Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle wheel machining / repairs

Hi guys and gals,

I am putting a Ducati 900ss rear end on my electric race bike but decided to upgrade the axle from 17 mm to 20 mm. This is all good, until I go to source bearings for it. Turns out no bearing manufacturer makes 20 mm ID 40 mm OD x 12 bearings. The only 20 mm ID bearing on offer is a 42 mm OD.

So that leaves me with no option but to get my wheel into a lathe and turn the outer race receptacle out to 42 mm from the 40 mm it currently sits at.

Does anyone know a machining shop in Perth who would be able to put my wheel in a giant lathe?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

You sure they do a 20mm rear axle? I thought they went straight from 17 to 25 on the rear? The front went 17 -> 20 -> 25. Do a search on the Ducati forums, they've been over it that many times you'll find it in there somewhere.

Comment

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer. I have a 20 mm axle made up to suit the swingarm, which has also been machined out to 20 mm. So I'm kind of stuck with 20 mm now. The 900ss wheel from Brembo is more or less the only rear wheel to fit inside the swingarm too.

Cheers,
      Chris

Comment

What is the bearing bore casting OD ?
        will there be enough thickness left to support the loads implied ?
        I ask because most wheels I've seen Dont have a huge amount of material around the bearing
        It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

It's huge - there's plenty of meat left in there. I do have a picture somewhere... I'll try to post it up tomorrow.

Comment

Found a firm in Malaga who'll do it for under $100. Sold

Comment

I ask because most wheels I've seen Dont have a huge amount of material around the bearing

Comment

Working...
              X