Help! Stupid mistake lol...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Stupid mistake lol...

Hey guys, yesterday afternoon me and my father went for a ride and decided to take one of my mate with us. She rode with my father and we assumed that she had riden a bike before and she would know where to put her feet etc, anyway long story short about an hour into the ride my dad smelt burning rubber and realized that she didn't have her foot on the foot peg she had her foot on the exhaust! Luckily she had 5 inch gloth platform silly looming boot things on lol so her feet are ok haha now the realy question is....

How are we going to get the black plastic/rubber/latex shit off my dads chrome exhausts?

Cheers guys.

hmm i would use sand paper... and WD40.

Comment

get it hot and then scrape off as much as you can with a small peice of wood. Then use 0000 grade steel wool to buff the rest off with. This is how I clean my pipes on the cruiser when the bike cover or other things burn onto it.
      Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

what about that freeze spray can . any good

Comment

Do a search, someone had this problem late last year, quite a few suggestions in there

Comment

Allot of people suggest WD40, and allot also suggest metal polish.
            Just be really careful and goodluck!

Comment

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...ight=buelllord

It was me Sandra ................

buelllord
              Women are like motorcycles, they should be ridden hard and kept well lubricated ...

Comment

or wet sand fine grade b4 steel wool aswell.

Comment

Petrol on a rag and rub it off.

Comment

I know some people have suggested using steel wool and/or sandpaper but I can assure you that using either will leave fine scratches on the chrome that cannot be removed.
                    The offending mqaterial is more likely to be a plastic based substance so using a solvent such as petrol or thinners on a rag is you best bet, WD40 or CRC is definitely worth a shot or even Areogard, you would suprised what that shit will remove.

Remove any residue with a fine metal polish.
                    They say money can't buy happiness. But you can use it to buy a Triumph and you never see sad people riding Triumphs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger1 View Post
                      I know some people have suggested using steel wool and/or sandpaper but I can assure you that using either will leave fine scratches on the chrome that cannot be removed.
                      Never had any issues on my bike
                      Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

Be careful. that link that buellord put up was for stainless steel.....Not chrome.

As chrome is an applied coating itself dont use anything abrasive as you will leave scratches that need to be re-chromed.

Best best is to get it hot again and wipe. then buff it.

Comment

Carby cleaner may help, can dissolve some plastics/rubbers
                          There are two questions in life.
                          1:Which way do I go
                          2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
                            Never had any issues on my bike
                            Possibly because Triumph chrome is of a high quality however the OP didn't mention what what sort of bike his dad owns. Chrome can be very soft and easily marked by a whole range of stuff so in this case using solvent is the safest option.

Having said that, using steel wool on chrome will always have a detrimental effect on a chrome finish regardless of the quality. You may not think the steel wool is causing scratches but I would suggest parking your bike next to a new Thunderbird and comparing the two, the result may very well be surprising.
                            They say money can't buy happiness. But you can use it to buy a Triumph and you never see sad people riding Triumphs.

Comment

Yamaha, classic 1100... Not sure if that is what's it's called lol but that's what my dad said it's called haha

Not sure how well the pic turned out but that is the damage to the pipe :s
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X