brake bleeding? DIY or get a pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake bleeding? DIY or get a pro?

Well my rear brakes been randomly losing all pressure and not working... I came to a conclusion that theres a bubble in the rear line or the brake fluid is out of whack.

I do wanna learn to DIY most of the basic stuff, already changed oil and filter, changed rear tyre, adjusted chain tension/balance and basic maintenance...

Issit really hard to do brake bleeding for front and rear? i know mechanic basics but maybe this is on another level. i researched it and all i need is a brake bleeding kit and a syringe and new brake fluid.

What ive learnt is that u cover the side of the reservoir for spillage, open and drain old fluid with syringe, put new fluid, put brake bleeding kit onto that hole, put pressure on brakes and open the adjuster thing to let some fluid out and repeat until all old fluid is gone, also to keep refilling the top so that no air is going through.

sounds quite fiddly and 1 mistake could just screw up my brake system which i am afraid of.

Any know whats a general price to get brakes bleeded + change?
    or issit quite simple? and should just get a kit and try it out myself?

It is very easy to do and you should be able to find some youtube videos to help out. if you want to do it even quicker buy some speed bleeders or find someone on here who has bought a pressurised brake bleeder and sort out some kind of arrangement for beer or the like.
    Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

one stuffup won't ruin things. watch some ootoobes and have a crack, it's easy as. having a mate to help is worth it, especially with the fronts where the resevoir/lever/bleed nipple aren't close by, or you need more hands than available. also helps having someone just pay attention to the resevoir level.

Comment

I have the mechanical ability of a pregnant goat and even I can now manage to bleed brakes. It's easier if someone can man the levers while you focus on just the brake itself.
        Believe me if I can do it, anyone can.

Unless you have no arms.
        Sorry armless guy it's nothing personal.

Comment

Jeremyc what area are you in if you are willing to come to me and free during the day then i can teach you how to bleed your brakes!

Comment

Where abouts are you? If you are anywhere near me (Ellenbrook / Aveley) I can bring around the tools to do the job and give you a hand. Should only take 10-15 min max.

Comment

Originally posted by That Ty Guy View Post
              I have the mechanical ability of a pregnant goat and even I can now manage to bleed brakes. It's easier if someone can man the levers while you focus on just the brake itself.
              Believe me if I can do it, anyone can.

Unless you have no arms.
              Sorry armless guy it's nothing personal.
              imagining an armless guy searching on a motorbike forum made my day

but bleeding ya brakes isnt hard. wont ruin them if u make a mistake so give it a crack. just dnt go riding if they dont work afterwards
              "pain is temporary glory is forever" - unknown

Comment

you dont need a syringe or kit, unless you are filling bone dry systems. just pump the reservoir level down before topping up, as you say dont pump it all the way down or you will suck air. the only special tool you need is 50cm of 6mm clear tubing to slip over the nipple and an ice cream container to direct the old fluid into. dont get the fluid on your paintwork or plastics either.

1. open reservoir
                2. fit hose to nipple
                3. pull lever
                4. open nipple
                5. close nipple
                6. release lever
                7. repeat 3 to 6 topping up reservoir as necessary

pretty simple

connect the hose to the nipple, so the hose goes up before it goes down so that any small suck back can only suck fluid and not air.

the clear hose also lets you monitor the air bubbles of lack off of what you are pumping out btw
                Last edited by g0zer; 05-04-2011, 05:35 PM.
                Originally posted by Bendito
                If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbr Junkie View Post
                  Jeremyc what area are you in if you are willing to come to me and free during the day then i can teach you how to bleed your brakes!
                  I am going to make you the same offer as Cbr, except I live in Tuart Hill

buelllord

PS, I wish you people would put your suburb in your profile so we can help you out a little easier ..............

PPS, Cbr, I haven't seen you for a long time my friend.
                  buelllord
                  Last edited by buelllord; 05-04-2011, 05:48 PM.
                  Women are like motorcycles, they should be ridden hard and kept well lubricated ...

Comment

Get someone to help and do what Gozer says. Whatever you do don't pay anybody ... or use fluid that has been opened for a while. Oh and make sure you keep topping up the reservoir so you don't suck another bubble.
                    -

Comment

ok me and another biker mate gonna have a crack at it, hes keen to learn as well, I got a 2001 zx6r, issit the same with most bikes? can i get that tube to go over the nipple from most bike shops?

Comment

You've probably got some tube laying around the house, there's nothing special about it.
                        -

Comment

you dont get it from bike shops, just goto bunnings. you might only be able to get 4mm clear PVC tubing but it should suffice

and dont tighten the shit out of the nipples either, its usually only a fine thread into alloy caliper and it will strip easy
                          Originally posted by Bendito
                          If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

^WHS and use a ring spanner
                            -

Comment

Go to an aquarium shop and get some latex? tubing. Better to use than the PVC in my opinion.
                              Bit more flexible getting it over the nipples.

Enough to reach the floor from your reservoir to make it easy so it's not dangling or having to find something to put your bottle on.

Ring spanner isn't important, you're not torquing it up so 'grip' isn't an issue.

You will most likely spill brake fluid, have stuff ready to clean it up straight away. Get it off your tools too.
                              I use a syringe to make sure I don't spill any - you can get decent size ones from a vet.
                              Clean your syringe properly when done.

If you have a bleed nipple in your master cylinder, don't forget to use that as well to get out any trapped air higher up.

Do not let that lever go before you tighten the nipple back up, and don't empty your reservoir completely.
                              Air is bad, mmkay?

Comment

Working...
                              X