No announcement yet.

Yamaha YZF R1 D-MODE How does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha YZF R1 D-MODE How does it work?

Has anyone figured out what this mode switch actually does?

The manual is pretty light on, says something like A mode is aggressive sport performance, STD is full sporty performance and B helps you ride slow.

The manual's description kind of tells you the aim of the modes but not what is going on.

I originally assumed A mode was like a quick action throttle, STD is standard throttle and B a slow action throttle. but i am not sure its that simple.

i am starting to think that A mode is not a linear throttle map, but more like 50% throttle is in the first 10% of the range, and the last 50% throttle is in the next 50%.. making it like a 2/3 throttle thats on the piss and really only suitable for high RPM use.

STD mode may give full performance, but does it have some kind of signal smoothing that stops you from cracking it to carry the front over rises? also does STD limit the available throttle depending on gear?

imho B mode should be inbetween A and STD, like a proper linear 3/4 throttle no signal smoothing.
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Well they are fly by wire so it will be associated with the ratio of turn to actuator movement.

The kings racers in 2009 just used the standard mode because after 7k its the same as the A mode.
    Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Originally posted by Arwon View Post
      The kings racers in 2009 just used the standard mode because after 7k its the same as the A mode.
      cheers arwon, if they are going to get all clever with their programming they need to include a control narrative.

throttle response is a bit unpredictable- especially when doing things like cracking it open to carry the front over rises.

i had the idea i wanted to ride it in the same mode all the time, so its more predictable but A mode is twitchy as hell in the bottom end while B mode is too lazy. i suppose i can still add a 3/4 throttle and run STD mode.

edit: also if the kings racers dont even use A mode, then what good is it? i was starting to think it might be a gimmick to make people think the bike has really stupid low down grunt.. which it does when you barely open the throttle 10% and are getting 100% of the available power!
      If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

I suspect it will just change the ignition curve, fuel map, throttle position % ratio and variable intake position at specific RPM... what else would it do ?

Comment

also could have something like the late model gixxers throttle limits in the 1st 3 gears, there is a gear position sensor

Comment

Should be W not A mode, for fairly obvious reasons
            Holder of

Team KL 2011. Round 3 - the biggest yet

Comment

Originally posted by Arwon View Post
              Well they are fly by wire so it will be associated with the ratio of turn to actuator movement.

Precisely. (A mode) opens the throttle valves 30% faster up to half (50% throttle). As far as i am aware it then becomes standard after that!

The D-mode system allows mode selection between three different levels of engine response, from most aggressive to least: A, Standard or B. Unlike other manufacturers (Suzuki gixxers etc) Yamaha does'nt cut the peak power by altering ignition or fuel maps, it changes the throttle response, adjusting the rate of throttle valve opening in relation to how much you twist the wrist. The A mode delivers a sharp, almost one-to-one response ratio, that i found out the other day, after about 500 odd K's of country roads and feeling tired (A mode) was over the top, so i went back to STD. Standard is well, standard! While aparently B mode offers a softer response. I have'nt bothered with B mode yet as i think it would be a setting you would use in the rain or slippery road surface situation.

I'm no expert but this is how i understand the D-mode system.

So g0zer you are pretty much on the money with what you thought, (slow opening throttle/fast opening throttle)
              Last edited by Rizzo; 25-03-2011, 02:54 AM.

Comment

how do you change this D-Mode?

Comment

1) Sell your 2007 Model
                  2) Save a few thousand dollars
                  3) Purchase a 2009+ model R1
                  4) Toggle the little switch on the handle bars.

Comment

Originally posted by F2thaK View Post
                    how do you change this D-Mode?
                    Switch (similar to indicators) on the right handlebar.
                    Automotive & Motorcycle Photographer | http://www.janglovac.com/motorcycle/

www.facebook.com/JanGlovacPhotography

Comment

Working...
                    X