Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• project vfr400

hey everybody just thought id throw up some pics of my vfr400 project,

Anyhow, little backstory first, bought her early in the year from a workmate (quite cheaply ), who had brought it from another one of his mates and had it sitting in his garage untouched. Apparently she used to reside in tasmania.
    When i picked her up she was missing 2 panels, not too mention some of the bodywork wasnt matching colour wise, and being the best part of 20 years old (shes a 91 model) werent in the best of condiation. So operation find some new fairings was comissined. Only took 6 months. :mellow:
    While i was looking for the fairing i managed to get her running, abit very roughly.
    After a quick ride i noticed a shudder under braking, which was fixed by a brake bleed.
    This is where West coast honda in joondalup came in, got chatting to them while i was chasing some new bolts for the fairings (old ones where rusted) and before i knew she was in there the next day for a lot of work.
    -carb's serviced
    -valve train checked
    -full service(oil, coolent, filters)
    -new chain
    -new wheel bearing
    -front brake pads
    -new regulator/retifier
    -fairing mounted (not sure what brand they are, but there light and not OEM)

While this was being done i ordered some new levers and a double bubble screen. The levers are on but the screen isnt here yet

And that brings us too today, shes almost ready to get some rego, just needs new discs (left one is slihtly warped), the screen and a reflector on the back, and looks wise the tank and mirrors need painting to match, and i want to get the wheels powdercoated or painted black.

But ive kinda hit a crossroad atm, she could prob use a good strip down and clean, which would give me a chance to redo the suspension and suss out any other problems, but i need to source some stands, tools to do the work right. Which means money which ive run out of atm

enough with the description thou, heres some pics
    Attached Files
    Motivation alone is not enough. If you have an idiot and you motivate him, now you have a motivated idiot.

looks good dude, unusual colour scheme

Comment

Thats a handsome wee bike.

Comment

thanks guys,

little bit of an update, the screen i ordered showed up today, pity its the wrong screen!
        going to have to give them a call tomorrow and sort it out.
        Motivation alone is not enough. If you have an idiot and you motivate him, now you have a motivated idiot.

Comment

Yep that's a winner ... don't see many of them on the road anymore ... nice work.

Comment

thanks mate,

another lil bit of an update (plus another pic),
            well the projects sorta stalled while i gather some money, which was not helped by going to the show on saturday and picking up a new helmet, anyhow, sometime in the next month or 2 the tank/mirrors/wheels will get painted. The plan atm is to paint the grey section of the tank blue and leave the top half black, repaint the mirrors black and either paint or powdercoat the wheels black as well.

Anyhow heres another pic of the bike and one of the new hard hat plus a couple from the bike show, forgive the quality, mobiles plus crowds is not a good mix
            Attached Files

Comment

been a while but heres an update

The old girl has been pulled apart (not before installing the screen. that took about 2 weeks longer then it was supposed to too get here!), all the panels, the tank, the wheels and the front discs have been removed to go to a painters at some point once i deceide on a painter.
              Started doing a bit of polishing as well, the exhaust and foot controls have come up really well but need pulling off the bike to do properly so that should happen this weekend when i buy a big enough internal hex attachment

Ive also deceided to get the front forks serviced, If anyone can reccommend a good workshop it would be much appricated and a good painter as well lol.

anyhow here some more pictures, well post up some of the polish work in the next day or two.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by envyyvne View Post
                been a while but heres an update

The old girl has been pulled apart (not before installing the screen. that took about 2 weeks longer then it was supposed to too get here!), all the panels, the tank, the wheels and the front discs have been removed to go to a painters at some point once i deceide on a painter.
                Started doing a bit of polishing as well, the exhaust and foot controls have come up really well but need pulling off the bike to do properly so that should happen this weekend when i buy a big enough internal hex attachment

Ive also deceided to get the front forks serviced, If anyone can reccommend a good workshop it would be much appricated and a good painter as well lol.

anyhow here some more pictures, well post up some of the polish work in the next day or two.
                for the paint work.. maybe PM potatoe he's usually lurking here somewhere
                And for the forks, Motorcycle Medic, Gavin.. I cant recall his number off hand but a forum search will find him..
                Norm
                Its a Tour not a Race - Just don't get in my way when I'm Touring.

OzVFR.net MGP Tipping Mews News

Comment

To get your suspension sorted, PM Marty Moose.
                  He'll no only sort it with you for a decent price, but he'll set up your bike for you and show and explain every adjustment to you. Not many places you can buy that...

Also, check out the Tyga Performance site and get ready to unleash some hate on your CC...
                  c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

Was the VFR400 ever a Movistar bike?

Comment

This is a nice looking bike...funny thing is my dad bought a VFR 400, '91 model from someone who had it in their shed for ages and never touched it. It was from a chick too. This was also in tassie...
                      where in tassie did it come from do you know?
                      I love the single sided swing arm on these bikes
                      I was just raising hell I wasn't doing no harm, the cops could not appreciate my natural charm.

Comment

Double post
                        Last edited by 02keilj; 17-10-2009, 07:55 PM. Reason: Double Post
                        I was just raising hell I wasn't doing no harm, the cops could not appreciate my natural charm.

Comment

O hai thar :awesome:

Great choice of bike. I'll be watching the thread with interest, as I plan to slowly start working on mine as well, and seeing what more capable people can do is always a motivator

I take it you've met the wealth of knowledge that is 400greybike.info - View forum - V4 Section ?

MRK, no, the NC30 is far too old to have come out with those fairings. I gotta say, though, they suit it really well.
                          Insert witty comment here

Comment

Originally posted by 02keilj View Post
                            This is a nice looking bike...funny thing is my dad bought a VFR 400, '91 model from someone who had it in their shed for ages and never touched it. It was from a chick too. This was also in tassie...
                            where in tassie did it come from do you know?
                            I love the single sided swing arm on these bikes
                            I asked my mate who I bought it off and he brought it off his mate in sydney who is his age, so i dont think its the same bike, unless your dads in his mid twentys

Thanks for all the recommandations guys! i will def look these guys up once i get some other things (money lol) sorted.

Thanks wilson, wouldnt say im more capable, just willing to give it a go.
                            Or pay someone else when its over my head ^_^
                            Hopefully will be one the road by the end of the year, hopefully without going over my cash limit.

Anyhow heres the promised polish pictures, not the best before and after, since i forget to snap the before pictures twice so its just the left and right side by side.
                            I will post up some better pictures once they get another polish, this time with proper polishing stuff,
                            Attached Files

Comment

Oh... I think the more capable still stands. I changed my radiator fluid for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and will do my first oil change (due to a gasket change) soon

The polished bits have come up trick! The heel guards especially look good with a mirror finish. Mine are crusty and grey still. Definitely got inspiration to sort that out now!
                              Insert witty comment here

Comment

Working...
                              X