Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

exhaust cleaning "de fowling" re chroming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust cleaning "de fowling" re chroming?

hey all

i have a sv1000 with serious exhaust neglect ...

i took the front header pipe off and just ..brass wire brushed it back via angle grinder ... did its job ..

but out of curiosity i got a blow torch and heated one end .. to see if it gets that ..copper like sheen after heat again ... as i did this i noticed scab like meterial ..glowing red than just pealing off and floating out the end off the header ..

is this just carbon build up ? or had they may have been ceramic coated and thats what was pealing off...??

in any case the exhaust headers turn into a chrome yoshi 3/4 system ...and has rust in all the ususal places ... weld lines etc .. too far in to scrub off ... in this case.. is the best option re-chroming ??

who does it ? whats it cost??

ive also seen this new stuff at supper shit .. witch has a heat proof base coat ..followed by a ..anodised kinda colour top coat .. witch in theory sounds like it would look awse ..

anybody have any experiance with this stuff??

or what i should do to just get the exhaust looking better than what it does ??

cheers for any help
    IF ITS TO LOUD ! YOUR TOO OLD

If it's "floating away" then most likely carbon buildup, wouldn't worry about it.

The stuff at supacrap sounds like it's for engines rather than exhausts, I reckon you'd end up with a burnt skanky mess if you put that on header pipes. They get faaaaarkin hot!

Ranex rust converter will clean up the welds a bit, dunno about rechroming them though - there are a few electroplaters in Perth but I'm gonna guess it will be a pretty expensive exercise.
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I reckon you should ceramic coat the headers. CIC can do a mirror finish if that's what you're into. Not too exxy either.
      Originally posted by Desmo
      Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

whats the point in just coating the headers though? u would wana do the whole exhaust yeah?? to make any real differance?
        IF ITS TO LOUD ! YOUR TOO OLD

Comment

Working...
        X