250 Ninja fuel tank noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 Ninja fuel tank noise

Hi any info appreciated on a weird high pitched whistle that the tank makes when stationary running or not. It is more prevelant now it's hot as I assume more pressure from the heat.
    It's bloody annoying and was wondering is it a common fault?
    Any ideas on how to fix?

Pressure escaping from your petrol tank. Either loosen the cap for a sec and ignore.
    It's not uncommon and not a problem.

Comment

i have heard that pressure builds up in the tank and the whistling sound you hear is the tank releasing the pressure from the fuel.... i think they have a small valve or something on them.....

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
      Pressure escaping from your petrol tank. Either loosen the cap for a sec and ignore.
      It's not uncommon and not a problem.
      haha.... i got it right we both must have been typing at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by trina1 View Post
        i have heard that pressure builds up in the tank and the whistling sound you hear is the tank releasing the pressure from the fuel.... i think they have a small valve or something on them.....

- - - Updated - - -

haha.... i got it right we both must have been typing at the same time
        One does not get it right and type in sequence with thy [MENTION=7104]Desmo[/MENTION]
        2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
        2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
        2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
        2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
        2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
        2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

The one I know groans all day and night. Sounds like mating calls of frogs.
          Was eventually going to check if a breather was blocked or some insect had decided to build a nest in the overflow tube.

Comment

haha, ive had two or three of those in the workshop at times.

the place sounds haunted

its a "normal" sound for them

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMeanie View Post
              The one I know groans all day and night. Sounds like mating calls of frogs.
              Yup - mine does that, sounds like a softly snoring donkey braying quietly to itself. Very odd.

Comment

My old Ninja had it, from new!
                Heard it the first day I took it home, still made the sound the day I sold it.

You'll find it happens more if its parked outside in the sun.
                Obviously sun heating the tank, more vapour / pressure to release.

Its normal and becomes somewhat comforting after a while!

Comment

Kawasaki whistle...

They've been doing it for decades...

Comment

There's a write up on the ninja forum for how to drill out the relief hole to make it slightly larger.
                    Or just open the lid and close it again to get a few hours quiet.
                    I think about sex every tits seconds.

Comment

I liked it when I had my ninja. Like a cat meowing.

Funnily enough it used to do it as I got near. Any excuse to ride is a good excuse.

Comment

Normal. It's a Kawa thing. Did it on my 08 250 and my 10 zx6r.
                        Going fast is not a problem, it's the sudden stopping that hurts a lot...

Comment

Ok guys thanks for all the replies I didn't realise it was so common.
                          Ha it would be funny with 3 going at once as potato said!

Comment

It's just your bike saying "Ride me"
                            Don't even think about it. You know who you are.

Comment

All kawasakis I've seen do it.
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X