Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New brake pads, chain and a radiator flush....what am I looking at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New brake pads, chain and a radiator flush....what am I looking at?

How much am I looking at for new brake pads, front and rear a new chain and radiator flush? It's a 2007 GPX250 . Any advice appreciated!

Don't forget the sprockets. Old sprockets will flog out a new chain

Comment

Originally posted by Ezza1989 View Post
      How much am I looking at for new brake pads, front and rear a new chain and radiator flush? It's a 2007 GPX250 . Any advice appreciated!
      do you like getting your hands dirty?
      The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

I would get my hands dirty, if I had any idea of what I was doing!

Comment

>> Do what most of us do and call a mechanic for quotes? ^_^

here are some numbers. I've used all of them and they are very good.

Motorcycle Masters (kewdale) 93535597

mobile mechanics;
          K-tec 0415 746 665

Derek Ball - 0438 926 511

Comment

brake pads are very easy.
            your chain, I guess that depends if it has a rivet link or not.
            if you have one of these on your chain, it would be easy as pie.

they are not ideal (although far more than adequate) for high powered sports bikes, but absolutely fine for the vast majority of bikes.

as for the fluid, well, anyone can change that, but there may be more to 'flushing' the system than that (I wont be doing the coolant in my car for that reason)

you may not know much now, but these sort of things can save you HUGE amounts of money over the years. so if you're the type, and have some basic tools, have a crack at it.

this was just the first video I click on. there may be better, but it gives you and idea of how easy it can be

How to install brake pads on a motorcycle part 1 - YouTube
            The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

$60x2 EBC brake pads,
              $12 brake fluid,
              $44 Front sprocket,
              $55 Rear sprocket,
              $75-$110 O ring chain.
              $25 Coolant & distilled Water.

Labour (2-3hrs) + sundries- One billion dollarrrrrz.

Welcome to motorcycles

Comment

Ebay brake pads are only 10-15 bucks
                Most parts should match up to a Ninja 250 so it's always worth checking what matches.
                It's worth contacting this mob for parts https://www.slipstreamperformance.co...tore/index.php eBay My World - slipstream_performance The do Oring chain and sprocket sets for pretty good prices, not sure if I'd go with brakes from them though.
                Tsubaki in welshpool are also widely recommended for chains.
                Most of the rest you can pick up from a auto shop. Pick up some tools from Bunnings or similar and get cracking

http://www.manualedereparatie.info/m...ratie.info.zip
                Last edited by AliastheJester; 29-10-2013, 07:30 PM.

Comment

i have no idea but i just wanted to boost my post tally

Comment

When was the last time this bike was serviced?

Who has said that all of these things need changing?

How many kms on the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
                      When was the last time this bike was serviced?

Who has said that all of these things need changing?

How many kms on the bike?
                      Maybe the same person who said she should get her bike lowered

Comment

It's last service was a year ago or so I'm told... My roommate looked at it for me. I noticed on the last ride some grinding and he had a look and showed me that the pads are completely worn away. The back ones will need replacing soon too. He said the chain was loose but I might be able to fix it but pulling the wheel back. He's been riding two years and while I don't trust he knows everything I trust his opinion... But if anyone wants to come look at the bike and tell me how fucked/not fucked it is Theres free beer in it for you :p

It's done 272599

and no, my roommate wasn't the person who told me to get it lowered :p

Comment

Depending on how well the chain's been looked after it will need changing now or soon... As said before, if it's only one with a clip link it's easy. - sprockets are fairly easy, too - you will need a stand though to get the rear wheel of the ground. Brake pads and fluid I'm confident at doing, too. Just unsure about the coolant flush. You may also consider an oil & filter change and look at your airfilter, when you're already at it. (+ whatever else the service book recommends...) I'm happy to help - send a PM if interested. (I'm in Bentley though).

Comment

If I could stop in one afternoon on the way home and bring you up here we can look at it, show you how to change the brake pads, doubt you'll need the rear doing though, have only changed out 1 rear set in over 80,000kms on the thou.

Have the bike show all weekend, but can arrange for something next week/weekend, when's pay day? Lay aside $100 for the brake pads from a dealer or get some HH off the net.

The last service should have been a major one at 24,000, which would mean the next one (minor, oil change and a general look over) would be due at 30,000kms, we usually give any second hand bikes we get an oil change and a good once over, but still stay with the service intervals.

Still really can't see the brake pads needing doing after only 27,00kms though??

Comment

That would be good Stoneville since you are close by. Pay comes in Wednesday night so I could buy them Thursday after work. The front ones are apparently completely worn away :s

Also thanks Robbo85 for your offer too

Comment

Working...
                              X