Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to avoid x-ray of custom frame?

Hi All,

This is my first post so big hi to everyone!

I'm thinking of building a custom bike and after reading several guides from DoT I'm still lost when it comes to the law regarding imported custom frames. Is there any document that makers could provide to make the frame automatically approved without potential need to get it x-rayed or the govnmt again wants to fill the pockets of local engineers implying that no one abroad knows how to weld?

If you had gone this route and imported a custom new frame what was your experience with getting it singed off?

Thanks in advance for help!

yup our standards mean squat... must be a way of evading that bs
    faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Yeah I'm completely happy with using a frame bought overseas with out it being checked. Nothing major if the head stem broke free.

Building a custom isn't cheap. If your a tightarse then don't do it.
      Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

I can't see a custom frame from overseas being any different to building one here as far as compliance goes
        Everything will need engineering certificates for it to be registered, i doubt our Aussie friends will approve an American engineering certificates cos they build to American standards, Aussie standards are more stringent , you might possibly be able to provide the manufacturer with all Aussie standards, but the will cos you a bucket in itself
        Is it viable to get a custom from the states and have it shipped over? I have never had a custom bike frame made but just getting something that weighs 5kg from the states burns holes in my bank ballance

Comment

Don't fill it full of cocaine
          It didn't look that far on the map...

Comment

Originally posted by Noelius View Post
            ... Aussie standards are more stringent , you might possibly be able to provide the manufacturer with all Aussie standards...
            More stringent than US...maybe. But I want to ship it from Europe where quality is certainly more in place than here.
            My frame would come already coated and I would not want to get it sand blasted just to show the welds to the engineer. Also from what I read xray is used mainly for butt welds which are not used by frame makers.

Is it viable to import? Well, that is good way to get something unique. What I have seen on offer in Oz is either ridiculously pricey or sucks balls.

Comment

fair call, i shoulda asked where you were looking, i assumed it was the US but shouldnt have.
              i think providing australian standards to the manufacturer would be your best bet and see if they can give you engineering documentation that will satisfy our mungbeans in power, you shouldnt have to remove your coatings for an xray, only NDT (non destructive testing)(AKA crack testing)
              as long as the type and size of the weld is in the standard and you can get an engineering signoff, youll be cooking with gas.
              hope you manage a win mate

Comment

Ask manufacturer what standees they comply too, some may well do European and international recognised standeds.
                How to go about cross referencing I have no idea,
                i do know a welding inspector though, I will ask her opinion.
                REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                (anarchy in english )

Comment

After a briefe chat the train of thought is an engineer should sign off stating it is all good.
                  Actual X- ray of a frame seams a bit e extream , that is not to say this is the ruling 100% .
                  after all , it's just a casual chat.
                  REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                  (anarchy in english )

Comment

What Standard do they operate to?
                    From what I can see your welds must meet AS1554, however it is possible to use their inspection/ lab reports to prove conformity if their Standard required the same tests- there is no limit to the amount of Codes met with the same test results.

The issue is that usually our Codes (weld Codes are simply a weld test that meets a Standard so I use the term almost interchangeably in this case) are more stringent in that they require more testing. If this additional testing isn't done when the welder codes up, or during the manufacture, you cannot get it done retrospectively. That's where the xray comes in.

If you know what Standard they operate to you can obtain a copy and compare testing requirements to our Standard, which would tell you if you need xray or not.

Obviously an engineer has to sign of on the frame but I assume this is a professional set up and you would get that par course?

I would suggest you also get a welding inspector or welding engineer report recording compliance.

Hope this makes sense, I'm on my phone so it's hard to see
                    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground...

Comment

Thanks for your input guys!
                      I'm gonna speak to the folks in Welshpool today and see what their official stance is. Will keep you updated.

Comment

As 1554 is a pretty rubbish std as far as international welding standards go. You would rather it be built to AWS or one of the better Iso stds anyway. That being said - see if the supplier can send you a MDR (manufacturers data report) that includes 'as built' drawings, material certs and weld inspections - with 100% visual as well as MPI and UT on all critical areas. Also see if they have a test cert or similar etc for the frames they may have tested.

If they can supply that with the frame I am sure an engineer would sign of on the documentation rather than haveing to re-do any testing on the frame.

Comment

Step 1: Buy uncoated frame.
                          Step 2: Get frame coated/painted after xray/inspection.

It's not rocket surgery.
                          Originally posted by Desmo
                          Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Originally posted by bamarek View Post
                            Thanks for your input guys!
                            I'm gonna speak to the folks in Welshpool today and see what their official stance is. Will keep you updated.
                            Expect to get different answers/opinions depending on who you talk to and what sort of mood they are in.

Comment

Yes Sprung, the mood factor worries me too.

I spoke to an engineer today and the answer is that if my frame is not a one off construction (irrespectively who made it) and the manufacturer has appropriate certifications (even if they are European ones, e.g. EN 287-1) my frame should be approved without additional crack testing. It can also be already coated. However, it is always up to the inspector to decide if additional crack testing is required. I'm fine with this answer because I'm planning to buy some very decent frame and not anything dodgy.

Comment

Working...
                              X