Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilling top triple clamp, will it crack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling top triple clamp, will it crack?

So the streetfighter is coming along now and i just need to put MX bars on her. The top triple clamp in cast aluminium, about 18mm thick but has webbed bracing on the under side, so about 12mm solid material where i plan on drilling the through holes. Do u think it will crack from doing wheelies etc?
    Yes officer, I did see the speed limit sign. I just didn't see YOU!

Drilling holes in any casting is gonna weaken it. The holes will induce stress raisers within the material making it more likely to fail under repeated or high intensity loads.
    A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Comment

Are you drilling new holes or are you drilling out existing holes to make them bigger?
      Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

Aww G-Bek, sorry to be an idea killer but are you sure that drilling holes in the triple clamp is a good idea? Might be better to weld brackets onto the clamp and fasten to that. I am no expert but I believe that you would need to keep the clamp "cool" when you are doing this to prevent it distorting. Where are all those Mech Eng type PSB'ers? They would be able to give good advice.

Comment

I wouldn't drill holes in a triple clamp unless I could find the same triple clamp with holes drilled at the factory.
          -

Comment

it might crack, it might not, flip a coin.

What's the worst that could happen?

Actually that's a pretty good reason not to do it.
            Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

I would not do it get a custom one made if you need it.

MM

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
                Might be better to weld brackets onto the clamp and fasten to that.
                Please don't try to weld NOR drill a (cast alloy) triple clamp.

Comment

Get a replacement clamp made from billet aluminium. Yes, its expensive, but it'll be the best way to solve your problem.

Don't even bother trying to weld it. The casting will be so porous that it will simply melt away.
                  A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Bek View Post
                    So the streetfighter is coming along now and i just need to put MX bars on her. The top triple clamp in cast aluminium, about 18mm thick but has webbed bracing on the under side, so about 12mm solid material where i plan on drilling the through holes. Do u think it will crack from doing wheelies etc?
                    OMG Are you serious?

Well if you are not trolling can I have your organs when you die?
                    You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

doesn't AusFR sell all that kind of stuff so you don't make to compromise the integrity of your bike?
                      Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
                      Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Drilling or welding a cast aluminium factory triple isn't a great idea, as already ponted out by others. Being cast, the quality of the material usually doens't lend itself to welding and drilling hles may lessen the structural integrity of the part. Given that the risk of injury if there were a failure is so high I'd be inclined to either find an aftermarket solution, of have a custom billet unit made by someone who knows what they are doing 9an expensive option).

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

I've done it several times and had no issues.

Welding, on the other hand, twists fuck out of ally and your shit will never be straight again.

I shaped and drilled some 10mm steel pieces to fit into the webbing on the underside of the triple clamp and the risers bolt through the steel pieces so it's as strong as fuck.
                          If you think you can pull a set of bars off a top triple clamp done like that, your name must be Clark Kent.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	4879312

On most of my bikes I use an ABM triple clamp because they look nice and fit well.
                          But on the above K6 which is my touring bike, a drilled top triple is perfectly acceptable for me as long as it's fitted correctly, and because I did it, it is....I think.

Just take care and make sure where you're going to drill the hole is not going to be obstructed by anything on the under side, make sure you allow room for the nut (use Nyloc) and washer too.
                          Also be sure to check the risers are the same distance apart from the steering shaft. Also note that some risers (like the ones above in the pic) dont have the bolt in the exact centre of the riser so make sure you have a good look before you drill a hole.

Below, I was going to adapt Ducati Monster S4RS risers and handlebar to my K1 gixer but the twin bolt set up wasnt suitable. So may mate knocked up a bottom half of the riser which worked just fine with the top half of the Ducati riser.

Name:	100_0004-2.jpg
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	4879314

Name:	100_0006-2.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	4879315

Here you can see the webbing underneath.
                          This is where the shaped pieces of steel ended up. It didnt need to be pretty, it needed to be strong (plenty of fighter guys just use big fat washers but overkill is good)
                          I changed this set up to fit an ABM clamp for showyness only, otherwise it'd still be on there.
                          The steel bits I reused on the K6 clamp in the first pics. (sorry, don't have any pics of them)

Name:	100_0005-3.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	4879316

Hope this helps.
                          Last edited by Rocket; 02-04-2011, 06:45 PM.
                          CAUTION: ATTEMPTING TO OVERTAKE THIS VEHICLE MAY RESULT IN A HIGH SPEED WHEELIE

Comment

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I learnt something today!

Comment

Are you after something like this: BellissiMoto - Ducabike Handlebar Risers for the Streetfighter
                              My bike: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...vehicle&id=976

Comment

Working...
                              X