Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on HID kits

Quick question...

Will a normal car HID kit fit a bike? Can't see the difference between and bike and car kit?? Only difference is the price!!!

Any thoughts?

For Sale : 2000 Mercedes CLK430 AVANTGARDE C208 2dr Coupe
    Video riding in Victoria... God's Country

I don't know whether newer car light housings are made from plastic or glass, but bike light housings can melt if the HIDs are too powerful - maybe that is why there is a difference in price?

Bernie says "think before you drive bribe"

Comment

I fitted some hid to my cbr250 afew years back and they do get much hotter than the normal bulbs. I think if I didn't have glass housing it would have melted the housing for sure.

I dont think there's any difference between car and bike HID's.

Comment

HID kits for cars usually have larger ballasts and a longer wiring kit.
        FTP

Comment

I don't think there's any difference, they use the same type of bulbs some kits just have smaller ballasts to fit on the bike as BigTim mentioned

I've got a set of H4 6000k HID's for sale, bought them for the R1 under the assumption they were bi-xenon but they're just low beam and high beam doesn't work on them.
          If you have a bike that uses 4 headlights(2lo 2hi) they're for sale for $50, shoot me a pm if you're interested
          Straight roads are for fast bikes - corners are for fast riders!

Comment

WBTS - the only real difference is that you may struggle to find somewhere to fit the car ballasts, and have to do some cutting and soldering to get the wiring neat.

If you can find a kit with "slimline" ballasts, you should be fine!

"Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by edmands_3 View Post
              I don't know whether newer car light housings are made from plastic or glass, but bike light housings can melt if the HID's are too powerful - maybe that is why there is a difference in price?
              The rear of the HL on my Bird is plastic and I've had a car HID kit (not really any bike specific kits just slimline ballasts) and haven't had a problem with them in 4 years
              I reckon the HID's actually run cooler than a std globe even though the light output temp ratings are higher as they are more efficient

Originally posted by DreamTheater View Post
              I don't think there's any difference, they use the same type of bulbs some kits just have smaller ballasts to fit on the bike as BigTim mentioned
              +1 Just that the newer kits are coming with slimline ballasts, not that they are bike specific Just variations for different bulb types
              #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
              Originally posted by Phildo
              Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
              Originally posted by filbert
              i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
              Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                The rear of the HL on my Bird is plastic and I've had a car HID kit (not really any bike specific kits just slimline ballasts) and haven't had a problem with them in 4 years
                I reckon the HID's actually run cooler than a std globe even though the light output temp ratings are higher as they are more efficient
                I think you are on the money with this, a 35watt HID pumps out way more light than a vanilla 60w filament globe, therefore more photons and less wasted heat. The size of the ballast and the position of the light source in relation to the reflector arrangement more likely to be an issue.

BTW, I have and HID torch, and it takes 15 or so seconds to come up to full brightness - do the vehicle lights have the same issue, or is the greater current on offer overriding this limitation?

Comment

OK I just went out to take a photo of my bike on high beam. Dominator aftermarket lights, a matched pair but one with a 35 watt HID and one with a 55 watt halogen.

The white light is the HID and is cold when your hand is in front of it, the yellow is the halogen and it is warm when holding your hand in front.
                  Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

^ well there yah go

Comment

Cool bananas. Im going to buy a h7 slim hid car kit for my bike then. Was thinking there was no difference but just wanted to check

For Sale : 2000 Mercedes CLK430 AVANTGARDE C208 2dr Coupe
                      Video riding in Victoria... God's Country

Comment

Originally posted by Skut View Post
                        I think you are on the money with this, a 35watt HID pumps out way more light than a vanilla 60w filament globe, therefore more photons and less wasted heat. The size of the ballast and the position of the light source in relation to the reflector arrangement more likely to be an issue.

BTW, I have and HID torch, and it takes 15 or so seconds to come up to full brightness - do the vehicle lights have the same issue, or is the greater current on offer overriding this limitation?
                        Unfortunately they all take a short time to get up to full brightness as HID's are gas filled and the arc just ignites the gas to produce the light but once they are lit even if flicked off (ie high beams) as long as you restart within ~15-20 seconds they are pretty much full brightness
                        If you were only in the city area maybe a std HB would be better but anywhere out of the metro area and the HID HB's are the shit
                        #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                        Originally posted by Phildo
                        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                        Originally posted by filbert
                        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Working...
                        X