Did load resistors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did load resistors

I'm going to replace my fist sized indicators on my shadow with some kuryakyn bullets (LED) that have been sitting in a drawer for a year. Instead of waiting 2 weeks for a 30 buck kit to arrive I'm going to try make my own.
    I did a search on the forum and can't find anything about load resistors, so I'm wondering if anyone has done this?

After a bit of a google and a read I think I should be able to solder and heat shrink in a couple of 10w 10ohm resistors inline and everything should be fine.

Any thoughts? Just wait? Stop being a jew?
    Cheers

IMO don't use load resistors. One of the benefits of having LED lights is they use fuck all power, which is completely offset by those resistors. Hop on EBAY and find an electronic indicator relay that matches the type that is on your bike. It also gives you the benefit of being able to plug in your old indicators without having to change any of the wiring. My cheap arsed one that I'm going to use to test if the fitting is the right type is still coming from China

Comment

Its the waiting for delivery from China that's shits me.
      Ill have a look though. Sounds like a much better option, thanks mate.

Comment

25 Watt 6 Ohm in parallel if I remember correctly.

Comment

And about 30 cents too.

Comment

I went to the local JayCar for the resisitors but couldn't find the size I wanted. Ended up going to Malz (Supercheap, Repco also have them) and bought the (NARVA) load resistors in a double prepack. Not the cheapest option as I had to get 2 packs to cure the fast flash. From memory it was $20 a pack.
            The next time I do it, I think I will be looking up the correct flasher unit and go buy that.

Comment

There are Australian (and UK) sellers on ebay for the new relays, but they'll set you back 20-30 rather than <5 for the Chinese ones. If you have a common plug type it should be easy to get the right type, or you could just wire a standard type in if you feel like it.

Comment

Just organised some through bad penny customs who have them in stock in perth.
                Bloody legend.

Comment

All the local parts stores seem to stock non load sensitive flasher units. I think I got mine from Auto one.
                  Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentient View Post
                    I'm going to replace my fist sized indicators on my shadow with some kuryakyn bullets (LED) that have been sitting in a drawer for a year. Instead of waiting 2 weeks for a 30 buck kit to arrive I'm going to try make my own.
                    I did a search on the forum and can't find anything about load resistors, so I'm wondering if anyone has done this?

After a bit of a google and a read I think I should be able to solder and heat shrink in a couple of 10w 10ohm resistors inline and everything should be fine.

Any thoughts? Just wait? Stop being a jew?
                    Cheers
                    Resistors will need to be in parallel to the indicators, test the resistance of your current globes to get the correct ohms and check the wattage rating 5w might do it. Otherwise yes it will work.
                    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Stop being a Jew and wait, you've had a year you can wait to do it properly. What's the point to switching to LEDs only the chew the same amount of power.
                      In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Haha I have some being delivered on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
                          All the local parts stores seem to stock non load sensitive flasher units. I think I got mine from Auto one.
                          How many pins does yours have? I've just done the ring around for a 4 pin & no one has them.

Looks like its eBay time

Comment

Originally posted by Crobbo View Post
                            Stop being a Jew and wait, you've had a year you can wait to do it properly. What's the point to switching to LEDs only the chew the same amount of power.
                            Lol what? U think He's switching to led to save power?

Comment

Originally posted by Stavtech View Post
                              Lol what? U think He's switching to led to save power?
                              I'm switching to LED largely for the power savings, I have tail light globes etc on order to try out as well as indicators and the flasher relay. It may not not be a big saving, but what you reduce in load allows for adding accessories like spotlights to be added.
                              To me it also seems silly to put in resistors that waste power, rather than setting it up properly and also being able to switch to any indicator without needing to change the wiring.

Comment

Working...
                              X