KLR 250 Rocker arm pivot removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KLR 250 Rocker arm pivot removal.

I am pulling down a KLR 250 top end and have hit a snag. The rocker arm needs to be removed to allow the head bolts to be undone. The exhaust rocker arm pivot (may not be correct technical term) has a 6mm allen key to remove it. It is very tight. I have destroyed one allen key and one impact allen key already. The Impact driver I think was faulty and have bought another one for one more try. I will be applying heat also. I need to inspect the cylinder and head to decide whether to go ahead with the repair.

My question is, has anyone removed one of these before and are they a RH or LH thread? The inlet item is a RH thread and is easy to get out (because it doesnt matter yet). I have checked the manual and it does not specify so I am assuming it is RH.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Originally posted by chew View Post
    I have destroyed one allen key and one impact allen key already. The Impact driver I think was faulty and have bought another one for one more try.
    i would use a hi quality tool like snap on if you are having issues

Originally posted by chew View Post
    The rocker arm needs to be removed to allow the head bolts to be undone. The exhaust rocker arm pivot (may not be correct technical term)
    i thought they were ohc s so you remove the cams before removing the head if that makes any sense

striped a klr600 years ago and dont remember that giving me any trouble

as for left hand threads generaly have a marking and usualy for a specific purpose
    do you think i lack self discipline

Comment

Have removed the cams, which have one lobe operating a rocker arm that opens two valves, this is what is in the way of the head bolt. Tried freeze and release after applying heat and still no luck with the upgraded Impact driver. Will hunt down some more tools and try again.

I think it has never been removed before and being the exhaust side is just going to be stubborn.
      They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

I remember this problem... the solution is simpler then you think (if im understanding you right that is) you just lift the rocker arm out of the way... found this pic on the net and then drew on it hope it helps

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together...

Comment

You sir, will be deserving a beer from me. At the moment the rocker arm is hitting the locater sleeve/insert that the cam bearing cap goes on (there is one there, in the top right corner) in the left hand bottom corner(?) of the circle in your illustration. So I remove that and away we go! Boy do I feel like a tunnel visioned dickhead right now. I salute you.

Comment

Haha glad I could help, I remember this because it got me stumped for a sec as well. That none thinking tunnel vision happens to the best of us
            Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together...

Comment

Working...
            X