This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Yamaha R1 Rebuild

Oh hai! About time I started writing about the progress of this bike. Okay.. structure..

As you may of figured out, I bought a 1998 YZF R1 from the auctions last week. What I thought was a 99, turns out to be a 98. Symmantics really, but for prosperity, its a 98 model.

It was purchased as a repairable write-off with the following visible damage:
    • Windscreen shattered
    • No mirrors, presumed destroyed in crash
    • Small dent on tank with abrasions and minor rust
    • Front fairing cracks around most screw holes
    • Rear fairing cracked
    • Left foot peg torn off
    • Left engine cover damage
    • Tacho mountings damaged
    It was obvious that the bike had been flipped during a stoppie or emergency stop. No fork damage, rims appeared still round, triple clamps and steering appeared fine. Minor scuffs on seat but they'd pass the pits. I've ordered the missing parts from ebay, save the foot pegs.

After posting on PSB, I got some information on testing the motor before firing it.

The tank was removed and all the stale fuel was drained. On a side note, Dingo doesn't have any more weeds in his garden bed . Air box was removed and plugs pulled. First thing I noticed was that the plugs were in a bad state. Luckily I had gone to the store and purchased some new plugs, oil and compression o-ring for the sump plug. The motor was turned over by grabbing the rear tyre and rotating it in first gear. This was done with minimal fuss and proved the internals weren't seized. Win.

New plugs were installed, airbox was put back on and new fuel was put into the tank. Radiator had water in it, so the system was flushed and coolant was replaced.

The carby bowls were drained and bad fuel was removed. Fuel pump was primed with the good fuel in the tank and system set up. After a spray of Aero-start, it fired pretty much the first go. As expected, it coughed, complained but still was running. Idle was good and lifting from idle to 3000 rpm okay. After 3000 it was rough. I went to get my multimeter from the car and by the time I got back the plugs had fouled.

Next day......

New plugs installed. Filled the tank with fuel and carby cleaner fluid.. 90mls. Again, bike started pretty much straight away. Bike was held on 3000rpm and bought up to temperature. From there it was progressively revved through its range with a few coughs (read:shit coming out of the carbs).

Around 90 degrees, coolant started spitting out of the reservoir and down the bleed. This could possibly be from air in the system (it was upside down, and I had drained it) or something else. For the time being it was topped up but it re-occured later on. So far the system has spat out about half a litre. If it continues I'll have to get it pressure tested.

All electrics were tested and all okay. Oh, and when its warm and you slam the throttle, it'll shoot flames out the back. Yeah, you might have a bike that does that too but its a first for me ^_^

Spent so far: Purchase + $200 on a box of plugs, oil, oil filter, fuel, carby cleaner, aerostart.

Resolved problems: Bike turns over and runs.
    Ongoing problems: Fairing needs repairs.
    New problems: Cooling system.

Thanks to:
    • Dingo: For hauling, storing and helping with the bike.
    • Meghan (Dingo's missus): For helping me tear the bike apart and keeping me company You champ
    • Bendito: For lending me his paddock stand
    Pictures to come.

"Always out-numbered, never out-gunned"

It better not be red and white, There can be only one!

Nice write up, whats the plans? Rebuild or fighter or a bit of both?
    My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

You got that bike eh... lucky man...
      FEADCinc, PSB?

Comment

Fighter it. No wait, dont
        ZippySig.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sentry View Post
          Oh, and when its warm and you slam the throttle, it'll shoot flames out the back. Yeah, you might have a bike that does that too but its a first for me ^_^
          If that gets you going, you're gonna wet yourself when you discover key bangers.
          FTP

Comment

Originally posted by redfern View Post
            It better not be red and white, There can be only one!

Nice write up, whats the plans? Rebuild or fighter or a bit of both?
            Mebbe Might change the colour scheme.. then again Its going to be a hack bike with one bad set of fairings and one good set. Something I don't mind throwing into corners hard (as opposed to the ZX, which I don't want to drop!)

Originally posted by Koola View Post
            You got that bike eh... lucky man...
            Were you the guy I was bidding against?

Comment

Well I would say trash the shit out of it so mine is the last one left but to be nice I should say you should consider making it original if the Kms are low and the frame is good. It maybe worth something one day.

Of course I may just be fooling myself.
              My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

maybe
                FEADCinc, PSB?

Comment

Awesome dude.

Mind if I come help/watch/commentate sometime?

Might give me some more insight into my own.
                  Originally posted by Semi
                  I ride slowly because I'm a massive faggot.

Comment

Originally posted by rcradical View Post
                    Awesome dude.

Mind if I come help/watch/commentate sometime?

Might give me some more insight into my own.
                    No worries mate. I'll let you know next time I'm working on it.

Originally posted by Koola View Post
                    maybe
                    Aint the world a small place. Ironic though; I went to the auctions to buy a tourer and left with a sports bike. amidoinitrite?

Comment

Should we start a 98 r1 area.

If Moto Italiano can have there own section why cant we?

Comment

Sentry, If you need any help with anything on the bike, just let me know. Ive done a bit of work\fiddling around on these older R1's.
                        ZippySig.com

Comment

Originally posted by redfern View Post
                          Should we start a 98 r1 area.
                          :app:
                          Originally posted by Semi
                          I ride slowly because I'm a massive faggot.

Comment

Cheers Gordan, I'll keep that in mind. The only major (read: fairly minor) issue is the overflowing coolant at 90 degrees Celsius, which is more than likely a bit of air in the system but if you've got any theories contrary, I'd be happy to hear them

Comment

Originally posted by Sentry View Post
                              Aint the world a small place. Ironic though; I went to the auctions to buy a tourer and left with a sports bike. amidoinitrite?
                              Ain't that the truth. Almost got really, really adventurous and put my hand up for the ZX14.

Looking forward to seeing this evolve! Can show us how to do a rebuild properly mate! ^_^
                              FEADCinc, PSB?

Comment

Working...
                              X