Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 with Mods - best place to pass pits :-/

Hi,
    I’ve just imported my Yamaha R1 5VY (2004 plate). I need to get this bike registered and I’m clear on the process to do this.
    But dare I ask, is there a preferred pits location for bikes with modifications, or am I dreaming and going to have to invest in the standard parts?
    Mods include:
    GP exhaust (which I can quiet down with custom baffles)
    Power Commander (can be unplugged)
    Pazzo levers
    Braided hoses
    LED rear light and indicators all round
    Carbon fenders
    Carbon under tray
    Carbon trims
    Rear sets
    Black screen
    R&G crash bungs

Cheers!

Sadly you won't know which ones they may reject you for until you go across the pits. They will almost definitely check noise... They may also reject you for LED Indicators and lights. The remainder are a lot less likely. Makes sure your brake light comes on with your aftermarket rearsets, as this is one they will reject you for.
    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

are you North or South of the river?
      Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Originally posted by BlackFZR View Post
        Sadly you won't know which ones they may reject you for until you go across the pits. They will almost definitely check noise... They may also reject you for LED Indicators and lights. The remainder are a lot less likely. Makes sure your brake light comes on with your aftermarket rearsets, as this is one they will reject you for.
        Ok thanks... The rearsets are professionally fitted and work with the rear light
        Headlights are still standard, I thought LED indicators and such like were ok...? At least you see newer bikes/cars with them… so I assume

- - - Updated - - -

I'm North, near Northbridge

Comment

Originally posted by J-P ROCK View Post
          I thought LED indicators and such like were ok...?
          They need to be E marked (E-11?) and above a certain size IIRC. Though even that won't guarantee they will accept them.

Comment

also they "may" pick you up for the dark screen. Its a stupid law but technically the screen on a bike is a windscreen and your not allowed to have the front screen on any vehicle tinted. You might get pinged for it if the inspector is having a bad day but then again you may b fine. Me personally i like to put as much as i can back to stock just to reduce the possibility of being failed for something simple.

Maybe look at some of the private garage inspection places, i have been hearing a few of them are pretty laid back in what they check. SO long as the vehicle is neat and roadworthy they are a bit more lenient on mods.
            B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
              also they "may" pick you up for the dark screen. Its a stupid law but technically the screen on a bike is a windscreen and your not allowed to have the front screen on any vehicle tinted. You might get pinged for it if the inspector is having a bad day but then again you may b fine. Me personally i like to put as much as i can back to stock just to reduce the possibility of being failed for something simple.

Maybe look at some of the private garage inspection places, i have been hearing a few of them are pretty laid back in what they check. SO long as the vehicle is neat and roadworthy they are a bit more lenient on mods.

Ok, that's interesting, private inspection places... please tell more?

Comment

Note: My R1, despite being nearly 10 years old, is in great mechanical condition... so that must help.... maybe

Comment

It is a nice bike for sure,

but you will need an original number plate holder and possibly an original screen

Comment

Definitely the screen and they will check noise. Indicators probably too. You'll need something when the plate is to make it meet the 45 degree rule.

I have taken a few bikes over the pits now. I found the best guys to deal with is midland (also have taken dozens of cars too for my old man). Don’t act like your Valentino, don't dob on yourself, be polite and helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentient View Post
                      Definitely the screen and they will check noise. Indicators probably too. You'll need something when the plate is to make it meet the 45 degree rule.

I have taken a few bikes over the pits now. I found the best guys to deal with is midland (also have taken dozens of cars too for my old man). Don’t act like your Valentino, don't dob on yourself, be polite and helpful.
                      Ok, more good advice, so thanks. I'll look in to stock screens. I have bought a tail tidy with new indicators, I'll check the angle, to see if it's in or not.

What about the exhaust?... Are they primarily fussed about the noise (96dB limit)? Or being non standard is an auto fail?

Comment

Originally posted by J-P ROCK View Post
                        Ok, more good advice, so thanks. I'll look in to stock screens. I have bought a tail tidy with new indicators, I'll check the angle, to see if it's in or not.

What about the exhaust?... Are they primarily fussed about the noise (96dB limit)? Or being non standard is an auto fail?
                        exhaust depends on the inspector to som degree. If its pretty quite it should pass, if you get a decent inspector.

Pu a wanted add in the the forsale section for a standard screen and you should get one.

Comment

When he says angle he means if you drew an imaginary line backwards at 45deg from the centre of the rear axle the rear mudguard should come down far enough to meet that line.
                          B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

oh......."From close of business on Friday 29 November 2013 vehicle examinations will no longer be available at the Midland Vehicle Examination Centre"

Comment

Ahhh crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X