Bike reluctant to turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike reluctant to turn

My VTR250 was fine riding to work this morning.
    On the way home, I noticed that it was getting really unstable and wobbly when I hit a bump. Anytime I tried to lean the bike, the bike was fighting it and trying to get upright again. It is worse turning right than left.
    The tires don't look flat... If anyone with some know how is in the Canning Vale area and can come by for a quick look, please let me know. Could it be the tires need replacing? They seem to have plenty of tread left but I'm not sure.
    All else failing I'll try and ride it into KTEC tomorrow.
    If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

the tyres don't necessarily have to "look" flat to be flat, get down to 20 and you'll struggle to tip in

Comment

just a heads up mate if you were planning to 'drop in' on kamahl - I was there today and he was talking about how he'll be on the road most of the day tomorrow. your best bet would be to go there after 2:30 - 3 o'clock

Comment

measure the tyre pressure first up.
        There are two questions in life.
        1:Which way do I go
        2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

Flat as a 4 year old. Nice 1 inch nail in the rear tire.
          I do have a tire pump at home but no tire puncture kit.
          Tires for bikes is a good 15km away. I suppose I could drive to work and sneak out early and pick up a puncture kit from Tires for Bikes. Then get the tire replaced on Saturday.
          If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

Comment

If you have the tools and ability, take the wheel off and take it in to tyres for bikes. Tis cheaper too.
            Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

I have neither.
              I'm very new to this whole handy tool bike thing.

Comment

Originally posted by SilentBob View Post
                Flat as a 4 year old. Nice 1 inch nail in the rear tire.
                ...... I suppose I could drive to work and sneak out early and pick up a puncture kit from Tires for Bikes. Then get the tire replaced on Saturday.
                ^^^ do this
                I picked up a nail on my rear, right in the middle of the tyre track (which is the best place to get one) plugged it with my repair kit and got another 8000k out of it

p.s. if/when you get a repair kit, make sure you get one with the little air bottle, it will pump it up enough to get you to a servo after plugging your tyre on the side of the road

Comment

I got mine right near the middle of the tire. Where the rubber meets the road. I'm assuming I can pick up a kit from Tires for Bikes? Annoying as hell that I have to drive into work.

Comment

I've had a couple, someone told me its the front wheel flicking them up before the rear wheel runs over them.
                    -

Comment

if your tyre has plenty of tread take it in to the shop and get a patch fitted on the inside, plugs are good but the professional patch for $30 or so will outlast your tyre.

for a rear tyre and commuting on a 250 i wouldn't bother replacing it.
                      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

So how did you go?? I think you would have been better off asking a really nice person to come take the back wheel off for you so you could take the back wheel with you and have it done properly. If you stuff around with it yourself you might be up for a new tyre rather than just the cost of a plug repair

Comment

Bought a plug kit today. Plugged it when I got home. Waiting for it to dry then I'm gonna try pump it up.
                          I was quoted $70 to get it patched. And $170 for a new tyre fitted. I'm rather tempted to just get the new tyre since I'll be commuting every day til September on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Shadow View Post
                            ^^^ do this
                            I picked up a nail on my rear, right in the middle of the tyre track (which is the best place to get one) plugged it with my repair kit and got another 8000k out of it

p.s. if/when you get a repair kit, make sure you get one with the little air bottle, it will pump it up enough to get you to a servo after plugging your tyre on the side of the road
                            Do NOT use a tyre repair kit to "permanently" fix a tyre. They are a stopgap solution designed just to get you home.
                            You need a proper mushroom plug fitted by a reputable tyre shop. Nothing less will suffice.

Comment

Well, took the bike down to Tyres for Bikes this morning..
                              The nail went in at an angle that made it unsafe to use the mushroom plug according to the staff. Got a new tyre fitted in 30 mins for $165.

Comment

Working...
                              X