Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birthday makeover for a 88 ZX10 (part two)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday makeover for a 88 ZX10 (part two)

It's been a while since doing anything motorbike related. I bought a house.
    But now I'm back!

This thread was the original: https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=141361
    In it, I replaced a lot of parts and registered the beast of a bike (that I've wanted since I was a kid)
    It's a 1988 ZX10.

My mission this time around:

This bike was manufactured in July 1988. I have about 9 months to get it as new by July next year. That's what I want to do.
    I'm talking a sand blasted and repainted frame, blasted and polished wheels, fixing up the forks (one leaks...again), fixing the fairings up as much as possible (or might get Potato to do it if he's still around), reconditioning the rear shock, ensuring the cooling system is A1.
    I want to keep it original as much as possible. The only factory part I don't have is the chain guard. I have a steel one instead.
    I have 9 months, not a huge budget, but I will get it done.

Here she is once I'd completed the project (kinda) a few years ago. She was fun to ride, with a few niggling issues. One of which was a constant rattle from the drive. I thought it was the chain, but turns out two engine mounts were broken.

So the stripping begins!

Then I dropped the engine, I made an engine stand out of a concrete slab, dirt bike lift and some old fence posts I had laying around:

Not very OHS... that last one...

I could finally see both broken mounts clearly:

And now as she is, ready for further stripping and welding of the tabs back onto the frame:

My questions for the PSB brains trust:
    How much do I need to strip for the mounting tabs to be welded back on? Can I have a rolling frame, or does everything need to be removed?
    Any recommendations for someone who can weld the tabs back on?

It's an aluminium frame. Can I have it sandblasted then polished? Or what would the process be to get it looking schmick? For the wheels also??

There looks to be some corrosion within the cooling tubes on the engine itself. Is there something I can do to get rid of it, then prevent it from advancing?
    I do have a spare engine that I plan on rebuilding eventually, but will use the current engine for a while longer.

Fairing repair? Is potato still around?

Rear shock rebuild- something I can do perhaps?

Thanks all!

The rear shock is definitely something you can do at home then take it in for nitrogen recharge once it’s ready
    As for blasting sand (garnet) will be too harsh but a decent operator will know what media is best for the results that you want, I do a fair bit of soda blasting of ally at home on engine parts and, they come out as new but a little bit “dull”

Comment

Originally posted by Water pig View Post
      The rear shock is definitely something you can do at home then take it in for nitrogen recharge once it’s ready
      As for blasting sand (garnet) will be too harsh but a decent operator will know what media is best for the results that you want, I do a fair bit of soda blasting of ally at home on engine parts and, they come out as new but a little bit “dull”
      Great, thanks. Here is the spare shock I'll rebuild. Where do I start on the shock? The workshop manual doesn't show how to service it, simply where and how it connects:

There's a powder coating joint down the road from me so I might see what they think about the frame. The bike wasn't mirror finish anyway, more a matte Silver mostly with slightly polished upper frame and polished outer rims.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

Your going to need a better manual. If you pull the rubber gator off the plain aluminium coloured part should unscrew from the main body after that follow your nose, it'll make sense as you go.

Comment

Originally posted by SIKYSA View Post
          Great, thanks. Here is the spare shock I'll rebuild. Where do I start on the shock? The workshop manual doesn't show how to service it, simply where and how it connects:

FYI most OEM shocks aren't designed to be rebuilt I'd do some research as to whether parts are even available before pulling it apart

The std shock on the BB is technically non rebuildable, there is a mob in the UK that does it but it's not economical to get one done from here I ended up getting a 95 Fireblade shock and getting it rebuilt/regassed and sprung for my weight years back for a reasonable price, they also aren't meant to be rebuildable but a lot of the parts are available and Dyno Time did the rebuild

Maybe look around and see if there is a shock from another bike that fits?
          #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
          Originally posted by Phildo
          Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
          Originally posted by filbert
          i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
          Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
            FYI most OEM shocks aren't designed to be rebuilt I'd do some research as to whether parts are even available before pulling it apart

The std shock on the BB is technically non rebuildable, there is a mob in the UK that does it but it's not economical to get one done from here I ended up getting a 95 Fireblade shock and getting it rebuilt/regassed and sprung for my weight years back for a reasonable price, they also aren't meant to be rebuildable but a lot of the parts are available and Dyno Time did the rebuild

Maybe look around and see if there is a shock from another bike that fits?
            I've done some research and can't find anything that would fit. I was hoping this shock was used by kwaka for a few years on other models than this one, but it seems this shock was only for this bike.

