Annatori RL Quickshifter- First impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annatori RL Quickshifter- First impressions

Been wanting a quick shifter for a long time, probably 80% wank factor 20% function. Anyway after lots of research and reading peoples opinions and on different bike forums i settled on the Annatori RL made by HM.
    HM supply quick shifters to Moto3 as well as British and AMA super bike teams so i figured they have a pretty decent pedigree. And the Annatori is a basic version of the HM using the same strain type sensor but without the complex "kill time" and "gear selection" adjustment. Plus is half the price of a HM unit. Another advantage of the HM sensor is it can run either regular of GP shift and as i have SATO rear sets and was wanting to give GP shift a try this was an advantage straight out as i could swap back if i didn't like it.
    I bought from an Aussie seller on Ebay for $360 including shift rod on Monday night and the unit arrived Thursday afternoon WITH A FREE PEN!!!!

Installation was very straight forward although be it somewhat fiddly getting access to the R1's coil plugs. The unit is supplied with a loom that plugs in between the factory loom and the coils, a plug that goes to the sensor and an earth wire. I found the plus that go to the coils to be a bit stiff and it did take a bit of force to get them to "snap" on properly. The loom is long enough that i could locate the control unit up under the pillion seat.

Fitting the strain sensor is very easy as it just screws inline on the shift rod. Just need to allow enough slack in the wire running to it so that it doesn't snag or pull tight thru the motion of the shifter.
    Set up is again very easy as there is only one button on the control unit, hold this down and turn on the ignition as the last of the 3 LEDs goes out release the button. One of 3 LEDs will now flash green, yellow or red this is the sensitivity setting low, medium, high respectively. I set mine to red straight way.

Having only ridden the bike the 20min journey to work this morning i can safely say i love this quick shifter and GP shift. 1st to 2nd is still fairly notchy but that's understandable but 2nd to 6th is smooth as in the upper end of the rev range and you quickly find yourself in the 200+ zone.

Now for the negatives, unlike the Dynojet QS you can not program the RL to only work above certain revs ie: 5000rpm + meaning when cruising thru traffic at low speeds the gear changes are very clunky even using the clutch this is also caused by the 2nd negative issue. Because the RL works in both a push and pull set up it also cuts the spark on down shifts meaning you have to blip the throttle to keep everything smooth even at low speeds. Also effects you when short shifting as at low revs the spark cut still causes to revs to fall quickly meaning your shift at 3000rpm becomes a shift at 2000rpm by the time u release the clutch and again makes the bike very jerky.

But on a whole i am very happy with the unit and when used as its designed to (throttle pinned) it works exceptionally well.
    B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
    I bought from an Aussie seller on Ebay for $360 including shift rod on Monday night and the unit arrived Thursday afternoon WITH A FREE PEN!!!!

Kaneg ?

Much love for QS im not sure about hm but with bazzaz etc you can adjust the time of ignition cut between gears so you adjust 1st to 2nd out abit so its a bit smoother
    2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
    2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
    2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
    2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
    2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
    2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

nah superbikesource
      B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Really? When I do use the clutch I do notice the ignition cut but haven't noticed any differance to the resulting shift. I am slack however and don't rev match on downshifts and just go gentle out on the clutch and let the slipper do its thing.

Does give plenty of

Oh yea it's been a while since I read the blurb but pretty sure below 4k revs it doesn't activate but who is ever there anyway?
        The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Comment

I put one on my track R1. Struggled with false shifts and can't work out why. Went through the whole damn troubleshooting list too. Took the bugger off again. Pity because it is awesome when it works.
          I live with fear everyday, but sometimes, she lets me race!

Comment

Well went out on a friendly noob ride tonight and got to test it out better. Still very happy with the unit no false shifts only issue was a couple times ant the wrong way thru the gears but that was due to changing shift direction and nothin to do with the QS
            B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by Scorcher View Post
              I put one on my track R1. Struggled with false shifts and can't work out why. Went through the whole damn troubleshooting list too. Took the bugger off again. Pity because it is awesome when it works.
              Is easy to get a false shift if you only just touch it. Still need to give it a positive shove so it goes in before the cut ends. Don't need to be brutal but do need to be positive about it.
              The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Comment

Only problem I've found with mine is shifting into 6th at high rev range or shifting when coming outta the basin at barbs on a lean
                Mines set at 4000rpm or above and runs from the ecu so only needed the one wire rather than one to each coil.
                Originally posted by Canada
                Even if I was interested in vagina I'd probably be looking for something a little bit stronger... I don't go for sissies

Comment

Working...
                X