Painting fairings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting fairings

I want to repaint the fiberglass fairings on my track bike. Was thinking of doing it myself using spray cans. I have seen some spray can jobs at the track and they look fine. My questions are what kind of paint should i use - primer and topcoats and if anyone has any other tips before I start sanding, would be much appreciated

I have done this and it turns out being both relatively expensive and looking rather crap. 2-3 cans of primer at a minimum, 5-6 cans of paint, and 5-6 cans of clear coat would be needed for a good job. The problem is that the cans can get a bot gluggy, and the nozzles get blocked etc and then you end up with paint runs and splatter marks etc. All up you are looing at a minimum of 12 cans at $10+ each to do an average job.

If you have an air compressor - get a paint gun and proper paints etc for it, IMO could be a bit cheaper than the above and the results will be better.

I have a new set of fairings that I am preparing at the moment - I have bought -
    AutoOne primer -$10 (on special - usually $20)
    2x 1L thinners - $10ea (on special - usually $15)
    1x 1L motorspray 'Jet black' - $35
    Custom mixed Kwaka ZX-10 Green which was $45ish per L.

I also bought a 750ml Paint gun from Masters for $20 which is doing a good job so far. Hopefully it is all painted by next weekend and I can show you the results.

Comment

FWIW - the fairings I have received (they were free / came with my bike - 10 months later....) are pretty rubbish - I have sanded out most of the paint runs but there are some stone chip marks still there - I am sure both the OP and myself could do with some tips on the best way to fill these in if anyone can elaborate? is it just body filler in all those tiny holes?

Comment

Fully recommend compressor and gun, only issue is setting up gun. Did a car bonnet once and made a hell of a mess until the painted at work set up the gun for me, smooth sailing from there on. Bit of sanding and clear coat and it had a mirror finish.

Comment

Bah, just use a brush and cheap acrylic enamel from Supercheap. Couple coats of filling primer, couple coats of colour, quick sand between each coat then two or three coats of clear. Sand after each clear coat to get a smooth finish, leave it to dry a couple days then go in hard with the polish to get that candy shine.

Make sure it's a fine/soft bristled brush though or you'll notice the brush marks.

Trust me m8, the pro painters only use compressors because they like waving their dicks guns about and spraying everything, and racks of fancy looking paint tins in the shop help them charge you more. They could do it quicker and cheaper with a brush and sand paper but you're paying for it and it's more fun with air.
          "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
            Bah, just use a brush and cheap acrylic enamel from Supercheap. Couple coats of filling primer, couple coats of colour, quick sand between each coat then two or three coats of clear. Sand after each clear coat to get a smooth finish, leave it to dry a couple days then go in hard with the polish to get that candy shine.

Make sure it's a fine/soft bristled brush though or you'll notice the brush marks.

Trust me m8, the pro painters only use compressors because they like waving their dicks guns about and spraying everything, and racks of fancy looking paint tins in the shop help them charge you more. They could do it quicker and cheaper with a brush and sand paper but you're paying for it and it's more fun with air.
            ok wanker

op and o_i_f you should be able to get a small tube of glazing putty from your local paint supplier [ for chips]

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

4 cans of Plastidip from your local AutoPro. No need to sand, primer or anything. And you can change your bike colour whenever you feel like it. Just peel off and spray it on.
              If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post

^^^ BTW just in case there's any doubt, if you believe this then you deserve the finish you'll get. Paintwork is good looking, quick or cheap: choose any one of those three.

[MENTION=8418]potato[/MENTION]
                "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Just got back to this, thanks all, alright spray cans are not popular. OIF I am away at work at be mo but will try to catch you at the track, maybe next trakdayz - I have a blue/white/red daytona in gr3. Sounds like more research needed

Comment

just what ever you do, you do not, repeat not spray line marking paint and then clear coat that.

Seen the results, looked awesome, till he crashed and got powder all over the track

Comment

Working...
                    X