Clean chain lube off of rear tyre?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean chain lube off of rear tyre?

Cleaned and lubed my chain for the first time today, and did something pretty stupid. I managed to get a sizeable dose of it round the edge of my rear tyre before I realised what was going on. Whats the best way to get it off? Kerosene just didn't seem to work.

Couple of good suggestions in these threads.
    http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...s-lots-114678/

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...l-tyre-120931/

Comment

kerosene after WD40 works fine. then wash off with water and detergent
      Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

I'll have a proper read of those, thanks. Don't really want to get a new tyre though, this one is practically brand new Not sure if you can do a burnout on the very edge of the tyre?

Originally posted by Arwon View Post
        kerosene after WD40 works fine. then wash off with water and detergent
        Cheers, I'll give that a shot.

Comment

on a VTR you can. ive had to round off tyres before from commuting wear pattern.
          Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

The WD40 + Kero combo worked a treat by the looks of it, guess I'll find out for sure on the way to work tomorrow. If it's still bad, guess I'll have to learn to hoon

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Comment

your very funny

Comment

Originally posted by falcon7 View Post
                Cleaned and lubed my chain for the first time today, and did something pretty stupid. I managed to get a sizeable dose of it round the edge of my rear tyre before I realised what was going on. Whats the best way to get it off? Kerosene just didn't seem to work.

Hey dude,

You are obviously new to this, when lubing your chain, you only need the smallest amount.

buelllord
                Women are like motorcycles, they should be ridden hard and kept well lubricated ...

Comment

Originally posted by buelllord View Post
                  Hey dude,
                  You are obviously new to this, when lubing your chain, you only need the smallest amount.
                  Thanks for the tip . That was my plan, but its execution proved to be another matter.

Comment

Good, so you are learning .............

buelllord
                    Women are like motorcycles, they should be ridden hard and kept well lubricated ...

Comment

sand paper after washing it with soft paper (soap and water) is the best

Comment

Bump on this
                        I got a small amount on the left edge, all the way round (I got a bit excited) I rubbed it off with a sponge and water(sponge had car cleaner that had dried into it). I came back the next day and it was still shiny and sticky?
                        Should I be worried about leaning it corners?
                        cheers lads
                        Originally posted by Macca
                        The Correct number of bikes to own is n+1, where n equals the number of bikes you currently own (This is simplified and doesn't take into account the wife modifier )

Comment

if it's only a small amount on the sidewall i wouldn't be too concerned.... if it's on the tread and feels oily/slippy be best to try n remove
                          faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

It's on the outer edge of the tread surface and doesn't feel slippy but sticky, that's what I find weird haha
                            Originally posted by Macca
                            The Correct number of bikes to own is n+1, where n equals the number of bikes you currently own (This is simplified and doesn't take into account the wife modifier )

Comment

yep those chain lubes can be sticky/tacky.... mebe some detergent or degreaser and rinse off really well
                              faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Working...
                              X