have folding toe peices too. Also damn sturdy.

The fueling is being done via the Kawasaki race kit ECU. It's yet to be dyno tuned, but the base map is working very well with the air filter and exhaust changes.
      The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

• Argh i see. So with a race ECU you dont need the seperate fuel controller or ecu flash. Interesting.

I had vortexes on my gsxr, but could never get comfortable with them, so switched back to stock. I think its because the lower settings need the fairings cut which i never wanted to do.
        2012 Suzuki GSX-R600 Black with Lowered Seat, Rad Guard, R&G Frame Sliders, Hel Braided Lines, Vortex Rearsets

Comment

• Thanks for the write-up, Aaiden. Bike looks bitchin!
          I'm looking for a beautiful woman with a sick mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by tim661 View Post
            Argh i see. So with a race ECU you dont need the seperate fuel controller or ecu flash. Interesting.

I had vortexes on my gsxr, but could never get comfortable with them, so switched back to stock. I think its because the lower settings need the fairings cut which i never wanted to do.
            Correct. Everything is adjustable from within that. Though it won't work on a street bike.

Originally posted by harpo View Post
            Thanks for the write-up, Aaiden. Bike looks bitchin!
            Cheers mate.
            Not too many updates since I've been in here. Been a long road, but more or less good to go now.

Comment

• you support re-opening barbs..how does the run off at Phillip island compare to Barbs?

Comment

• The track is faster, and has more run off.
                There are many areas where you can easily reach a wall. A wall was installed 'recently' to prevent riders leaving the circuit at one point from rejoining at 90° at another point.
                I'm not sure what that has to do with my bike though.

I'd appreciate if you kept comments about barbagallo in the threads about barbagallo.
                Cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by 66 View Post
                  Righto....

So, after far too long between drinks, it was finally time to get the mighty ZX10-R on track for a return to racing.

Despite having had the bike fro months my balancing act of parts vs laps remained until the very last moments, having the vinyl work completed only days before the event, and collecting a set of brake pads around lunchtime Friday before driving down to set up the garage. Most riders were already on track at this time, but I would not be joining them until qualifying on Saturday morning.

Our very limited laps during these qualifying sessions were interrupted by a red flag, and dominated by high winds. It yielded great speeds down the straight, but turn 3 was horrendous; So bad it felt as though the front wheel would be lifted from the ground at full lean while passing the apex. Really, just not pleasant riding, though I ended up 2nd in the session. I had opted for a slightly shorter gear ratio to begin with, but the tail wind saw me stuck on the rev limiter at around 298km/h. For the second session I removed a tooth from the back end, and though I couldn't better my morning's time of 1:38.532, dropping to 7th place as the winds increased again, I was starting to feel a little more comfortable on the bike.

Late Saturday afternoon saw Race 1 take place.
                  Truth be told, it was pretty uneventful. lots of guys running nose to tail, but not much of note. Came home 8th.... but managed a 301Km/H pass down the front straight! That raised more than a few eyebrows.

Sunday started with a very brief warm up. An out lap and an in lap. No chance fro timing, so just pulled a mono through 4th gear from turn 12 halfway down the front straight.

Race 2 was to be 12 laps, and I knew it was going to hurt.
                  My initial jump from the line was terrible, but got it hooked up through the second phase and as I grabbed 3rd gear, and again in 4th, the shear power of the ZX took over and I rode down the kerbing on the outside before tipping into turn one around multiple riders, and settled into an eventual 3rd place. Fast forward a lap, and power won again, sliding into 2nd on the inside of turn 1. Every session of the weekend, I was fastest through the speed trap. This bike is FAST. Not once was I passed down the straight, even with a slip stream, people observed bikes loosing ground to me. I got roughed up more than a few times with some pretty hard passes, and despite posting my best ever lap of the Island at a 1:37.662, I was 6th across the line. Cramping hard, the 1000cc machine is simply more bike to wrestle with over a 20 minute race. It's a focal point of mine at the moment.

Race 3, well that was an eye opener.
                  Another start much the same as race 2, down the ripple strip fighting for a little room, but got sucked in at turn 2 watching another rider and loosing awareness of the track. I was too wide and in 4th place, running on the outside of another bike. Side by side on the exit of the turn I knew I'd be able to outrun them to the apex of 3, but carried so much speed on this run that I very nearly rear ended the next rider at the apex, and lost the place anyway. Now, exiting turn 12 and looking for a good drive, I ran a fraction wide and onto the outside kerb. With recent works on the corner, the grip wasn't available on the kerb, and I spun up. It forced me to close the throttle for a split second, and before I could open up again, I was hit hard from my left.

It dragged me off the side of the bike and ripped the bars to full lock, arcing me hard left towards the pit wall. I managed to gather it up very quickly, and looking to see what had happened, I saw the other rider heading even faster towards the wall, in all sorts of trouble. Somehow, he managed to get his wheels into a section of dirt no more than 20cm wide beside the wall, and despite cleaning up a pitboard, continued on without any further contact. Very, very lucky for the both of us.

At this stage my arm was feeling pretty second hand from the impact, and I simply wanted to make it across the line. I managed to do so in 5th place, taking 4th for the weekend through consistency.

I'd have liked to have been faster, I'd have liked to have placed higher, but it was a good shakedown run, and the bike made it home without a mark on it. Not too bad at all.

From here, I've decided that I will not be ready to ride at Winton's ASBK round, and will hold off returning to nationals until the start of 2017. I've got numerous practice days planned in the next couple of months, and may race again at Phillip island for an interclub meeting. The goal is to return to racing as best as I can be, and right now, I've got too much work to be done to be at the level I know I can ride at.

and now that you've survived all of that crap.... Photos.

(as an idea of how stupidly good the new Pirelli slicks are becoming, look at my gear lever in the above photo.... I was grinding that out in Siberia. The lean angles on these are incredible)
                  Awesome colour scheme! Love the yellow, from watching the races on SBS the other weekend the yellow stands out amoungst the other bikes.

Comment

• The colour definitely stands out.
                    Some would say it looked like a banana skin lying on the track at one corner.

That sucked! A bit of bad luck Buddy.
                    I hope the wallet didn't take a beating.

Comment

• Haven't had time to fully assess the damage. (Home at 1 am, work at 6am, 3 days of work, and on a plane by 4pm Wednesday for another 4 day race meeting)

Initial thoughts are that it's in pretty damn good condition after two offs.

Glad to here the colour stands out.
                      It was always my intention to do so. Easy to spot even in a grid of 40 bikes at P.I. 👌

Comment

• Yeh, was gonna say. Was just re-watching the PI ASBK and the thing sticks out like dogs balls.
                        Originally posted by Rocket
                        Hahah yeah, cos if there's one thing that scares the shit out of people, it's a bunch of 60kg computer geeks on GPX250's wobbling into a carpark.

Comment

Working...
                        X