need a new chain. Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a new chain. Suggestions

I need to change my chain. I know nothing about chains. kawasaki quoted me around 200 bucks for one. on ebay there's chains from 30 bucks. and for 140 you can get O'ring ones painted (just for the looks). What's the difference between O'ring and normal. what's this O'ring thing?

any brands? how important is that I get a decent chain?

cheers

Don't get a new chain fix your brakes first . I for one will feel safer on the road .

Comment

Look on ebay stores and google your particular model of bike, A D.I.D chain and sprockets from the U.S will cost you <$300. Also you can choose sprocket combination giving you more accelaration or more top speed.
      There are good blokes on here that will fit them for you in exchange for beer, Just keep it to yourself though otherwise some sad bastards may get upset, As they see it as taking away their business.
      all the w's sprocketcenterdotcom

Comment

The better the chain the longer it'll last, o ring chains will last longer than normal and x ring better again. I prefer RK GXW chains (x-ring) but DID ERV3 (x ring) are good too.

Email superbiketoystore or motomummy and they'll give you a price if they can ship them to you. Normally about $180us for a chain & sprocket kit
        Last edited by speed3; 16-05-2011, 07:06 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

First off, make sure the chain is going to fit the sprockets which you replace at the same time. Depending on the bike it will like 520, 525 or 530 chain best.
          Then organise sprockets that match your bike.
          Then look at chains that match the bike's output power - for example an 8000lb breaking force chain doesn't really suit a Hayabusa which can load up to 11000lb on the chain. Streeeeeeeetch.

O-ring chains have O-rings (derrr ) between the link plates which hold grease inside the link pins. They generally last longer than normal chains because they stay lubricated better. X-ring chains are the same but go one step betterer again than O-rings in their lubrication holding powah.

If you don't know anything about what you're doing, find out the HP your bike puts out and call Tsubaki - they can probably help you out and a lot cheaper than the bike shops.
          "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

There's another very important point too that Starfish's post mentions, that I only bring up because you say you know nothing about chains - make sure that after the chain has been replaced that you lubricate it often, otherwise you'll likely find yourself with frozen links/rust etc, and you'll end up having to replace your chain again, sooner that you should. I hear Motul chain lube is good.

Comment

Tsubaki in Welshpool:

Tsubaki Australia
              110 Radium Street
              Welshpool WA 6106
              (08) 9356 9700

/close thread.

S.
              Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

Indeed.

@pnorkle, that's one opinion. I also know people who never touch their chains and still get 15,000km out of 'em. Personally I'm in the middle: buy a good X ring chain and whack some lube on occasionally (every 1000km or so?) and that's it. For the sake of having to replace a chain every 2 years instead of every 2.5 years, it saves you a hell of a lot of squatting and getting shit over everything.

RE: Tsubaki, if you're not going to be a cockhead (and most of us aren't, this is just for the Brendon/ans and Polonies and suchlike) worth mentioning to Lee @ Tsubaki that you came from here.

Eventually they might decide to sponsify PSB if enough people wandering in point them our way
                "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Fair point - but my idea of "often" sounds close to how often you do yours. I've had mine for 23000 and lube it every 5-8 hundred ks or so, sometimes with Castrol lube (which is shite - get's everywhere) sometimes with BelRay and sometimes with RP7. At the moment, I'm just waiting for the Castrol to run out so I can buy some Motul.

Comment

I like belray. In the process o changing over to a tsubaki now. Last chain was underspecced, gave me a whole 8000km. One before I got 23000.

Comment

wow, lots of info here, Cheers guys! I'll probably have to wait another few weeks to get this job done cuz I'm at uni an exams are around the corner. Sometimes I wish I could pause life to do whatever I want. Perharps if anyone one find that remote from the movie click for sale on ebay let me know aye

lube every 1000km that's gonna be once every 6-8 weeks. Change the cahina every 20000 kms sounds good. I'm just wondering if the previous owner had changed it before o.O bike has currently 51000km. And the last guy that had it was a useless C**t.

ok. Gonna go for an X ring chain if it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. and will have to get the BBQ going and buy some beers 2. Will find out how many hp my bike does and find all the info necessary, find few chains and ask u guys for an opinion again.

Comment

Sprocket Center -
                        There are two questions in life.
                        1:Which way do I go
                        2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

For about $180 US you can get quality RK chain and Driven Sprokets from several places on the net.
                          Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Originally posted by Sprint View Post
                            Tsubaki in Welshpool:

Tsubaki Australia
                            110 Radium Street
                            Welshpool WA 6106
                            (08) 9356 9700

/close thread.

S.
                            their number is disconnected. I guess they miossed out.

I'm looking at getting one from sprokets center just because their website is organised by brand and model so I don't have to worry about if it will fit and if it is strong enough, any problems with that I just blame on them :p

but that's the set I'm thinking of getting - Superlite 525 Steel Sprocket Set w/EK 525MVXZ Colored X'Ring Chain - KAWASAKI - Sprocket Center

Just afraid my chain is gonna snap before the new one gets here :p chain felt off on tuesday and I have to take off really slowly otherwise the chain slides off the sproket :mellow: not good

Comment

Originally posted by tunnermann View Post
                              I have to take off really slowly otherwise the chain slides off the sproket :mellow: not good
                              I (and I'm sure others) would love to see a photo of your sprocket.. specially after that last statement... care to oblige?

Comment

Working...
                              X