I've pulled it apart as much as I can and you're right- it doesn't look serviceable at all.
            However, it's actually in really good nic from what I can see. No pitting on the cylinder, no corrosion inside, everything looks good. So I think I might simply put some.oil and gas back in it and use it as it is. I'll give it a new coat of paint... But I think that's all I can do.

Buying a new shock from the UK will cost me nearly $700!!!

Any aluminium welders here? Can I have a rolling chassis, or does everything need to come off for the rewelding of the tabs?

Comment

What sort of aluminium is the frame? You'll want to research that before you commit to anything. Judging from the pics some elbow grease with a polishing rag after appropriate cleaning will be the best bet - you don't want to screw around with anodising unless you really need to.

As for the wheels a bead blast and re-paint would be the way to go.

Corrosion - acid cleans that off easily enough.

[MENTION=8418]potato[/MENTION] is still around - he's doing the fairings for my '85 GSXR (still, I think? )
              Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
              1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

I guess it dpends on how much you want to spend? If that $700 is for an OEM shock i'd be looking at an aftermarket like a Wilbers 540 Road (540-0353-00) $585AUD, a 640 Road (640-0200-00) $732AUD, 641 Competition (641-0200-00) $1024 or Hyperpro Shock Emulsion - Mono $699

FYI - Promecha reckon they can rebuild OEM type shocks
                #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                Originally posted by Phildo
                Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                Originally posted by filbert
                i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                  Promecha reckon they can rebuild OEM type shocks [/URL]
                  Thanks for the heads up, I'll email them about what they reckon. I want to keep the old damper adjustment dials and everything, so want to keep it stock as much as possible.
                  This might be exactly what I was hoping for.

Originally posted by Loud View Post
                  What sort of aluminium is the frame?
                  I don't know actually. Although it does look kinda likie the aluminium is 'painted' as where it's scratched down, there's a silver top layer then a distinct dark layer then back to silver.
                  Does that mean it's anodized? I'm happy to just put in elbow grease if that's all I can get away with.

I'll need to PM Potato. I have all the decals already printed, I'd just need the fairings repaired and painted. Probably one of the last steps though I reckon..

Comment

Nearly ready for welding.
                    Needs a clean.
                    Does anyone know whether I'll need to remove the head stem and bearings for welding? The welds are on the back engine mounts. I'm not familiar with the process, so am not sure...
                    Also, any recommendations as to who can do it? Maybe someone out Midland way?

Last edited by SIKYSA; 26-10-2017, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Have just been advised that the rear shock can't be rebuilt and to look at an alternative.

I took the aluminium brake carrier down to the powder coaters to get them to trial what works ahead of finishing the wheels proper. Should know in a couple of weeks whether they can do it.
                      I've decided not to blast the frame, simply give it a good clean and some paint where needed. I have some pretty spot on aluminium/silver paint I've had some success with on other pieces (peg mounts etc) so will do that instead.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapacrap

Comment

The bearings won't need to be removed.

Clean and degrease the mounting tab area as best as can. Then clean it again with alcohol. Tig welding doesn't have any flux to carry impurities away. So any contaminants in the metals will end up in the weld and make it look shit and weak.
                        In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

What's the best way to get these bare aluminium bits looking good? Or don't bother?

I'm degreasing, sanding away flakes/oxidation/paint on the various aluminium bits, then giving a lick of paint to each bit so they look like new.

Comment

Have a look at vapour blasting.

Might be what you're after.
                            In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

So, I put the bits in a alkaline degreaser bath, wash them off then into a hydrochloric acid bath (shit's crazy) and voila!

Comment

Working...
                              X