Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible clutch problems??

Hi guys,

I have a 99 R6 and when i put it on a rear stand and put it in gear the rear wheel turns even with the clutch pulled right in. This doesn't seem like something that should happen. When riding it doesnt seem to pull forward or anything when sitting at lights.

Its as if the clutch isnt fully disengaging.

I have tried everything i can think of to do with the clutch including tightening the clutch cable (at both ends) and opening up the clutch and examining the plates (all looked fairly new as did the housing).

Could this be a sign of worse problems or am i just missing something fairly simple here? Any help is appreciated
    FIFTY SIX???!?!?!?!?!

On a rear stand with no load, although the clutch plates aren't in contact, there will be enough fluid movement and viscocity in cold oil to rotate the rear wheel. Once the oil is warm, the oil viscocity is reduced, and it won't rotate anymore.
    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

+1 the plates pick up oil and thats enough to transfer some drive, you may have gone to a hell of a lot of trouble for nothing.
      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

That makes sense. It seems to put quite a pull on it though (enought that i can't stop it with my hand), i dunno if this is normal? I'll take it for a ride tonight and try it again when the bike is warm
        FIFTY SIX???!?!?!?!?!

Comment

if it's not pushing the bike forward or lurching and stalling when you put it in gear then it's most likely fine, my cruiser will actually lurch and stall if i don't warm it up thoroughly before putting it in gear and there's nothing wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            +1 the plates pick up oil and thats enough to transfer some drive, you may have gone to a hell of a lot of trouble for nothing.
            Good learning experience tho, I had never taken a clutch apart before. Was syncing the carbs (also learning experience) and changing the oil so thought i might as well open up the clutch as well
            FIFTY SIX???!?!?!?!?!

Comment

definitely good experience as long as you knew to put it all back in the same order it came out.

just a very extreme way to go about finding out

Comment

Yeh i made sure i put it all back in exactly as it came out, thanks for the shared knowledge its always good to hear that theres probably nothing wrong!
                FIFTY SIX???!?!?!?!?!

Comment

did you measure the clutch plates to see they were still in tolerance?

had that happen to mine. ended up needing new clutch plates. mine did it while warm as well though
                  "pain is temporary glory is forever" - unknown

Comment

Maybe replace your friction plates if you want to have it function optimally.
                    Measure their thickness (check several spots) as Billy suggests, and compare with yamaha's publiched tollerances... they are not expensive to buy.

S.
                    Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

yeh next oil change I might change the springs becuase they seem really stiff. I've been riding a friends bike for a week or so and it made me realise how hard the clutch lever is to pull in on mine. The plates actually look brand new and are all in spec. I was really surprised when i opened it up
                      FIFTY SIX???!?!?!?!?!

Comment

What you describe is perfectly normal before you go taking anything apart try the same thing on a few other bikes. In neutral with the rear wheel off the ground. They will all do the same
                        I'm Living the dream. Really I am.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeymatt View Post
                          What you describe is perfectly normal before you go taking anything apart try the same thing on a few other bikes. In neutral with the rear wheel off the ground. They will all do the same
                          hey hey !! sounds same for the 7 out off 11 bikes ive owned.. the only real drama i had 1 day . was on smokymatts RG250 .

after a big ride .i sat it up .. and the next morning the plates were like "glued togather" .. bein an 86 RG250 . old man said push start .ride round the block so its warm . and pull up to with clutch in and see if its still glued or has freed up and is fine ..

sure enough 5 min put round the block . pulled clutch in . and was fine .. "only happened the once matt !! promise!!"

but that was another bike witch freewheeled while on a stand .. u could stop it with ur hand .. so just sounds like induced rotational force from all other working bits.

but yeah .. great experiance!! best way to learn !! and this forum has a wealth of knowladge as well !!
                          IF ITS TO LOUD ! YOUR TOO OLD

Comment

Originally posted by damfool156 View Post
                            I have tried everything i can think of to do with the clutch including tightening the clutch cable (at both ends).
                            Originally posted by damfool156 View Post
                            I might change the springs becuase they seem really stiff. I've been riding a friends bike for a week or so and it made me realise how hard the clutch lever is to pull in on mine.
                            It's very unlikely that your springs will have become stiffer with use. Have you tried lubing the clutch cable?

Comment

Yeah spring will only become less stiff with use not stiffer.

I agree try lubing the clutch cable.
                              Wes

Comment

Working...
                              X