Help or suggestions on VTR250 full exhaust install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help or suggestions on VTR250 full exhaust install

I was able to get my hands on a full exhaust for my 2000 VTR250 but I now encounter challenge in installing it.

The install seemed simple, simplier than the usual hacksaw and slip on. Remove the original exhaust and muffler:

and replace with the new exhaust:

Now comes the clincher. I know the slip on to the rear exhaust pipe should be tight so there would be no leaks but this is ridiculously tight and looks like it will not slip in, It should slip in 34mm deep but only goes in 12mm:

This is the end of the rear exhaust pipe:

and this is the slip on of the new exhaust system:

Things that I have tried is grind the exhaust pipe with a dremel grinder and the inside of the exhaust a bit, heated the pipe with a butane torch and pound something in, grease, etc.:

and still would not budge. Stainless is tough.
    In car forums it was suggested to go to an exhaust shop have the new exhaust go through a hydraulic pipe expander but the car exhaust shop I called worked with 40mm diameter pipes but this exhaust is ony 30mm.
    Here is a side by side comparison with the original exhaust:

Anyone done this before even with even another model bike, any suggestions or ideas?? Know a place that has a hydraulic pipe expander that can do 30mm??? Would appreciate any ideas guys.
    2000 VTR 250
    2001 TTR 250
    2002 F650GS

I wouldn't use a pipe expanded on stainless, you'll likely crack it.
    Tried heating the slip on?

Comment

that attachment looks way to small to even fit.

the easier opition would have been is to cut the orginal muffer off and put a slip on thats what i done when i had my vtr250 ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
        I wouldn't use a pipe expanded on stainless, you'll likely crack it.
        Tried heating the slip on?
        Yes, I have. It would not expand as much as I needed to.
        2000 VTR 250
        2001 TTR 250
        2002 F650GS

Comment

Originally posted by Goldmember View Post
          that attachment looks way to small to even fit.

the easier opition would have been is to cut the orginal muffer off and put a slip on thats what i done when i had my vtr250 ^_^
          Yes, but the the full stainless exhaust just looks to good to not install. Vanity I know. I am sure the collective wisdom of PSB will be able to suggest or figure something out.
          2000 VTR 250
          2001 TTR 250
          2002 F650GS

Comment

it looks like you might be missing a part,
            It would be an idea to call the place were you got it to see if theres ment to be another part or if theres anthing in stock that will work.

Comment

Either email the person you bought it off to see how they did it or try cutting off where it has the split to shorten it cause it looks too long
              "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

PM Gav (GD Enginnering) & see if he can help sort it (if you get no joy from the vendor).
                .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

Originally posted by smeghead View Post
                  PM Gav (GD Enginnering) & see if he can help sort it (if you get no joy from the vendor).
                  Thanks sounds I will PM him
                  2000 VTR 250
                  2001 TTR 250
                  2002 F650GS

Comment

Have you tried slipping the rear pipes together without the front header being in it's correct position. I am saying this because in the 4th photo [closeup], it appears that the two rear pipes are not aligned, and you may have to back off the two header to cylinder head bolts so the existing short section of header can move a little.

buelllord
                    Women are like motorcycles, they should be ridden hard and kept well lubricated ...

Comment

Originally posted by buelllord View Post
                      Have you tried slipping the rear pipes together without the front header being in it's correct position.
                      In the third pic the front headers isnt bolted up

Comment

Shouldn't the new "full exhaust" have included a new header?
                        It looks like you're trying to connect up to the stock header.
                        Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

Pretty sure thats just comparing the two exhausts

Comment

To me that looks like a nice shiny new exhaust being connected to a rusty old header pipe. (which has be touched up with a dremel)
                            I'd be surprised if the new system was designed to use the existing header.

If you want to to a bodge job, cut a couple of slits in the end of the header, offset from the slits in the new pipe.
                            Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

i think your missing something. usually when a pipe has slits in it you can be sure theres a gasket of some sort needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X