Taking Laptop Overseas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Laptop Overseas?

Hey guys and gals I know I've seen it mentioned that quite a few people take their laptops overseas What is the go with getting access to the net? Is it just a matter of buying a USB Dongle thing? (I'm not that up with that side of things)
    I've also seen places here like the library that advertise it and been told places like Macca's have "Free WiFi" Does that mean you can just take your laptop in and connect to the net like I do at home through my WiFi modem?
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Originally posted by Phildo
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Originally posted by filbert
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Be very careful if you take an Australlian Internet dongle and account with you. You will be charged at approx $15 per meg! Even data on your Iphone will cost a bomb......... do plenty of homework.

I supplied a Telstra Internet dongle to one of my exec's with instructions to use it only if he really, really had to, first option was hotel internet. He did the usual thing and ignored my advice and the bill for approx 460ish Meg was $7000AUD.

You should be able to get something prepaid in your OS location.

Or use internet cafes.......... laptops can be attractive items to steal.

Comment

Forget the dongle, just snoop around you'll find some free wifi somewhere, or at worst you'll have to pay you hotel a couple of bucks for half an hour. Often conference centres put on free wifi for delegates so sit of their front lawn and go for it. I've pretty much given up taking the laptop these days, the smartphone does most of what I need.

EDIT: as kapyong says be careful of roaming charges, they will ream you out big-time.
      -

Comment

Firstly, Glad it wasn't you in the rider down thread.

Most of the hotels I stayed in while travelling around Europe had either free wifi in the rooms, or at the least in the lobby. There's also heaps of hotspots at cafes and maccas so you shouldn't really need one. As Kapyong said, If you take an Aussie dongle, international roaming will more than likely apply so save your coin. Most of the free wifi you will need to buy a coffee or something to get the password, and I think it times out after a while.

Comment

+1 for just grabbing free connections in hotels, cafe and bars. We even had a local in a small town in France give us access to his wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by kapyong View Post
            Be very careful if you take an Australian Internet dongle and account with you. You will be charged at approx $15 per meg! Even data on your Iphone will cost a bomb......... do plenty of homework.
            You should be able to get something prepaid in your OS location.

Or use internet cafes.......... laptops can be attractive items to steal.
            Yeah from other comments I'd seen I wasn't planning on using an Oz dongle for that reason, we've already been told to just by an OS Prepaid Sim Card for the mobile phones
            Is it just a matter of being where the WiFi is and it connects automatically or do you need some sort of password?
            I know when we got the lappy a few months back I needed to put in the password from the modem to connect initially but now it does it automatically

Originally posted by Seb View Post
            Firstly, Glad it wasn't you in the rider down thread.

Thanks mate, glad it wasn't me as well Sorry for the other guy though

Most of the free WiFi you will need to buy a coffee or something to get the password, and I think it times out after a while.
            So you basically just buy a coffee and ask for the PW? I believe that Macca's here has WiFi but have never taken the lappy there
            Another thing, assuming you can get internet access how do you go about checking emails etc Do you need a PW to log onto your internet provider ie BigPond?

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor

Comment

Some places, like bars, will give you a password. I think some countries require internet providers to validate ID before given access.

You should find places that don't require passwords (Maca's). You laptop should detect the wifi connection and just hook up. You will probably find when you open your browser it goes to a provider home page and you acknowledge a set of condition and click a link to surf.

To access email you can either user remote log in via your providers web mail, set up a gmail account or set up you email account on your laptop. I travel with a small Lenovo idea pad cheap arse compact machine and set up my mail on that.

Comment

Originally posted by nevr2old View Post
                Some places, like bars, will give you a password. I think some countries require internet providers to validate ID before given access.

You should find places that don't require passwords (Macca's). You laptop should detect the WiFi connection and just hook up. You will probably find when you open your browser it goes to a provider home page and you acknowledge a set of condition and click a link to surf.

