Ducati 1198 setup and handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ducati 1198 setup and handling

Does anyone have any experience setting up an 1198? It is a stock standard road bike.

The bike wants to push wide and is hard to get to change direction. For example, going through the esses at Barbagello if you are on the gas through the right kink, it is hard to pull it back and set up the left hander.

Out of the basin is much the same, with a fair amount of effort required to get it to stay on a reasonable line.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Set your basics use a tape measure to get it in the ball park tapes don't lie. Then change to suit after that. Don't over complicate it there is no magic bullet. Very basic! running wide raise rear or lower front or both.

MM
    Marty MOOSE
    Last edited by Marty MOOSE; 17-05-2011, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Yes, the plan was to do the basics with sag and then play around with ride height.

I heard on the grapevine that the local 1198 superbike had a new swingarm fitted to get to handle. I wondered if there was history around 1198 handling.

Comment

Do yourself a favour and take it to Marty and let him set it up for you. He worked magic on my 1198S!
        My bike: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...vehicle&id=976

Comment

Don't know, I'm sure you can fix what you have with basic set up.

MM

Comment

Both the 1098 & 1198 suffer from a lack of trail. You can try dropping the forks through the triples to raise the front a little, or lower the ride height through an adjustable height adjuster on the rear. The ideal fix is an offset triple (30mm) which will extend the wheel base slightly & increase the trail by 6mm - this will let the bike into the corners quicker & get you out of the corners sharper. As others have said (and if you want to set up to a budget), you want to make sure that you've got your static sag set correctly first with about 40mm front & 30mm rear. Dan Kyle (the go-to guy for Ohlins set ups) recommends 12 - 16mm of preload on the rear shock (it has way too much from the factory and may not be acheivable without machining the adjusting nut). I'd suggest taking a look here (Ducati Superbikes - Home of the Ducati 1198) and doing a search - there's so much info about setting up for the track here that you'll probably find all the answers you're looking for.

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

Originally posted by nevr2old View Post
              Does anyone have any experience setting up an 1198? It is a stock standard road bike.

The bike wants to push wide and is hard to get to change direction. For example, going through the esses at Barbagello if you are on the gas through the right kink, it is hard to pull it back and set up the left hander.

Out of the basin is much the same, with a fair amount of effort required to get it to stay on a reasonable line.

Anyone had similar experiences?
              yep, typical Ducati track handling. I bought a Triumph and left the ducs for the road haha
              q
              bevel drive, belt drive, desmoquattro, testastretta, desmosedici....an evolution
              -> Triumph 675, a revolution and obsession
              __________________________________________________ _________________________

Comment

Thanks for the direction Sumfun. I would have started working in the other direction. Once the sags were done would have dropped the front or raised the rear to get it to turn quicker. Going the other way and dropping the rear seems a little counter intuitive, but that wouldn't be the first time things were the opposite to what I thought.

q - I thought it was because all the ducs were too precious.

Comment

Dropping the rear and raising the front(push forks through) won't help your running wide but it wil increase trail. Your issue is running wide. Once you set the sags ride it and tune it to suit if then you find it tank slaps more or wants to tuck the front then address the trail issues(clamps). The reason fitting clamps with less offset works is to get the thing to turn sharp you have to lift the rear so far the trail measurement which is small std gets too small.

Trail is like caster on a car increasing it won't make the bike tip in faster it will affect self centering and scrub radius i.e tucking or pushing which affects traction and thats why they fit the clamps. If you really start to worry about it that much you better start to make tyre diameter measurements and start to adjust your ride heights to suit different tyres!
                  Marty MOOSE
                  Last edited by Marty MOOSE; 20-05-2011, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks Marty. We will go down the path of sag and incremental adjustments. It does need changes as it isn't right now and the owner has no confidence.

And I had to make suspension changes for changed tyre diameter on my R6 because it was so sensitive! Or it hated me....

Comment

Don't even talk to me about R6's I hated mine

Comment

Originally posted by nevr2old View Post
                        Thanks for the direction Sumfun. I would have started working in the other direction. Once the sags were done would have dropped the front or raised the rear to get it to turn quicker. Going the other way and dropping the rear seems a little counter intuitive, but that wouldn't be the first time things were the opposite to what I thought.

q - I thought it was because all the ducs were too precious.
                        that too!
                        q
                        bevel drive, belt drive, desmoquattro, testastretta, desmosedici....an evolution
                        -> Triumph 675, a revolution and obsession
                        __________________________________________________ _________________________

Comment

Working...
                        X