R1 oil cooler options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 oil cooler options?

I have a theory that both my Gixxers ran cooler in traffic than my R1 ever has due to the fact that they had an oil cooler, from factory. As oil tends to run hotter than water, it has a higher temperature difference in the radiator/cooler compared to the atmosphere and can bleed off heat more efficiently.

That has made me think that an oil cooler on the R1 would work well.

I've managed to find an adaptor for an oil cooler (Gyrodynamics Products) but haven't found much in the way of actual oil coolers or hoses, brackets, etc. I was thinking that maybe an old Gixxer oil cooler would suffice?

Has anyone had any experience in this area before?
    2006 Yamaha R1SP;
    In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
    Amen, brother. Amen.
    My nemesis; Barfridge

R1 does have a oil cooler from factory its next to the oil filter, best is to change coolant to tectaloy performance 100 or stop riding so slow
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Ouch.

So the round metal thingy is the cooler? I could swap that out to a radiator-style cooler, then.
      2006 Yamaha R1SP;
      In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
      Amen, brother. Amen.
      My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

It's a water cooled oil cooler on the R1...

The GSX is an air cooled one, as you know...

It would be possible to convert, but you are going to need custom parts...

- - - Updated - - -

And for what gain?

Comment

Cooler running temperature, of course. It's an attempt at running cooler on warm days, in traffic.

I'm also looking at a supplementary radiator that sits in the space under the factory one. That might do the job but I'd also like to see what difference an air-cooled oil cooler makes.
          2006 Yamaha R1SP;
          Amen, brother. Amen.
          My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

What about a fan switch to manually turn the fan on?

- - - Updated - - -

You can't actually make it run cooler, in a sense the amount of heat it makes, is what it makes...

What you are trying to do is remove that heat...

Turning the fan on at a lower temperature achieves that...

- - - Updated - - -

It is only beneficial when the bike is stationary, but that is when it isn't getting rid of the heat due to no air movement through the radiator...

Comment

You wouldn't like a crossplane r1 they get hotter way quicker, change the coolant otherwise fan switch is the way to go.

Also good idea to get aftermarket ypipe so you don't have your leg roasted.

Comment

Was out riding with TurboR1 today and the 50km/h section along the coast to Hillarys had it sitting anywhere from 95-105, almost constantly running the thermo-fan. My Gixxer was never like that. Increasing the amount of heat that the engine can lose, with a larger radiator or oil cooler, should help with lowering temperatures.

FWIW, the exhaust is a Ti race Akrapovic (with Y pipe) and it's been ceramic coated, inside and out. That should serve to keep the heat from the radiator a little.
                2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                Amen, brother. Amen.
                My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

My gsxr runs at those temperature's on that road in the middle of winter.
                  The R1 runs warmer normally.

Comment

surely a full sized sbk spec radiator would be the go?
                    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

And the $$$$ for that???
                      2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                      Amen, brother. Amen.
                      My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

[MENTION=5183]TurboR1[/MENTION] went looking for one for his zx I think.
                        The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Around about 3.5K for a WSBK Race Radiator. About $800 for a supplementary radiator.

and unless you have the EvoII spec Akrapovic, you won't fit either in, as the header pipe layout is modified to fit the additional radiator in.
                          Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

H2O RACING RADIATOR : Sub radiator [W-1638-025]

or

H2O RACING RADIATOR : SBK racing Radiator [W-1638-026]

I'd go the second option... but shop around, as I've seen them for less.

Oh and get the stainless fan blades while your at it.
                            Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

You can modify your oem radiator so its cross flow.
                              Cross Flow Radiator Mod - How to? - Page 3 : Yamaha R1 Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X