To access email you can either user remote log in via your providers web mail, set up a Gmail account or set up you email account on your laptop. I travel with a small Lenovo idea pad cheap arse compact machine and set up my mail on that.
                I'm not sure how you go about that side of things How does a remote login work and I'm not sure what you are talking about as far as "providers web mail"? I don't have Gmail but do have a Live.com email address (although very rarely use it ) could I use that as it's linked to be able to check our Outlook Account?
                The desktop and lappy just use Outlook on a POP/SMTP account from memory

Comment

If your usb dongle can do it, you could always buy a pre-paid sim card once you get overseas and stick that in. Or buy the dongle over there. Electronics are usually cheaper overseas.

I had no trouble at all finding unprotected wifi in Canada. Every man and his dog has wifi, and very few people put any security on it. But with the free wifi at maccas and that sort of place you have to be careful. Being unsecured means anyone sniffing around can pluck all sorts of things out of your transmissions. Like credit card numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Thalass View Post
                    If your usb dongle can do it, you could always buy a pre-paid Sim card once you get overseas and stick that in. Or buy the dongle over there. Electronics are usually cheaper overseas.

I had no trouble at all finding unprotected wifi in Canada. Every man and his dog has wifi, and very few people put any security on it. But with the free wifi at maccas and that sort of place you have to be careful. Being unsecured means anyone sniffing around can pluck all sorts of things out of your transmissions. Like credit card numbers.
                    Nah don't have a dongle here, just a desktop and wire/wireless modem and connect via that, haven't had a lappy long so never even looked at taking it anywhere
                    A couple of things I've read before from memory said to buy one over there
                    Certainly wouldn't be doing anything like banking etc on it, just web surfing and emails

Comment

Web surfing and emails - we just used our phones and free wifi areas
                      “The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. - W Churchill”

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                        I'm not sure how you go about that side of things How does a remote login work and I'm not sure what you are talking about as far as "providers web mail"? I don't have Gmail but do have a Live.com email address (although very rarely use it ) could I use that as it's linked to be able to check our Outlook Account?
                        The desktop and lappy just use Outlook on a POP/SMTP account from memory
                        Your laptop should detect available wifi connections and connect to one. Your laptop should display a list of available connections and you can look for an unsecured one ie no paddlock symbol next to it.

The way you have you laptop setup now with your pop/smtp and password setting, it should work anywhere in the world when you have a connection. The live.com or gmail account allows you to check your email on your laptop or at a net cafe.

Why don't you just take a trip to your local macas and give it a go. It is pretty easy when you see it working.

Comment

Currently using my laptop while sitting around the pool in bali. It has pretty much all been covered by everyone above. I know here in Bali a lot of hotels have free wifi, I have also been eating out a lot at restaurants and a lot of them have free wifi signs out the front. Macas has free wifi and so do some of the pubs here. Just load up your internet connection settings and it will search for networks in your area. Either join one that isnt secured or try and get the password from where you are eg hotel, pub restaurants.
                          Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

Just use an internet cafe or computer at your hotel. Take an SD card reader so you can upload pics to photobucket and dust off your hotmail account.

Fuck carrying a laptop around everywhere you go, especially if you're actually travelling, they're just a burden on your freedom.

Honestly, if you're travelling with a computer, you have to carry it, look after it, keep it secure, not drop or lose it, and then you have to try and log in somewhere.

Let go and fly free
                            CAUTION: ATTEMPTING TO OVERTAKE THIS VEHICLE MAY RESULT IN A HIGH SPEED WHEELIE

Comment

Originally posted by SPman View Post
                              Web surfing and emails - we just used our phones and free WiFi areas
                              Yeah would be easy if you have a smartphone but both our phones are just basic old things not smart phones

Originally posted by Rocket View Post
                              Just use an internet café or computer at your hotel. Take an SD card reader so you can upload pics to photobucket and dust off your Hotmail account.

Fuck carrying a laptop around everywhere you go, especially if you're actually travelling, they're just a burden on your freedom.

Honestly, if you're travelling with a computer, you have to carry it, look after it, keep it secure, not drop or lose it, and then you have to try and log in somewhere.

Let go and fly free

Yeah after talking to a couple of friends who have gone OS. it seems that it can be more of a PITA than it's worth carrying it, going through Xrays etc

Comment

Working...
                              X