20xx VTR 250 - I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20xx VTR 250 - I think

A mate of mine from school offered this to me for cheap, so thought I'd have a go and see what happens... Another mate of mine has ID'd it as a 2009 model, which appears to be EFI. This is the punch-list I've been told it needs, and the info I have to go on:

*new seat
    *fuel needs to be drained and everything to do with the fuel pump and stuff needs to be replaced
    *no idea where the key is I don't know if that matters

My housemate bought it 4 years ago then gave it to me after 2yrs and I know it worked perfectly. Then it just sat there for a year under a thing, we tried to start it and it wouldn't. Then it sat another year in weather. The starter motor did stuff but it wouldn't kick over.
    These are the only pics I have of it right now

Thoughts and ideas on specific things to look for on these would be great. I'm assuming it'll need new plugs/leads, brakes gone over, oil, coolant/core flush, possibly injectors cleaned, tyre condition checked and the frame and tank look like they need some paint too.

Plan A is to get it going and rego'd again, then see how it rides and if I want to keep or flog it.

Cheers
    200cc Chinese pit-bike
    VTR250 Project
    GS250 Edge buggy
    2015 PX Ranger 3.2L XLT
    2004 UZ Explorer Limited 4.6L
    1994 Fairmont 4.0t
    1968 Fairmont 347 stroker

It's the battery...
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

It's the Flux Capacitor.... Doesn't need a key....
      What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

I'm assuming he's heard the starter engage but not crank over, so I'm hoping it's the battery too
        200cc Chinese pit-bike
        VTR250 Project
        GS250 Edge buggy
        2015 PX Ranger 3.2L XLT
        1994 Fairmont 4.0t

Comment

Give ya a hundred bucks for it. I need a bunky 250 for nipping up bottlo etc

Comment

8 years on a tug as an IR, pretty sure you can spend two or three grand and get one of these.....

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-motorcyc...c18626l3008845

http://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/?q...ion=Refinement

Why waste time and money? not to forget all the hassle..
            Best I can do to describe the issue is this.
            Normally it goes BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, shift, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

But now it's a bit more like this
            BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-R-R-r-r-r-r-r-, shift

exan

Comment

20xx VTR 250 - I think

Based on the gauge cluster that's an early 2000s model they were speedo only in that era. Then around 04ish they switched to have a speedo and a tacho. Pretty sure I'm seeing the throttle linkages on the carbys on the right hand side as well.

Good luck, look like it needs a fair bit of work though. They are great bikes with out doubt though!

pS, I've got this one for sale if you just want a working one sooner.
              https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=183446

Comment

That's definitely early 2000s

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

yeah i think that thing will be more effort & parts than its worth (wheel bearings/ steering bearings / no doubt the forks would need a service etc etc etc) and in my experience a motorcycle is left to rot for a reason ie exploded clutch / busted gear box / bottem end that sounds like the bell tower / been ran out of oil and so on

the best upgrade for that thing would be some unleaded 91 & a match

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Shabadoo View Post
                    Give ya a hundred bucks for it. I need a bunky 250 for nipping up bottlo etc
                    No way, man... that's what I paid for it

Originally posted by BikeONE View Post

Why waste time and money? not to forget all the hassle..
                    Gotta do something on my RnR, this doesn't take up much space. And as I said above, it only cost me $100 so if it won't play ball easily then it doesn't matter if it goes to scrap or bridge out any faulty electrics and paddock bash it

Originally posted by mattDC5R View Post
                    Based on the gauge cluster that's an early 2000s model they were speedo only in that era. Then around 04ish they switched to have a speedo and a tacho. Pretty sure I'm seeing the throttle linkages on the carbys on the right hand side as well.

Good luck, look like it needs a fair bit of work though. They are great bikes with out doubt though!

pS, I've got this one for sale if you just want a working one sooner.
                    https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=183446
                    Thanks, would be nice if it's carby instead of EFI, in terms of being able to work on it at home... I'm waiting on some better pictures of it, hopefully they'll reveal more.

Does anyone know where the VIN is on these? Usually bikes have a plaque on the frame somewhere, don't they?
                    200cc Chinese pit-bike
                    VTR250 Project
                    GS250 Edge buggy
                    2015 PX Ranger 3.2L XLT
                    1994 Fairmont 4.0t

Comment

The vin sticker is on the right hand side of the frame, top spar up near the head stock. Looks visible on your photos just above the coolant reservoir filler.
                      Stamped on the right hand side of the head stock tube as well.

Comment

wicked, cheers man
                        200cc Chinese pit-bike
                        VTR250 Project
                        GS250 Edge buggy
                        2015 PX Ranger 3.2L XLT
                        1994 Fairmont 4.0t

Comment

So it got a fresh battery put in and fired up straight away with some fuel tipped down the carby throat.... and holding the starter button in while rocking the kill switch to get it to crank, hasn't missed a beat since

winning for $100 Pretty sure this VIN decodes to a 2000 model

200cc Chinese pit-bike
                          VTR250 Project
                          GS250 Edge buggy
                          2015 PX Ranger 3.2L XLT
                          1994 Fairmont 4.0t

Comment

Working...
                          X