Turbo Hayabusa Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Hayabusa Build

So it begins, After much saving and research i had a heap of parts arrive last week.

If you don't know already, my busa is about get a turbo upgrade.

Goal is to see 500+ at the rear, If all goes to plan we and the bike will head over to S.A. for the land speed trials in an effort to hit 250mph/400km/h.

Anyway, more will come once the bike gets torn down, but here's a selection of some of the parts that will be going into this to hold the beast together.

We start with the turbo itself, It's an externally wastegated turbo designed by precision, made by garrett. Not that ratings on turbo's mean to much but it's capable of flowing enough for 630hp. We will be cranking it up to around 35PSI of boost in race trim.

To help us achieve this amount of boost we need to lower the compression, this is done by a set of Forged JE turbo pistons and an .080" base gasket.

We are running cometic gaskets throughout as they are proven to hold together in this motor at high horsepower, two head gaskets just in case we pop the first while tuning.

Obviously the stock rods are not up to the task so i snatched a set of carrillo's finest H-Beam rods and bolts

For the top end we needed some stronger valve springs as the stockers are only rated at about 35lbs, if you do the maths, stock springs + 35psi of boost means the valves would be constantly open, well for a split second until the piston pushes them shut... Titanium retainers help hold the valve springs in place while adjustable cam gears and a manual cam chain tensioner keep the valve timing spot on. All of this gear comes from APE

Getting down to the bottom of the motor we will be running genuine suzuki bearings with the bottom end all held together with after market APE studs, both crank and cylinder head wont be going anywhere.

Now everyone seems to love this piece, Busa's have an issue with snapping the output shaft above a certain level of horsepower so the motor gets a Billet Output shaft which is made by APE aswell.

Getting all this power through a stock clutch would be a joke so i grabbed an MTC multistage lockup clutch, Basically you tune in slip up until a certain speed and then the arms start to apply pressure to the clutch plates to lock it up, It's tunable in three places which should be a good learning exercise. It comes with a new cover so you can fit it all in, a billet inner basket and pressure plate machined with contact points for when the arms start to clamp down.

Yes that's a big front sprocket, 20 tooth to be exact. gearing the bike for 400+ km/h and factoring in slip is hard but this sprocket helps us get there.

Most of this stuff isn't here yet so i just had to grab some pics off the net.

I am nearing the end of the parts gathering phase.

SARD Blow Off valve.

SARD Fuel Pressure regulator. This is a 1:1 rising rate reg, so while under boost it gains a pound of fuel pressure for each pound of boost.

Billet Fuel rail, This will allow us to a) fit larger injectors. b) flow more fuel than the stock fuel rail.
    we will be running fuel into both ends of the rail and the center port will run to the regulator above and then bleed excess fuel back to the tank.

Forgot about this one, It's the Innovate LC-1 Wideband controller, it will be used by the ECU to keep an eye on A/F ratio's and will be vital in the initial tuning of the engine. This is similar to the sniffer that they put in the exhaust when your on the dyno except this is mounted permanently.

The guys at Synapse Engineering helped me out with a good price on this new design external wastegate, It's unlike a conventional wastegate which uses a diaphragm, this instead uses a piston to control the wastegate valve. It's a 50mm vband gate.

Synapse Synchronic 50mm Wastegate is the first to revolutionize the wastegate industry by not using a diaphragm. Since there will be no diaphragm/membrane, it will be more responsive to changes in boost pressure. It is also the first pneumatically actuated wastegate that has a built in boost pressure adjustment at the actuator level without bleeding of pressure, which will produce mathematically rock solid boost levels. Another first is the ability for the serious tuner to use different combinations of valve size and spring rates in order to match to the specific engine’s performance profile.

Now i know before i said that i would be doing an air to air intercooler but after much discussion it was decided that it would be easier and provide alot more room for improvement to go with a water/air intercooler.

We were originally planning to build one but i managed to get a decent deal on an RCC Turbo's "Billet Ultra Plenum". These plenums are being used in the high horsepower applications in the states, have been used to generate 700+ horspower and the core has enough flow for 800hp. This is only a small part of the system and we will be building the rest. It still requires a smaller radiator to cool the heated water, a pump to provide water flow, and a tank to provide extra capacity. The tank will also be built to take ice blocks to further drop the intake charge.

Anyway thats all for now, i still have some more pictures to take of the other parts and will update when i do.

Update 30/01

Well I know it's been a bloody long time since ive been able to do an update, quite frankly it's because i hadnt done much. Well that has changed over the last 3 weeks and I have managed to progress a fair way along.

