Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove corrosion of front forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamathi
    replied
    It is not hard, but tedious work.
    remove front wheel, and brakecalipers.
    Most of the time I rebuild the forks as well with new seals and dust caps
    Clean all old oil/roadgrime of the lower legs
    Then sand legs with aprox wet&dry or the wonderfull sanding sponges (propper ones, not Bunno's) 400 grid, then 800grid and then 1200 grid.
    After that I use brasso and or alloy pollish.
    The result will please you if you put in the efford!
    same principal on almost all aloy surface you want to get shiny.

Leave a comment:

• D.J
    replied
    only one way, as described above, lots of work there is no magic fix to polish aluminium apart from hard work.

Leave a comment:

• IvanStyle
    replied
    If you can disassemble your forks, you can try electrolysis. It involves using electrical energy to reverse the redox reaction. If done correctly, you can completely remove 100% of the oxide particles.

Leave a comment:

• agrid
    replied
    I couldn't get to sleep after using that carby cleaner for an hour or so, its probably fried what neurones were left.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied
    Originally posted by agird View Post
    I'd like to know how this guy got the cranks cases (not the polished covers) looking like this. I'll bet he's using something like bicarb soda. I tried spray on degreaser and carby cleaner but my bike still has that old grey look.
    try phenyle, it usually has to soak but sometimes brush on and rinse off will remove all oxidation, great for taking cast parts back to original condition instead of changing the surface texture by media blasting, pretty harmless stuff one would think since they use it as wheelie bin cleaner or disinfectant for cleaning toilets or dog kennels, but it is actually mutagenic etc so not good for you even though it won't burn on contact with skin

Leave a comment:

• agrid
    replied
    I'd like to know how this guy got the cranks cases (not the polished covers) looking like this. I'll bet he's using something like bicarb soda. I tried spray on degreaser and carby cleaner but my bike still has that old grey look.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied
    never thought about it but i wouldn't have thought it would be any more corrosive to aluminium than most metal polishes, it would only be blasting media to be removed once the job is finished.

Most metal polishes i've used have an acid or alkali in them to remove the surface corrosion and allow a polished surface to shine through but that same property causes the surface to dull quicker than a surface polished with a pure abrasive and sealed with a wax.

Leave a comment:

• darkfibre
    replied
    Isn't bicarb very corrosive to aluminium?

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied
    Originally posted by michael View Post
    The forks on my bike (dirty) needed attention, they werent rusty but just looking tatty. Took them off and taped (prefferably duct tape) the delicate parts and sandblasted them. tadaa brand new after re coating
    if you want to sandblast/mediablast try bicarb soda, i love the stuff for blasting delicate parts as it is very fine as far as abrasives go, doesn't create a lot of heat and if you have to get it out of bolt holes or parts it dissolves easily in vinegar and can then be rinsed with water, so cleanup is simple compared to sand or beads etc

Leave a comment:

• agrid
    replied
    Autosol does the trick for me, I usually use a length of rag like a belt to pull back and forth. I suspect that your forks may have a clear coating though.

Leave a comment:

• michael
    replied
    The forks on my bike (dirty) needed attention, they werent rusty but just looking tatty. Took them off and taped (prefferably duct tape) the delicate parts and sandblasted them. tadaa brand new after re coating

Leave a comment:

• Axial
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback.

I've already tried Autosol metal polish but didnt work.

Looks like D.J.'s option is the best. I guess that means I have to remove the forks from the bike first? Or can I just sand off the corroded parts?

Leave a comment:

• danman
    replied
    Why not use paint stripper on the forks to remove the paint. Then you just need to use Autosol to polish.

Leave a comment:

• D.J
    replied
    looks like corrosion is coming through the clear coat, only way to fix properly is rub back the whole lot with 400 wet and dry (or sandblast) then graduate to 600 then 1200, then use an aluminium buffing compound and a buffing wheel. metal polish only at the end. Then clear coat again or polish every now and then.

Easier option is Gozer's suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• Spank
    replied
    autosol works pretty well if its only minor / surface rust

Leave a comment:

Working...
X