• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally a nice frame to begin with

all the brackets and tabs

and the gearbox exploded and cleaned

Comment

Wow that frame turned out real nice! Are you happy with the job they did?

Comment

Yes. To my amateur eye it appears flawless. I wonder though if there is too much black? Everything is black. (For now...)

Comment

#Yacan'thavetoomuchblackonaNorton ;-]
          " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

subscribed!
            Home is where the Art is.

Comment

have you considered polishing your instrument cases? I'd never liked the move to black from the earlier polished. They use incredibly tough finish on them, I used multiple applications of paint stripper before finishing off with wet and dry, got down to 1200 for the final application, then just used Mothers on them. probably not as good a finish as the metal polishers, but they were 600k away.

Mine is a Mk111, and I did away with the original binnacle later with a CNW job

Last edited by ranmar850; 17-04-2018, 07:33 AM. Reason: typo
              " Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill"

Comment

Damn I can't believe it has been 17 months since my last post, so time for an update.
                I took the engine head in to be repaired early in 2018 because it was in very poor condition and I thought the most expensive component to get finished. At the same time my girlfriend was planning a big overseas holiday so I wasn't in a big hurry for it to be done, luckily. As it turned out it sat on the shelf for over a year untouched even when I started making regular stops by to check on progress. It got to the point I contacted engine builders in Victoria and England for quotes and decided to collect my head and ship the whole engine off for a rebuild. On the day I went to get it it was ready for collecting to my surprise. The exhaust ports which were heavily corroded are replaced with inserts. New valves and springs, quite a bit of internal welding and bead blasting. So in the end I'm really happy to have it back like new but was really frustrated for a while. I even went looking for a 'fullauto' head and would have probably bought one if I found one.
                Once again I'm regretting not taking pictures beforehand.

Comment

I can't put all the blame on the head repairs as life gets in the way sometimes and last year was no exception. After the big trip with the GF where I had a great time but spent all my money we broke up. Then I sat around unemployed for a while before getting a fifo job and spending most of my time away.
                  I eventually found some motivation to get some work done on the bike and started chipping away again. Firstly the wheels, I wanted to keep the original rims as they have 'Made in England' stamped on them but they were quite rusty and would have cost more to repair than buying a new pair. So now I've got new stainless steel rims and spokes. I decided against chroming the hubs because they are a bitch to clean and polish so they have been vapour blasted and clear coated. I replaced all the old wheel bearings with new sealed bearings so theres no need for grease in there now.

Now that the wheels are back together I wish I had chromed the front hub, it would have looked much better but I guess I can do it later if it really bugs me.
                  Last edited by wonky; 10-04-2019, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Getting the chrome parts redone became a hassle as well because Kerry at k&d finishes work before Christmas and didn't start again until halfway through March. But he has most of my shiny parts now and I hope to have them back in a few weeks. I was hoping he could do the fork tubes as there are spots of corrosion on both of them but he doesn't do hard chroming so I will probably have to buy new ones.

The brake calliper is also disassembled and will get new pistons and seals.
                    So now I've got shit everywhere and I don't know where I'm at but I think thats called progress.

Comment

try hardchrome sales in Kewdale
                      All good girls should whistle!

Comment

Working...
                      X