GPX 250 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPX 250 project

Long story with this, but I'll give you the short version. Been wanting a bike since I was 18, 27 now and the missus agreed to let me get a bike as long as it was a project bike.
    Picked up this GPX 250 back in July. The bike had apparently been stored for two years. Not too well considering the about of dust, dirt and grass seeds I keep finding.
    The stickers on the upper fairing are what led me to this forum.
    Wasn't running initially, but got it going within a week. Since then I've been stripping it and cleaning it as much as possible
    Plans are to fix it up, repaint it, and fit as much luggage space to it as I safely can so I can use it for short camping trips with a few mates who have similar setups

sure i saw this one on perth beer economy a while ago.?
    Originally posted by Paraletic
    little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Comment

The bike had apparently been stored for two years.

In a swamp. ? LOL
      What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

Someone may recognise the bike, but there would have been a few thousand GPXs pass through over the years.

Pretty hard little things, so should serve you well.
        The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Good lord man. If you get that thing running and looking respectable, post follow-up pics

Comment

Wow nice job. That looks like its going to be awesome when its finished. Most of the wear looks like it would come off just fine with a bit of tlc. Im not familiar with air shifters, but i noticed a bunch of linkages between the pedal and actual shaft. Is that one on the left? Are the gears still ok?

Comment

Originally posted by TROUBLE View Post
              The bike had apparently been stored for two years.

In a swamp. ? LOL
              Farm is my best guess XD

Originally posted by INTJ View Post
              Good lord man. If you get that thing running and looking respectable, post follow-up pics
              Well, I don't know about looking respectable but I did have it running!

Pretty noobish video, but she ran nicely. Idles at about 1.5k rpm, revs very nicely up to 14k

Originally posted by Bang View Post
              Wow nice job. That looks like its going to be awesome when its finished. Most of the wear looks like it would come off just fine with a bit of tlc. Im not familiar with air shifters, but i noticed a bunch of linkages between the pedal and actual shaft. Is that one on the left? Are the gears still ok?
              Not sure about the gears being okay, as its my first ever bike, but it shifts from neutral to first and from first to second just fine while running.
              Thankfully a lot of the wear is from aged and poor storage. It is 28 years old after all

Comment

GPX's Live forever.
                What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

Originally posted by TROUBLE View Post
                  GPX's Live forever.
                  Lets hope!
                  The engine is at 88 thousand kms though, so I've started sourcing newer ones just in case

Comment

Started tackling some of that surface rust on the exhaust

Comment

There's a GPX wreck on Gumtree at the moment. Go see what parts are worth grabbing from it.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mayla...ing/1120338061
                      One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by Tango89er View Post
                        Lets hope!
                        The engine is at 88 thousand kms though, so I've started sourcing newer ones just in case
                        as the clock only gues up to 99thou most ofthe lower km ones have just been around the clock once or even twice.

if you need another motor i have one sitting in my shed at the moment. i brought it for the clutch basket but havent gotten to removing it yet.
                        Originally posted by Paraletic
                        little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Comment

I have a full factory workshop manual for that series if you want it. PM me and we'll arrange a pickup
                          Honda Blackbird, The gentleman's weapon of choice
                          Barbeque sauce is the devils bum gravy

Comment

Originally posted by Benny D View Post
                            as the clock only gues up to 99thou most ofthe lower km ones have just been around the clock once or even twice.

if you need another motor i have one sitting in my shed at the moment. i brought it for the clutch basket but havent gotten to removing it yet.
                            Originally posted by BLK'N'BLU View Post
                            I have a full factory workshop manual for that series if you want it. PM me and we'll arrange a pickup
                            I'm fine on both counts for now, but I'll definitely keep those generous offers in mind.
                            This forum is so much more friendly than what I'm used to

Comment

Give it time[emoji848]
                              Honda Blackbird, The gentleman's weapon of choice
                              Barbeque sauce is the devils bum gravy

Comment

Working...
                              X