3 Weeks ago the bike was a bare frame/swingarm and was actually quite depressing. I was waiting on the final shipment of engine parts (don't know how many times ive said final, something else always comes up). The shipment was to contain all my bearing, fuel fittings, gauges and a new turbine housing to suit the turbo manifold that Richard at RCCTurbos.com hooked me up with. Only problem is that the turbine housing got stolen in transit, even though the tracking info says delivered...

The manifold, like the Billet intercooled Plenum is the same as supplied with Richard's "Ultra" kit as seen here, If any of you guys with suzuki's are looking at going turbo, Richard is the man.

Another downfall that was discovered when cleaning the swingarm was a crack around one of the chain guard mounts. A new swingarm was ordered from OS, ended up going with a 3-9in extended arm with underbracing. These are made by a guy in Canada who does some very nice work. In about 4 weeks the replacement housing and the swingarm will arrive and we will be one step closer to a running and rolling bike.

So... The bike, as you can see below, pretty depressing huh?

Since then i've rebuilt the forks and lowered them 2 inches internally so that i can piss off the straps that i have previously used to lower the front. I'll be honest and say that i didnt go over the top with forks, the bike isn't a corner carver so i couldnt see the need to go with all the good internals, just a quick rebuild with new seals will do for now, also a future mod on the cards is the GSXR 1000 front end.

This time last week, the majority of the new parts were laid out for a quick stocktake to ensure we had everything available as USPS tracking said the latest shipment had just cleared customs. Happy times ahead.

Sadly the engine build itself is missing alot of photo's, something about assembly lube and digital camera's didnt go together and Bart only managed to grab a couple of quick snaps during the assembly. Both Main Bearing and Cylinder head are fully studded to help control the extra flex this motor could see.

All thats left to do is to fit the new larger Output shaft and shim the valves, These are the only thing that prevented the engine from being fully assembled and sealed up last weekend. The output shaft is 5 mm larger than the factory unit and requires a larger spacer that was accidently left out of my shipment. No biggie, the standard spacer is going down to hamish engineering this week to get machine to suit the larger shaft.

At the moment i'd like to give a quick thanks to Coventry's for helping out with this. They rarely do any form of motorsport sponsorship so for them to slip some cash my way was a big ask. They also gave me a killer deal on a new 295pc tool chest that contains just about everything needed to do the bike and are happy to extend that to PSB members which i will post details of later.

As it was a long weekend and i was waiting the output shaft to finalise the motor, i thought i would mock everything up and complete the plumbing for the fuel system.Figured it would be easier now than when the motor was in the bike.

Fuel system specs are at the moment sitting as this:
    - Bosch Motorsport "044" Fuel pump (off the top of my head it flows 200gph @ 75psi)
    - Sard Fuel Pressure Regulator
    - 850cc @ 43psi injectors. Probably a little undersized for my application, but easy to change out. Standard is 270cc
    - Jegs Fuel Plumbing and Distribution block, Push-Loc hose fittings eliminates clamps and are good for around 250psi.
    - SAE Billet Fuel Rail.

Update: 31/01
    Anyway, i think thats it for now. If all goes to plan Bart and i should have the motor in this weekend and then we start with wiring up the new ECU.

Big thumbs up to Bart for helping over the last couple of weeks as quite often 4 hands are better than two.

Anyway, got the multistage clutch fitted tonight in a basic "tune" which should be tight enough to provide no slip on the dyno when i get it there.

Think i explained before but the multistage clutch has 3 area's which enable it to be tuned.

1) Is the Clutch Springs, these are weaker than stock to provide slip when the clutch is dropped at high revs.

2) Finger weights, these are nothing more than different thickness weight matched washers

3) Inner Springs for the fingers, these used in different combinations with #2 allow the slip to be stopped further down the track and to lockup the clutch allowing full power to be applied.

Update: 3/02

it's starting to look like a bike again, seeing as i have to wait another couple of weeks for some bits to be made and arrive (swingarm/turbine housing and whatever else i manage to buy in the meantime.) i thought i'd put the motor in, to make sure everything fits and to work out how much the crossbrace needs to be "relieved" for the Charge Tube. The motor will then get pulled out one more time and the adjustment made and then it goes back in for the final time.... well i hope so.

While it's in, i'll take the time to start wiring up the ecu and getting it all calibrated to the sensors etc...

Update: 11/02

I'm starting to realise that i may now have a problem. and that is being able to refuse a good deal when i cant afford it. Yes i know i have an ecu that can handle ignition, but i did manage to justify it to myself.

