Aftermath of brake failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermath of brake failure

After bringing my car beyond what it had been designed for brake wise on the weekend with brakes failing completely I wonder now, why I had the reservoir spilling over and air in the system once the brakes had cooled down again. Only had the brakes flushed with fresh DOT 4 too. The front discs were the ones that had gotten hot. The rear drums were acceptable.
    My limited understanding suggests there should have been water vapor bubbles. But don´t they collapse back to water and get nicely mixed up again and the brakes are just fine afterwards again? Or does fresh brake fluid cook to something else that does not go into its original state and therefor bleeding was necessary?
    Last edited by ripper1199; 29-10-2013, 06:58 PM.

Who did the brake flush? Sounds like a proper job NOT.

Comment

Sounds like you got billed for a flush and one wasn't done.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Nah I attended the flushing and it was a job well done. Too much bad experience in the past so I insist on watching. If they are not cool with that, I am not interested either. Race track and the tenth time slowing from 120 to 50 with smoking pads and all that will do that to a women´s car. DOT 4 is only the lowest temperature stuff too. So it was not unexpected.
        But when ever I had brakes failing I did not have to bleed the brakes again and that made me wonder.

Comment

There is no such thing as water mixing nicely with brake fluid... water is brake fluid's worst enemy... so much in fact I don't even bleed my lines on a rainy or humid day.

also more reading here;

Brake Fluid

Since brake fluid is hydroscopic it will draw moisture into itself from the atmosphere, one of the reason they always tell you to use fluid from a sealed container, what typically happens is that it is the absorbed water that boils at a much lower temperature than the fluid... then you no longer have brakes.
          Last edited by TurboR1; 29-10-2013, 07:43 PM.
          Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
            There is no such thing as water mixing nicely with brake fluid... water is brake fluid's worst enemy... so much in fact I don't even bleed my lines on a rainy or humid day.

also more reading here;

Brake Fluid

Since brake fluid is hydroscopic it will draw moisture into itself from the atmosphere, one of the reason they always tell you to use fluid from a sealed container, what typically happens is that it is the absorbed water that boils at a much lower temperature than the fluid... then you no longer have brakes.
            Hygroscopic
            -

Comment

WTR1S brake fluid is intended to absorb water to keep from rusting lines out or droplets forming that reduce efficiency, a saturated solution still has a higher boiling point than a water droplet on its own within the line.

Once evaporation temp is reached the water or water/brake fluid solution turns to gas and a bubble is formed, the only way for that bubble to reabsorb into the fluid is pressure to compress it, if you pumped your brakes enough times the bubbles would all but disappear, but they would reform just as quickly under working conditions again.

Maybe try some super DOT4 or DOT5.1 fluid for the higher boiling points, even the act of heating and cooling between brake points can increase the moisture absorption as it's not a sealed system, the higher the "wet" boiling point the greater the punishment your brakes will take before a repeat performance.
              Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

You can flush brake yourself easily enough. It's even a one-person job that you can do at home if you get some speed bleeders.

Brake fluid tester: Australian Ford Forums

Speed bleeders and brake fluid flushing: Australian Ford Forums

For brake fluid, I use PBR Super Dot 4. I get it cheaper from (speak to John):

MTQ Engine Systems (Aust) Pty Ltd
                63 Beringarra Ave
                Malaga WA 6090
                (08) 9203 1000

What car do you have? What brake pads are you using?

I use Hawk Performance ceramic pads. They're not cheap, but I can belt the crap out of them and they handle the heat.

Hawk Performance Brake Pads: Race Proven, Street Legal
                Last edited by Phildo; 29-10-2013, 08:10 PM.
                One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by agrid View Post
                  Hygroscopic
                  Dammit. Must proof read better. Quite right ^^^WHS
                  Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
                    Dammit. Must proof read better. Quite right ^^^WHS
                    Another quirk of our dumbarse language. I bet the Germans wouldn't do something like that.
                    -

Comment

I bet the Germans wouldn't do something like that.
                      I am ashamed.... "hygroskopisch"

Comment

Ha! I looked too. I thought they would have Hurbengurbenschtinkenschtonkengurblemeister for "fluid that readily attracts water from the atmosphere".
                        -

Comment

Another quirk of our dumbarse language. I bet the Germans wouldn't do something like that.
                          English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages into dark alleys, beats them up for their words and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

—Raina Bird

Mistakes like that are just a case of borrowing from different languages at different times.

Comment

Working...
                          X