Discoloured rubber.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discoloured rubber.

Hola, my first bike is doing great (2011 CBR 250r) and is in perfect condition although I have noticed the rubber is discoloured all over, as shown in the pics.
    Does anyone know how I can fix this?
    For extra points, should I paint over the rust on the exhaust cover (make the whole thing black) or is there a way to get that off too?

​You can never lose a homing pigeon - if your homing pigeon doesn't come back, what you've lost is a pigeon.

I wouldn't personally apply any products to a rubber footpeg.
    Best off buying replacements.

Autoglym vinyl and rubber care is great for other areas however.

Comment

Any idea how it occurred? I bought it a week ago and it was already like that
      Last edited by Aus; 11-10-2013, 01:43 PM.
      ​You can never lose a homing pigeon - if your homing pigeon doesn't come back, what you've lost is a pigeon.

Comment

I suspect someone tried to clean it with a product that didn't agree with it.

Genuine parts?

Comment

Originally posted by Aus View Post
          Any idea how it occurred? I bought it a week ago and it was already like that
          Its the coating from the factory, mine was same before a good detergent wash and detail with Armour all.
          (obviously dont armor all footpegs)

Comment

done a few of those silver covers, it would help if the factory applied a flat clear over the silver.

paint it black.

just use a fine scotchbrite first and clean it with dishwashing liquid, then pst pst with a rattle can

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Do you live near the ocean and leave the bike outside at all?

RR
              http://www.cleanride.com.au - https://www.facebook.com/cleanridedetailingstudio/ - https://twitter.com/CleanRideAD - https://www.instagram.com/clean_ride_aus/

Comment

Originally posted by Aufitt View Post
                Its the coating from the factory, mine was same before a good detergent wash and detail with Armour all.
                (obviously dont armor all footpegs)
                I've only washed it once and previous owner said he usually used only water. I'll have to buy some armorall... Hopefully you are correct out of everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by potato View Post
                  done a few of those silver covers, it would help if the factory applied a flat clear over the silver.

paint it black.

just use a fine scotchbrite first and clean it with dishwashing liquid, then pst pst with a rattle can

I'll do that tomorrow Will a matte/gloss black be sufficient or do I need a high heat resistant spray?

Originally posted by RRossi View Post
                  Do you live near the ocean and leave the bike outside at all?

RR

I live close but only had it three days, previous owner did not live near the ocean and it appears he left it in a garage... Hopefully Auffit is correct in it being a factory coating.

Comment

Had a go at giving it a hard rub (yes funny) on all the yellow parts with some isoproyl and a cloth. Went back an hour later and only had very minor yellow marks Must have been some manufacturer coating. I'll check tomorrow and do it a last time...but now on to the heat shield

Comment

Mr Sheen is a good alternative to armour all. You can use it on painted surfaces too
                      my pics

Comment

there should be a sufficient distance tween the exhaust and the shield to use non hi heat rated paints on it (the shield)
                        faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Hola, my first bike is doing great (2011 CBR 250r) and is in perfect condition although I have noticed the rubber is discoloured all over, as shown in the pics.
                          Does anyone know how I can fix this?
                          For extra points, should I paint over the rust on the exhaust cover (make the whole thing black) or is there a way to get that off too?

Rubber discoloration isn't a problem at all. Honestly, I had the same issue on my 250r. It's due to him using the wrong cleaning solutions on the bike. Some stronger stuff eats away at the rubber and will leave it all weird like that.
                          If I had to make a choice, I would probably try to leave it as be. Use some of this www.motorcyclehouse.com/Motorcycle-Oils.htm . It's like wd40 but stronger so you can scrub and get some rust out. If you can't, I would recoomend plastidipping over it... flatblack is always a easy choice.

EDIT// its http://www.motorcyclehouse.com.au for the oz
                          Last edited by randysway223; 12-10-2013, 02:26 AM.

Comment

I'll do that tomorrow Will a matte/gloss black be sufficient or do I need a high heat resistant spray?

I live close but only had it three days, previous owner did not live near the ocean and it appears he left it in a garage... Hopefully Auffit is correct in it being a factory coating.
                            hi heat isnt necessary that silver isnt

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

One of my Oggie Knobs has faded and looks white in places. I've tried Mr Sheen and Armour All and even colouring it in with a thick black marker pen, but it goes back to Faded after a while. My baby is garaged, and covered.

If I have to replace it, can you buy just 1.??

TA
                              What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

Working...
                              X