The spark in this is alot stronger than the stock coils and the brain behind it provides alot more control over the ignition than the box i currently have.

Basically, for my ignition i would still have to spend about 500usd to get the goodies need to drag race this much power consitantly. This rig does it all and then some...

Sooo, last night this little kit was ordered new:

MPS HAYABUSA MC-4 IGNITION KIT

The kit comes complete with Billet Ignition Housing, Billet Rotor, Dyna Pro Trigger, MSD MC-4 Ignition, MSD Coils, MSD 8.5mm Plug Wire, and Wire Harness. You'll be able to program the MC-4 at the track, on the dyno, wherever - with or without a computer! It's what you've been waiting for - the ability to program ignition timing curves to suit your engine's needs with the supplied Pro-Data Plus software. This ignition has every imaginable feature. You can configure the MC-4 for a 4, 5 or 6 speed transmission with a kill in all gears, a 1-2 auto, a 1-2-3 auto, or a full automatic no kill transmission. The kill time itself is adjustable from 20 to 99 milliseconds in 1 millisecond increments. The MC-4 can be programmed to either automatically shift or control a shift light for manual shifting. Shift points can be programmed separate for each gear. The MC-4 has three rev limiters. One engine protection over rev limiter, one launch rev limiter and one burnout rev limiter. You turbo guys will love the boost curve features of the MC-4. Retard features are many, like a launch retard ramp by time. Start out retarded from 1-15 degrees with the launch rev limiter on progressing to normal timing after 0-2.5 seconds. Three separate externally controlled retards, one is progressive to retard the timing on a ramp to coincide with a progressive nitrous controller. The MC-4 also features individual gear retards starting in 3rd gear from 0-15 degrees. An RPM window switch is also included to turn on and off any 12 VDC device at pre set rpms. The MC-4 is easy to wire and program with either a laptop or the optional hand held programmer. An optional shift light with remote launch rpm set module and gear indicator is also available.

For use with single or dual spark plugs per cylinder
    1,2, or 4 cylinder selectable
    Computer interface for easy programming
    Optional hand held programmer for quick changes
    Optional handle bar mounted launch RPM Selector
    Optional tester will test all options
    0-25 degree start retard
    Mappable run timing curve
    Launch Ramp Delay by time 0 - 2.5 seconds
    Three step retards by RPM or switch
    0 - 2.50 Second step retard off delay for precise nitrous control
    Progressive timing retard by time for progressive NOS
    Launch Timing Curve to prevent tire slippage
    Individual cylinder timing withl cam sync sensor
    Gear Retard - Retard a different amount for each gear
    Shift Kill feature with programmable delays 20-99 milliseconds
    Shift Kill Modes for Manual, Auto 1, 2 and Auto 1, 2, 3
    Optional Boost Retard curve when used with an external MAP sensor for turbo applications (2 - 45 PSI)
    Built in RPM Activated Window Switch - Turn any device up to 3 amps on at any rpm then back off at a different RPM
    Sequential Shift Light - Turn on an optional shift light at a different rpm for each gear
    Sequential Shifter - turns any air shifter into a fully automatic shifter (3 amps max)
    Tach Output wire for tachometers or data recorders
    Monitor Mode for easy set up of three step switches

MC4 Digital Ignition Specifications
    Voltage input - 11 - 18 Volts
    Current draw - 8 amps @ 10,000 RPM
    Trigger - Points or Hall effect
    Maximum RPM - 15,000
    Spark duration - 20 Degrees (Multi-Spark to 3,300 rpm)
    Single Spark output - 190 Millijoules
    Multi Spark output - 2280 Millijoules
    Primary voltage to coils 490-505 volts
    Reverse polarity protection - Yes
    Over-voltage protection - Yes
    Shift light/shifter output - 3 amps continuous
    RPM window switch - 3 amps continuous
    Cylinder Select - 1,2 & 4

Supplied with the MC4 Digital Ignition will be the Pro-Data Plus Software. Once you've installed the software on your computer you'll be able to program the MC4. The software allows you to map all the ignition's features like you've never been able to do before! Some of the features you'll have control over include: the timing curve, start retard, launch ramp delay, step retard off delay for nitrous applications, gear retard, shift kill delay, boost retard curve, and RPM activated window switch. As improvements and new features are made to the MC4, you'll be able to download the software from Factory Direct Performance over the internet. Below are four of the screens showing the adjustability of the Pro-Data Plus Software.

