Kawasaki W800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki W800

Since I have had the bike for a bit of time now thought it might be time to throw my 2c into the mix

I've done over 4,000km on my new W800 now since buying it in January.
    I fell in love when the first pictures started circulating the internet last year. Its one of those bikes where you are either into the retro look or not. I wouldn't say its only for the 50+ age bracket (i'm only 22.) First thing to hit you when you see the bike in person is the quality of the bike. The paint is very good with a massive amount of metallic through it and a fair amount of clear. All the metal components fenders, side covers ect all seem like they will be quite corrosion/ rust resistant.

The ride:
    The owners manual claims 50hp which, while not a lot gets the job done. It is far from being a rocket but the engine is quite happy to pull all the way to its 7,000rpm redline.
    At 100km it sits on 3,500rpm and will do that with ease all day. It will do the ton with some reserve and even hits it (just) two up. The gears are nice and wide and make good use of the power it has.
    Having a pillion is not an issue as the bike is quite capable with the added weight and feeback from my passenger has been that the ride is quite comfy. One thing to point out is that like most new bikes it sounds terrible and the sanitised exhaust note is something high on the list to fix. Custom pipes are the only way at the moment as each exhaust is 1 peice so unlike the bonnie slipons are not an option.
    The brakes work well enough. I have been reading around the net how people don't like them. The front needs at least 1,000km to really bed in and get some feel to it. While the rear works fine for a drum.
    The suspension is somewhat cheap and can be harsh at times but gets the job done.
    The seating position is really comfortable for me (I'm 5'11) Did a 500km run on saterday and apart from a little bit of stiffness in my legs had no issues.
    Overall:
    Pro's:
    -Fuel economy. I'm getting 24km/l consistently 27km/l on the country run
    -Looks good with high quality finish.
    -Is a pleasure to ride.
    -The extras it has over the bonnie
    -Comfortable
    -Light steering, composed around corners
    -Turns heads
    -I actually quite like the engine character
    -Alloy spoked rims

Cons:
    -Exhaust
    -Centre stand is too low. Fine for cornering but have wacked it on a driveway and speedbump 2up
    -Tires. look the part but bike will benifit from decent rubber.
    -no kickstart
    -No genuine acsessories as yet

Currently getting custom headers made by Matt at V&H welding and adding short reverse cones. Will post a vid when its finished.

Last edited by pley3r; 24-04-2011, 09:18 PM.
    Motorbikes run on fire and air. Its elemental -Matt Kelly

I didn't realize anyone on here had one of these, beautiful bike, Kawasaki got the retro right on this even better than the current Trumpy,
    National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

Kawasaki W650 has 50hp, the 800 has 70hp. Are you sure the manual says 50hp?

Himalayan Heroes W E B S I T E , F A C E B O O K

Perth Cafe Racers F A C E B O O K

Comment

I'm waiting til someone releases a full fairing for this bike like the one someone bloke in the UK did for the Bonneville. This will make a very sweet cafe racer.
        I do sorta wish they had gone for rear disc brakes tho.
        If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

Comment

Originally posted by SilentBob View Post
          I do sorta wish they had gone for rear disc brakes tho.
          They can't win, if they make it retro people complain.
          If they try to modernise anything, people complain (eg. no kickstand)
          For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
          For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by pley3r View Post
            At 100km it sits on 3,500rpm and will do that with ease all day. It will do the ton with some reserve and even hits it (just) two up.
            Having a pillion is not an issue as the bike is quite capable with the added weight and feeback from my passenger has been that the ride is quite comfy.
            I'm his pillion *Waves hello*
            We did the Ton on Thursday.... I giggled like a small school girl- It was wonderful! The bike is wonderfully comfortable and fits me well (at 6'2'') The only "GRRR" I have with the bike are where the pillion hand-holds/grabs/bars what-have-you. It is most likely my height- but it's a bugger to reach on each side!
            And we've hit a few speed humps and the centre stand has made a great scraping sound- sending Pley3r into the frenzied "Is the bike ok?!" dance. (I've now been instructed to "GET OFF!" when we reach a speed hump and walk along side the bike. )
            Otherwise a great bike, I hated it at first when he took me out to see it, I'm a big Bonny fan- but it's grown on me, allot. The paint is AMAZING.

Comment

it's good to see younger guys riding retro bikes.

Comment

Sorry thought I'd add for him
                The mirrors were bloody huge/massive and UGLY! He got some new ones which are sweet (handle bar mounted ones- prick to get on- but well worth it!)
                And. It's not my height... the pillion grab bars are in a STUPID position. So get cozy with the riders waist instead.
                And he's a retro bike junkie razlee, he has an SR 500 cafe racer which is his pride and joy....if the funds allowed him- he'd have 4 bikes if he could! They'd all be retro

Comment

Yeah the bar ends were a bit of work to get on. The handlebars stock have solid metal rods welded inside. Just drilled the welds out and they slide out.
                  The pillion handles are usefull to tie things to though.
                  lol yer self confessed retro fan....
                  Yeah the manual states 50hp. maybe they just recycled the W650 manual

Comment

Why is rear disk brakes so important? (other than looks).

My rear drums have never been found lacking. (fronts, now that is different)
                    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

^I don't see the problem either. On the rear they work fine and mean no hydralics to have to look after

Comment

Will we get the cafe racer version here?

Triumph Rocket
                        Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
                        XT 250 Yamaha
                        SYM HD200
                        SYM Shark 125

Comment

I've heard it's a limited edition in Japan only (Please don't quote me- I've heard it through the grape vine)
                          Pley3r would love one though
                          I think he might know though- we were talking about it a few days back.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper humper View Post
                            Will we get the cafe racer version here?

I wouldn't be holding your breath

Comment

I hadn't realised they were already in Oz - good man, methinks we need to go for a ride together when I get back and get a bike. I would love to at least try one of these, and I suspect I would easily fall in love, but I'm too much of a brand loyal man, my next bike simply has to be a Triumph. Afterwards, a Moto Guzzi, a new Norton if the opportunity arises, Royal Enfield...list goes on.
                              http://jupiterstravellers.org

Comment

Working...
                              X