Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove corrosion of front forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agird View Post
    I'd like to know how this guy got the cranks cases (not the polished covers) looking like this. I'll bet he's using something like bicarb soda. I tried spray on degreaser and carby cleaner but my bike still has that old grey look.
    try phenyle, it usually has to soak but sometimes brush on and rinse off will remove all oxidation, great for taking cast parts back to original condition instead of changing the surface texture by media blasting, pretty harmless stuff one would think since they use it as wheelie bin cleaner or disinfectant for cleaning toilets or dog kennels, but it is actually mutagenic etc so not good for you even though it won't burn on contact with skin
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

I couldn't get to sleep after using that carby cleaner for an hour or so, its probably fried what neurones were left.
      -

Comment

If you can disassemble your forks, you can try electrolysis. It involves using electrical energy to reverse the redox reaction. If done correctly, you can completely remove 100% of the oxide particles.
        sigpic

Comment

only one way, as described above, lots of work there is no magic fix to polish aluminium apart from hard work.
          There are two questions in life.
          1:Which way do I go
          2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

It is not hard, but tedious work.
            remove front wheel, and brakecalipers.
            Most of the time I rebuild the forks as well with new seals and dust caps
            Clean all old oil/roadgrime of the lower legs
            Then sand legs with aprox wet&dry or the wonderfull sanding sponges (propper ones, not Bunno's) 400 grid, then 800grid and then 1200 grid.
            After that I use brasso and or alloy pollish.
            The result will please you if you put in the efford!
            same principal on almost all aloy surface you want to get shiny.

Comment

Working...
            X