(Text Stolen from eBay Motors: MPS Hayabusa MC-4 Ignition Kit (item 270207585465 end time Feb-27-08 11:57:50 PST) )

UPDATE 18/02
    Well the MSD arrived today, just couldnt help myself and had to fit up the billet housing and rotor.

Very simple to install and only took about 5 minutes. Still have to dial it in but will do that when we dial in the cams next week.

UPDATE 25/02

This weekend was quite productive, started with loading the bike up and making a trip out to see Billywhizz. (Words cant express how much of a damn great guy Billywhizz is, top notch welder too, thanks mate)

The trip was to get the turbo header modified to fit the bigger turbo, The header is for a slightly smaller turbo which meant that the turbo was about 15mm away from bolting straight up. we had to cut the Header flange off and resposition it slightly so we could get the turbo bolted up. I look at this as quite a large stepping stone in the project as before this the bike was really just a rebuilt motor with a bit of gofast goodies, it's now that one step closer to getting fired up.

After I returned, work continued with the wiring and hope to get it finished this week. all the Electrics are just mocked in place with cable ties untill the new tail arrives and a new aluminium undertail can be measured up and sent off to the laser cutters to get cut. (in other words, ignore the cable ties)

Some brackets were made up to mount the two MSD coils, bit of an issue finding the right place to mount them while keeping it a short enough distance from the spark plugs and trying to keep it looking tidy, in the end i put them in front of the old ram air holes in the frame. I haven't tried to fit the fairing but they look like they will be alright.

Anyway, here's some progress pics.

Last edited by TYSON; 21-11-2007, 04:34 PM.
    My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
    Motorcycle Panel & Paint
    Q-Zar Fremantle
    Rated-R Parts
    PerthStreetBikes.com and it's generous members
    Carlisle Printing - Deals for PSB members
    CIC - Competition & Industrial Coatings
    Carpet Liquidators - Midland

fecking mintox :awesome:

Comment

I have a hard on. also, a sense of complete awe, you and saf do things guys like me just talk shit about at the pub.

for those that don't know, me and saf ain't best of mates, so this isnt a smoke blowing excercise, im genuinely impressed.
      The Twitter

Comment

Fully sick will it do wheelies??

But seriously... looking forward to this project. What type of intercooling are you guy's thinking of?

Comment

Wowsers. Will be watching this one with great anticipation.

Comment

You Sick Puppy!

Subscribed!

Mick
            I want to leave this world the same way I entered it, screaming and covered in blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribble View Post
              But seriously... looking forward to this project. What type of intercooling are you guy's thinking of?
              IC will be a custom one off, at this point we feel that by relocation of the indicators, making the air ram hole bigger, shrinking the headlight we will be able to squeeze a nice air to air unit in the front and create a seal box to force all the air at the front through the intercooler. Saf's got the skills when it comes to intercoolers to make it work.
              My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
              Motorcycle Panel & Paint
              Q-Zar Fremantle
              Rated-R Parts

Comment

omg looks awesome.
                how many more bits n pieces are to come?
                If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Originally posted by TYSON View Post
                  If all goes to plan we and the bike will head over to S.A.
                  Please do, the constant e/n pantshitting theads in GBS are becoming tiresome.

But seriously this has got to be the project of all projects, the most mind blowing project to date on PSB. And I bet it will attract some international attention too!

Comment

Originally posted by semi View Post
                    omg looks awesome.
                    how many more bits n pieces are to come?
                    Fuel system, wastegate, bov
                    My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
                    Motorcycle Panel & Paint
                    Q-Zar Fremantle
                    Rated-R Parts

Comment

I assume after the high speed run in SA, it will just be a case of regearing and it will be good for the 1/4 mile?

Comment

id say there would be a bit more to it, tyres and the like. Probably change the fuelling too?
                        If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

long swingarm for drags? are you extending the swingarm at all for the high speed run attempts?

Comment

Originally posted by S4R View Post
                            I assume after the high speed run in SA, it will just be a case of regearing and it will be good for the 1/4 mile?
                            Thats the plan, Saf will be fabricating a new swingarm for it then we hope to see low 8's
                            My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
                            Motorcycle Panel & Paint
                            Q-Zar Fremantle
                            Rated-R Parts

Comment

Originally posted by semi View Post
                              id say there would be a bit more to it, tyres and the like. Probably change the fuelling too?
                              There's a lot to it, but mainly around boost control. with the clutch above you just drop the lever at about 8/9k rpm so we wont be wanting 500 ponies in the first few gears.
                              My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
                              Motorcycle Panel & Paint
                              Q-Zar Fremantle
                              Rated-R Parts

Comment

Working...
                              X