No announcement yet.

scooter custom paint project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread. Love the hills-hoist drying rack!
    Spiral out, keep going...

Comment

Thanks mate,had to rip out the clothesline to fit the new shed i built to spray in.
      Clothesline works well for drying parts. Bought a bag of rapid set (still sitting in the ute)
      when i pulled the clothesline out but have been to busy painting to sort it out.

Here's some random pics from the last couple of days. Today i'm clear coating so this arvo should have some
      nice photo's

Cheers.

Comment

so when are you taking orders for people to get bikes painted? .
        Originally posted by Paraletic
        little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Comment

Probably when i get rid of some of these jobs, and set myself up a bit better.
          Thanks for the comment.

Just finished putting the clear down on some of the parts.

Bit of a long process having to wait between coats with the weather
          but i'm getting there.

I'll get more pics this arvo when it's all done.

Comment

That's some seriously nice work.

Comment

Thanks sporti, some of the parts are going to be wet sanded and flow coated with clear
              so theyre nice and flat (one of the perks of textured paint).

Anyway i took some nicer pics after the clear had set a bit,and i got all the parts together.

Theyve all had the same amount of candy on there,the lights just playing games
              making some parts look like different colours in the light.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

Ok,started putting some of the scooter back together. The one piece that's holding me
                up i haven't done anything with yet, looking for advice here.

It's one of the bits that crazed up at the start.The plastic was bare,then scuffed,had 2pac
                primer,then 2pack base. The basecoat crazed up on the primer. Like i mentioned before
                i think it was because i used a strainer twice,it's the only thing i can think of except
                water/shit in the airline?

Anyway, for anyone in the know, how would you rectify this? I want a lasting finish
                and for it not to happen again. Blasting it back to plastic sounds the best method
                but is there a chance i could sand the affected areas and go over it?

I'll have a go at sanding it first, hopefully i can get all of it out.

Here's some pics.

Scooter starting to look like a scooter again

And the piece in question.

Cheers.

Comment

Very cool.
                  -

Comment

Did you use plastic adhesion promoter?

Comment

the primer was still curing,you needed to leave it longer before applying base

in colder weather drying times are longer

aaaand, ive noticed on a few of the scooters i do,mainly vespa, the type of paint they use just reacts like that anyway to anything you try and spray over it

go show it to maro or joe at premier auto paint in malaga

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

I deal with Mario all the time. Top bloke.

The primer went on nice, sat in the sun for a while then got painted like all the other parts, Must be contamination somewhere
                        on my part. When it happened i went into Premier and bought an air line filter. I had a small one but it wasnt really
                        up to it. The new one is an aluminium bodied unit that takes toilet rolls which is pretty cool, so my air should be a lot cleaner now.
                        I always wait between coats. Religiously.

No plastic primer, just the upol high build stuff.

Hopefully i can sand it out and start again.Bloody thing.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

The problem piece has been sandblasted and primed and will sit for a while before paint.

Some of the other scooter parts that i wasnt happy with the finish on, where colour sanded and re-cleared.

Starting to sand out the orange peel

Then reshoot clear over the parts when theyve been sanded back flat.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

Finally got the effect on the troublesome bit.

Also did a bit of tidying up on the scooter. Painted the front brake cover things,
                            washed the wheels and pulled the muffler of,wire buffed it and sprayed with high temp
                            ceramic exhaust paint.

Be hopefully sanding,candying and clearing that part tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

I need to get some photos in better light but she's looking like a scooter again.

I'll take some snaps tomorrow of it in the sun. The front fairing will want a colour sand and buff
                              but she's getting there.

Thanks for looking.
                              Last edited by Atley; 27-06-2016, 06:00 PM.

Comment

love to see that in the flesh !

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Working...
                                X