VTR250, no lights besides headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VTR250, no lights besides headlight

Test day, shadowed to Willagee, excited to get on the road, instructor comes out, checks my ID, asks to check indicators, left (OK), right (OK) , rear brake light (OK), front brake light... nothing. Just does not light up and thats it. As the lightbulb is OK then it must be some connection issue. Got 5min to check connections and clean the corrosion but still nothing. Now possibly another month to wait for my test. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

And things get worse. After cleaning the connectors, I still did not get thefront brake light working and now suddenly the only working light on the bike is the headlight. No rear brake light, no indicators, no 'N' light on when in N gear. So something is really messed up. Can start checking and working on the bike this evening.

Any thoughts what might cause this and how to fix? Thanks.

With the front brake light not working i would say the switch is broken in the upper brake assembly, as for the other problems now i don't know.
    Maybe theres a fuse thats blown and check the connections

Comment

The connectors looked really corroded so I was thinking thats the most obvious. Youre right that the switch could be another option.

Comment

Still the main problem is that now all the other lights (indicator, rear/front brake, and N etc) are also not working. Any ideas there? Anyone?

Comment

I don't know but maybe theres a faulty earth connection somewhere in the circuit then.

Comment

Sorry I had to bail this morning, kenk - I'd gotten a phone call on the way back from Willagee and the was-running-late electrician was now running early and waiting out the front of my house.

If all the lights (indicators, idiot lights, brakes) are shot I'd be looking at where the wiring is common for all of them. I'm going to guess it's one of:
            - A fuse or connector into the fuse;
            - A power rail coming off (maybe?) the ignition switch;
            - A common ground wire which has come loose.

1. Get the service manual incl electrical schematic for the bike.
            2. Locate the faulty lights on the diagram.
            3. In either direction (ie along either wire going into the light) trace back until it meets lines going to the other faulty lights.
            4. Check that spot on the bike. A multimeter will help
            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Problems solved (sort of). First of all there was a blown fuse, lucky me that a spare one was in the fusebox and replacing the faulty one fixed the rest of the lights besides the front brake light.

Also found the reason for this fault. Its the brakelight switch under the front brake lever. Just not connecting and as its a closed switch theres nothing to fix - so need a new one.

Any idea where to get this switch asap south of the river?

Captain, no worries. Special thanks to you for shadowing and your patience!

Comment

Try motorcycle masters in kewdale they might have one.

Comment

i wish mine was as simple as a fuse. i had the same thing happen , first it was the indicators not working properly turn in left or right and the 2 fronts would go on. then the brake light went. now i just have head and tail lights.

Comment

Give rocko powersports a ring, they supplied me mine when the same switch died on my vtr many moons ago..
                    Originally posted by deano68er
                    Originally posted by Sudu
                    Loud?
                    Enough to make ya hard

Comment

Got the switch (20$) from motorcycle masters, thanks for recommending. Will change it later today.

Comment

did they make u pay for another re-booking fee?
                        IF ITS TO LOUD ! YOUR TOO OLD

Comment

give us a yell if 1 off the other boys cant shadow ya next time.. i just round the corner .
                          IF ITS TO LOUD ! YOUR TOO OLD

Comment

Working...
                          X