Honda CB250 indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda CB250 indicators

My CB250 indicator lights have been acting up lately, and yesterday they just stopped working. Don't think it's the bulbs as all 4 indicator lights aren't working (but headlights/brake lights work fine), just wanted to ask around to see if anyone has any idea what's going on? Any help would be appreciated :mellow:

Also I'm pretty noob at mechanical stuff, so if I can't fix it myself any idea if any bike mechanics are open during the long weekend? Thanks!

See if you can find your flasher unit, it may look like this

or

If it started to play up before failing it may be the problem, give if a gentle whack and see if they start working.

Got a test light?
    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, but I'm not really sure where the flasher unit is? can't find it anywhere in the owner's manual...

Comment

I had an old cb250 and the contacts in the switch block were dirty.
        Just remove the screws and clean the contacts.
        Beware if pulling the switch apart there is a small spring and ball that could fall out.
        It pays to take a photo of anything you pull apart to make sure it is put back the same way

Comment

I found the flasher unit (or at least I think that's what it was) cleaned the contacts and tried it again - felt a ''click'' when I turned the indicator switch but the lights still don't work any other ideas? thanks!

Comment

This gets easier to work out with a test light.

The chain of events for most indicators to work is;

The flasher unit gets 12 volts from the ignition switch normally via a fuse. (test 1 = check for power at the flasher unit terminal can be marked 'X', 'B', '49' OR '+'), if there is no power check fuses, ignition switch and wiring. If there is power go to next test.
            The second pin from the flasher unit (pin 'L' or '49a') goes to the indicator switch (test 2 = check for power at the common centre switch terminal) If there is no power, replace flasher unit. yes to power = next test.

The indicator switch then switches to either the left or right side and supplies power to the globes. If the globes are OK and connected to ground they will light up.
            (Test 3 = check for power to the globes when the switch is on that side) no power = clean or replace switch. Power = yes next test.

If test 1,2 and 3 have power, then check for power on the ground (body) side of the globe. If there is power, then the ground to the globe is missing, and if there is no power, the globe is open circuit.
            Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Working...
            X