exhaust deadening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust deadening

I'm after a product that I can spray or paint onto an exhaust that will deaden resonance...

I've built an exhaust for my bike. I'm pretty happy with it (It makes power compared to what I had) except it has what I would call resonance or reverberation? Sounds a bit funny when I give it a rev or hold it about 5-6 thou RPM on the road.

Anyhow, Ive been at google for about an hour looking for some product that I can coat the inside (most would put it on the outside, but I'm able to paint the inside) of the exhaust that would deaden the 1.6mm stainless that I made the exhaust out of, and be hight temp resistance.

Anyone got any ideas?

Never heard of a paint being capable of doing that, inside or out.

Have read of an old trick where you pack the insides with steel wool. Dunno if it works but. Maybe give it a try?
    It didn't look that far on the map...

Comment

pack more exhaust sounds deadening material in there. Packing it in looser or tighter will make the biggest difference.

Try packing the exhaust in diffrent way ie: wrap the centre core with the mateial or tear of pieces and stuff it down the sides tight.
      B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Would heat wrap help? tightly wrap that over almost the entire thing and should deaden it a bit (may impact the look depending on what type of exhaust your doing it to though if thats a problem

Comment

ok, so maybe a bit more info needed...
          At the moment I dont have any packing in there at all! kinda loudish, but its the reverb that bugs me mostly.

I'm no exhaust guru, but I dont want to put too much packing in there because I didn't want to restrict flow.
          Also, I dont want the packing to blow out... BUT, I did put a cover on it so that I can still do that and adjust if needed. Its just that some form of coating is what I wanted to try first.

If you look at the shape in the pic, the header is kinda like that inside (been chaged a few times to get scavenging effect), then there is 2 change of diections of the gas then out both sides.
          I maybe should have put a perferated skin on the inside when I made it but it was all too hard and it had been sitting on my bench for about 18 months, so I just wanted to finish it!

This is the almost finished product, before cleaning welds and ceramic coating.

Comment

so u have taken a stock exhaust chopped it up, added a big empty box to it with no muffler packing at all and are now concerned about the sounds??
            B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

what do you think the Quat D exhaust is? people pay big $ for that and it robs power!!

I made this so I could get that power back.. and it works! Now I'm just trying to tweek it!

If you havn't got anything positive to add, well dont!

Comment

where did u get the dimensions for ur muffler?, is there any internal baffles in the muffler, how does the the reducer pipe on the stock header effect the resonance of the pipe? how does the angle the 2 header pipes joing effect the exhaust pulse wave from the V-Twin?

Do think the big exhaust companies just stick together a heap of metal and flog it to the public? There is months mayb years of research, trial and error and completly scrapping designs before something is functional aswell as sounds good.

You say this has brought back the power you lost, i assume u'll be posting some back to back dyno sheets soon?

I offered you two very valid solutions to your problem but you seem to be fixed on some magic unicorn piss paint that is going to make a poorly designed DIY exhaust sound good.
                B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
                  where did u get the dimensions for ur muffler?, is there any internal baffles in the muffler, how does the the reducer pipe on the stock header effect the resonance of the pipe? how does the angle the 2 header pipes joing effect the exhaust pulse wave from the V-Twin?

Do think the big exhaust companies just stick together a heap of metal and flog it to the public? There is months mayb years of research, trial and error and completly scrapping designs before something is functional aswell as sounds good.

You say this has brought back the power you lost, i assume u'll be posting some back to back dyno sheets soon?

I offered you two very valid solutions to your problem but you seem to be fixed on some magic unicorn piss paint that is going to make a poorly designed DIY exhaust sound good.
                  Wow if only you knew who you talking to

Comment

Just thinking out loud but ceramic coating can change the flow of exhaust gases and the tone and may be enough, I wonder if there is a way of applying a thicker ceramic coating or a similar long life heat resistant product....
                    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

As I already said, I'm no guru! this stuff is trial and error!
                      -Also, as I've already said! the gas comes out the header, 2 changes of direction then out both sides. IE, no baffles!
                      -There is no reducer of the pipe, its been expanded for a slip joint.
                      -dont know, but I did test and it does scavenge!

Well yes! most of them do! there are only a few companies that do extensive testing. Acropovic for one..
                      Like I also said... the Quat D robs power, they flog it, people buy it!
                      And I made 4 designs of this before I got it (semi) right

Yep definately made more power than the quat D, and yes it will go on the dyno. doubt I will post them here tho!

I'm not fixated on anything!! Like I ALSO said this is the first thing I want to try. your the one that seems fixated!!
                      you offered solutions which I thank you for, but thats why I posted more info so that it could be see why that wouldn't be possible.

Again... if you dont have anything positive to add... dont

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Just thinking out loud but ceramic coating can change the flow of exhaust gases and the tone and may be enough, I wonder if there is a way of applying a thicker ceramic coating or a similar long life heat resistant product....
                        They've been ceramic coated coated inside and out, and I only just got off the phone to see what other coatings they have!

Comment

so someone takes the internet way to serious, and after I took his advise and stopped posting as I had nothing else to add it resulted in PM's trying to taunt me and then threats to make our pm's public if I didn't apologise for criticising him.
                          so....

Originally posted by monsta
                          so, nothing else to add to my thread? not even an apology...
                          just make you look like a dick!
                          Originally posted by Mr_Mike
                          I have nothing to apologise for. Have u bumped ur head or something? twice u said if I don't have anything positive to add don't post so I am not and now ur taunting me to continue posting.
                          I'll leave it at that or people get upset complain to mods and I get banned.

Of course I'm taunting you... just like you were taunting me on a public forum! (that's what you need to apologise for) At least I have the decency to do it via private message!
                          So, why does it take me to post stuff twice before you understand?

BTW, how many things have you made for your bike? or do you just bolt crap on that has been mass produced and think it makes your bike original! I do that shit ALL the time!

dick!

Originally posted by Mr_Mike
                          Fair enough my first opinion of you was someone tacking shit together with idea but that is obviously not the case what made me make this assumption was when u mentioned the annoying resonating sound but admitted to not having any baffling material in there something that would of helped the cause straight away.
                          thank you!
                          now, you made that first assumption via public forum, I think it only fair that you mention on the same public forum what you now think...
                          do you think it'll blow over?
                          fucken keyboard kockhead!

right ya wrongs (and do it proper) or I will post our private messages.
                          lets see how ya ego goes then...

Happy now? I aint got shit to hide and I wont be fucking threatened
                          B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

What a top shelf peanut

Comment

hmmm!
                              obviously this thread isn't about exhaust's anymore...
                              thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X