R1 stalling when clutching in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 stalling when clutching in?

hey guys I'm sure its something simple, thinking throttle position sensor ? or o2 sensor/air flow sensor? idle air vavle?

basically the bike stalled about 5 times on me on the way to work today, I'd be riding along fine, clutch in to change down gears or slow down at the lights and the bike would stall... whilst I was riding along the bike was not delaying to accelerate but there was a strange sorta surging feeling followed by what sounded like the bike was struggling?

I could kind of keep the bike alive if I held the revs up around 4-5k when stationary but if it dropped below there it was a fight to stop the bike stalling....

any ideas?
    Last edited by contempo; 31-03-2011, 08:35 AM.

how many km is on the bike?

the 04-05 bikes had a tps recall, the tps's had a very high failure rate typically between 10000 to 20000km

symptom is bike runs perfectly, then of a sudden runs badly and wont idle

cycle ignition to OFF, restart and the bike runs fine again but the problem will repeat with increasing frequency
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

g0zer... thats exactly what happens... I used to ride along, switch the bike off, start it up again and it'd be fine... I'm just over 20,000kms...

Comment

contact nick at five star yamaha service dept and talk to him about it
        If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

g0zer... funny you say that I've called him and I'm booked in for next Friday... he seems to agree with the problem based on the symptoms... really appreciate your feedback bud. It's funny how unsettled you can feel knowing your bike isn't healthy haha.

Comment

You don't know what stalling problems are till you've owned a ducati

Comment

Originally posted by contempo View Post
              It's funny how unsettled you can feel knowing your bike isn't healthy haha.
              those engines are bomb proof, traded mine at 70000km and it was as strong as the day i bought.

it never used drop of oil and i thrashed hell out it as best i could. they love nitrous oxide the only things i had to do to it other than put petrol in it, change oil + filters was tps sensors and clutch fibres.

if my new r1 is as reliable i will be very happy

yamaha didnt make those tps sensors, that issue is bosches fault

Comment

My TPS failure on my R6 had similar symptoms (Along with a couple others associated with a related problem) so if I'd seen this thread earlier I'd have concurred! The Five Star boys fixed her up as good as new, no dramas!

*EDIT*
                Cooked clutches make for interesting trips back from halfway through a ride, hey g0zer?
                "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

Well I feel reasonably confident thats the issue... I still need the bike to get to n from work so if anyone sees a newb who keeps stalling his R1 and revving up and down constantly know its not my fault haha

Comment

Originally posted by contempo View Post
                    Well I feel reasonably confident thats the issue... I still need the bike to get to n from work so if anyone sees a newb who keeps stalling his R1 and revving up and down constantly know its not my fault haha
                    So now your a newb with a stalling R1, as opposed to just a newb like every other day of the week.
                    Originally posted by polonY
                    Don't worry about shitting people off. Unless you ride a ninja 250 or a cbr250rrrrrr

Comment

says the guy who's binned his beauty twice

Comment

Originally posted by Ice View Post

Cooked clutches make for interesting trips back from halfway through a ride, hey g0zer?
                        sif let clutch get that bad

i almost looped a 4th gear wheelie when mine let go

WOT'd the bike in teh fat part of the power curve ~11000rpm 4th gear to wheelie over a rise, clutch slipped motor spun up to the limiter and as i crested and the front lofted the clutch bit again with a thousand extra rpm i didnt really need at that point

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
                          WOT'd the bike in teh fat part of the power curve ~11000rpm 4th gear to wheelie over a rise, clutch slipped motor spun up to the limiter and as i crested and the front lofted the clutch bit again with a thousand extra rpm i didnt really need at that point
                          Haha, bet that was a brown undies moment!

I didn't have a clue mine was going until you, me and Ryder were out on that ride yonks ago and the R6 started surging. And then the lunching went VERY quickly after that! There's something particularly scary about being halfway through overtaking and losing all power with a car coming towards you!
                          "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

Haha, bet that was a brown undies moment!

I didn't have a clue mine was going until you, me and Ryder were out on that ride yonks ago and the R6 started surging.
                            it would have been if i had time to crap myself, it was pure luck the rpm difference wasnt quite enough to send me all the way over

you should WOT redline your bikes in high gear more often

Comment

My TPS failure on my R6 had similar symptoms (Along with a couple others associated with a related problem) so if I'd seen this thread earlier I'd have concurred! The Five Star boys fixed her up as good as new, no dramas!

*EDIT*
                              Hey Ice was this expensive to fix?

Comment

Working...
                              X