X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• =Maz=
    started a topic 1990 VFR400r NC30 - P6 RACE ONLY - FULL BUILD

1990 VFR400r NC30 - P6 RACE ONLY - FULL BUILD

Seeing as I destroyed my lovely wife's vfr at the 2017 Historic's State Champs, I was tasked with rebuilding the bike. But before we got to rebuild it I got a whole lot of learnin ta doo...and eyes even gots a storee fur u 2.

So Bike comes home and I finished the racing season with my wife on the other bikes. When I got my shit together the inside of the engine was in relatively good condition but one piston looked like this;

In the process of doing that there were three nice sized holes punched through the upper case though minimal damage to the lower case and crank.

Right, so the engine is FUBAR and only good for parts.

I get a lead on a local guy selling a damaged vfr engine but the bit I was interested in was the undercut gears...so I got the whole engine. Yay!!! His cases were also damaged and his pistons were oversize already.
    So extra spares basically.
    Checked out the local wreckers but all leads were a bust but one turned up in Melb at the same price as I got the undercut gears...numbers checked out and all I really wanted was the cases which were in good order from the pics.

Here comes the story.
    The Historics club were at PI for the International Festival of Speed and I posted in the FB group asking if someone could help get it back and if there was space in one of the containers.
    Space was there for me...just had to get the engine there. It was Midday their time on the Thursday before a long weekend...just to set the scene.
    I get a message from a guy I've never met who was a member of HCMC and was now living in Traralgon...he offered to pick the engine up and take it to PI over the weekend. Eight hour round tip in peak hour traffic and he calls me to tell me the engine looked pretty good, the cases were intact and he'd deliver it t PI on Sat(4-5hr round trip).
    The guy wouldn't take a cent...not for fuel, not for beer. What a legend.
    Engine arrived without Carbies, clutch plates(basket was still there) and no Sump...but it looks like the motor has never been apart and apart from the upper engine mounts, which have snapped in whatever misfortune led to the engine being at the wreckers, it looks to be in good nick...time will tell.

Aaaand...this is where I'm at at the moment;

• =Maz=
    replied
    Originally posted by slowpoke View Post
    Well done mate, you've stumbled across a unicorn from the looks of that unbelievably clean (inside and out) motor. If you'd told me that water pump was from a near new bike I would have believed you.
    I know right?! I have stripped down two other engines from the same model and the water pumps are brown and caked with old residue and do NOT look anything like this water-pump...I am seriously amazed.

But such beautiful lil' bikes! Kinda shows how far we haven't come with nobody making a "proper" lightweight sportsbike in a similar vein these days. What is the modern Honda equivalent? A CBR500? I mean, solid enough but nothing like the engineering in a VFR...and I feel myself turning beige just thinking about one, lol.
    I have always had a soft spot for the V4...2-stroke or 4 the sound is amazing. I've never understood the reluctance to pursue this technology...even after I looked at how cramped the head is and how tiny the spark-plugs are on these motors.
    As you know I love smaller capacity bikes and racing...like you there is very little out there that tightens my britches these days in that class and certainly nothing with the imagination/vision of the VFR400.
    There were a few teething issues with the one that went bang( it was called The Japanese Ducati for a while) but I think that is always the risk when you take on someone else's half done project and don't strip it to the bones to make a fresh start...as I am doing this time.

How'd you get on with rubber for it? Are you stuck with the 18" rear wheel or were there 17" options available in the period? More to the point, are they available now?
    I'm still running the 18 on the rear...there are options to change to the 17 which I will look at for both bikes as the time and budget allow.
    I've run the Bridgestone(Wet and Dry track tested) and the Continental on the 18" rim and been very happy with the results...specially for a "Touring Tyre", for want of a better description.

Thanks for the thread..
    Thanks for reading and contributing.

Leave a comment:

• slowpoke
    replied
    Well done mate, you've stumbled across a unicorn from the looks of that unbelievably clean (inside and out) motor. If you'd told me that water pump was from a near new bike I would have believed you.

But such beautiful lil' bikes! Kinda shows how far we haven't come with nobody making a "proper" lightweight sportsbike in a similar vein these days. What is the modern Honda equivalent? A CBR500? I mean, solid enough but nothing like the engineering in a VFR...and I feel myself turning beige just thinking about one, lol.

How'd you get on with rubber for it? Are you stuck with the 18" rear wheel or were there 17" options available in the period? More to the point, are they available now?

Thanks for the thread..

Leave a comment:

• xrsism
    replied
    Always wanted to ride one of these. Good luck with the build.

Leave a comment:

• =Maz=
    replied

I cleaned up the bottom of the heads to remove the old gasket material...I am still amazed at the condition of the engine that's 28 years old and was sitting around in a wreckers for who knows how long.

Leave a comment:

• =Maz=
    replied
    And inside the cases...which I don't believe have ever been opened before.

Leave a comment:

• =Maz=
    replied

So here are some more pics from stripping the engine...I am truly amazed at how clean the water pump on a 28yr old motor, who knows how long it sat at the wreckers for, is.

Leave a comment:

• =Maz=
    replied
    Now for the real prize...and the scary part...the engine.
    This is how it came from the wreckers in Victoria...once again my thanks must go out to Larry Moss who picked the motor up for me after an 8hr round trip and then drove it to Phillip Island(another 6hr round trip) so it could come home with some HCMC members who were there for an event.

Apart from a Sump, clutch plates and a cover the only problem with the motor appeared to be the broken Front engine mounts.
    So I set too tearing it down for inspection, I also have a few goodies to go into the new heart.

Leave a comment:

• =Maz=
    replied
    Well...it's been a long time since I started the thread and things bogged down, personally, holding up the project.
    But quite a bit has been going on while the forum has been down so brace yourself for some photos. lol

I started getting the frame back together seeing as that was really the easy part of the project.
    All bearings were inspected and either repacked or replaced...Head-stem ball-bearing replaced with a new and improved tapered set and also installed the fully rebuilt(and improved) standard rear shock.

Spare wheels, new rear disk, rear sprocket, Soda-blasted front calipers with new pads, light-weight front Axle, Titanium/SS bolts through the front end, new Clipons and grips. The tank has been stripped in preparation for an Epoxy lining and a repaint.

Leave a comment:

• =Maz=
    replied

Rims too.

Leave a comment:

• =Maz=
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    sounds like you need to take us out for a rectal conditioning ride tonight Maz..
    Well at least I showed up.

Leave a comment:

• =Maz=
    replied
    Dude...I'm so out of riding experience I'll be at the back till I lose everyone and head home.

Leave a comment:

• Ryanoceros
    replied
    Originally posted by =Maz= View Post
    If you rode your KTM hard enough you'd find the reliability factors we did with ours. lol
    sounds like you need to take us out for a rectal conditioning ride tonight Maz..

Leave a comment:

• =Maz=
    replied
    If you rode your KTM hard enough you'd find the reliability factors we did with ours. lol

Leave a comment:

• Ryanoceros
    replied
    Two Hondas, both needing major engine attention. Funny that. Meanwhile over here in KTM city, all is well..

Bloody Japanese Duchatis

Leave a comment:

Working...
X