Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoei GT-Air review

So, I've done about 900km with the GT-Air now and here are my thoughts

• Noise: very quiet compared to everything else I've used. Previous helmets include Shoei X11, Shoei XR1000, OGK Aeroblade 2 (and a couple of cheap shitty helmets I have intentionally forgotten about). There is still wind noise, but it is a lower pitch rumble. I ride with ear-plugs everywhere, but even so it is still noticeably quieter.
    • Weight: Comparable to the XR1000. Not the lightest helmet out there but certainly very acceptable
    • Fit: I have a shoei shaped head, and this fit me perfectly. Sizing is consistent with the XR1000 and X11. It is a little tighter to get over your head than the XR1000 or X11, but this is due to the neck-roll which helps reduce the wind noise. Once on your head, the fit is consistent with other Shoei helmets.
    • Ventilation: Certainly less than the XR1000. Most of the venting is on the top of your head. You have the chin-bar vent, but you do notice the brow is a little less cool than other helmets. I guess with the retractable shield sliding away into that area, its a trade off that had to be made
    • Sun-shield/visor: Excellent. As with all Shoei shields, the optics are excellent (crystal clear, no distortion) and it does an excellent job of reducing glare. If you've only used cheap helmets before this really is one of those "you get what you pay for" things. When I got my first Shoei I was immediately impressed with just how clear the shield was, and this helmet is no different. With both shields down, its like you're just wearing a really nice pair of sunnies. The visor retention mechanism has been updated since my older Shoei helmets - it is now self-adjusting, and as it closes, contains springs to pull it towards the helmet for a better seal. the rubber seal is also double-sealed to make sure there's no gaps. It seals very well.
    • Comfort: Again, this is one of those things you pay for. The liner is very comfortable and has a feeling of quality like other Shoei helmets.
    • Aerodynamics: This is my one slight disappointment. At speed, the helmet does tend to catch the wind a bit more than the X11/XR1000. You definitely notice it. I guess I've been spoiled with race-style helmet aerodynamics so if your prior helmet history is different maybe it is great, but that's all I've used previously. I'm sure I'll get used to it - but you definitely notice that it is a less aerodynamic helmet than the X11/XR1000 when head checking, for example, or when riding in turbulence.
    • Other stuff: visor is pinlock insert ready, and comes with a pinlock insert (anti-fog). However, the shield is unique to this helmet and the Neotec. No iridium shields, no smoke. You're limited to the internal sun-shade or pinlock inserts for any tinting. Not a deal breaker, with the internal shield down the shield looks kinda blacked out like smoke anyway. But if you love your iridium, this is not the helmet for you.

Overall

Pretty happy with it. The internal sun-shield is a real winner, and the noise is quite low compared to other helmets I have had.

However - rumor has it that Shoei are doing a transitions visor (like Bell) for the XR1200 (anyone know more?), which will basically give you the sun-shield without visor change on a race-style helmet (thus, with race style aero and venting). For me this is a big win, because often when I'm riding to work the only thing I have in my backpack is a clear shield in case I stay out after dark. With the GT-Air, I no longer need a backpack...

Not sure how the XR1200 will go for noise though.

Would I buy again? At this stage, yes. But if the XR1200 has a transitions shield and is reasonably quiet, I'll definitely be checking it out - the big attraction being the aerodynamics.
    Last edited by thro; 06-01-2014, 01:13 PM.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

I would have thought the ventilation would have been better? That's the main reason I bought the bell star.

Comment

Originally posted by HAGG!S View Post
      I would have thought the ventilation would have been better? That's the main reason I bought the bell star.
      The ventilation is decent, but due to the internal sun-shade, they can't have any brow vents... because the sun-shade retracts into that area (and thus, any air vents there would be blocked by it).

Bear in mind my immediate previous helmet is a Shoei X11, which was one of the highest-flowing helmets on the market, until replaced by the X12, so take the airflow comments with a pinch of salt. it is by no means "bad".

edit:
      I was also looking at the Bell Star or RS1, but they're nowhere near as quiet, and I was after something quieter than my X11/XR1000. I do 600km/week commuting to work and back, and my hearing is taking a beating, even with plugs. Going to go looking for better earplugs next.
      Last edited by thro; 06-01-2014, 01:16 PM.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I have to agree with everything said by thro. I have just done a 1200km road trip from perth to albany via bunbury over 4 days and must say was very impressed with the helmet for wind noise and comfort etc. Was using ear plugs as well and made it very bearable. Even managed to tuck my headphones inside the helmet near the ears and could hear the music over the low wind rumble. As for ventilation, going from my previous $100 RJays to the GT Air, the airflow is tops, with noticeable movement across the crown and up the face. Does bring a little bit of noise into the helmet but that is to be expected when going 110ish. On a few higher speed runs it was very stable and wind noise didnt increase much beyond 110 into the higher numbers

Comment

Good write up, it'd be nice to see more of this type of post on PSB.
          Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
          1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

This is on my list for a possible new helmet later in the year, love the sun shade
            Originally posted by CBRsairz
            assume nothing Macca, I've totally been cockblocked before :spiteful:

Comment

I've done about 2500km with one and found it great. Quiet enough to happily lesson to music and take calls with the Sena. Would like a little more air flow on the brow but as mentioned thats a trade off with the sun-sheild which I wouldn't do without now.
              life's short, play hard.

Comment

Oh one other thing.

It isn't Snell 2010 rated. it does comply with the Australian standard.

Speculation is that shoei did not submit it for Snell rating because they wanted to differentiate between it and their race helmets. But that's all it is, speculation - no one knows - maybe it isn't quite as sturdy when subjected to multiple impacts as the X11/X12/XR1100/XR1200.

So, if you're looking for a track helmet, you'll want an X or XR series helmet just to be sure (I'm keeping my X11 for that). If you're doing track I'd suggest one of those in any case simply due to the better aerodynamics at high speed, physically smaller size/lower weight and better airflow, but as a road helmet I'm pretty comfortable trusting it.

Comment

Gonna vouch for Shoei visors.

The first time I hit the track with a new, non tinted visor, I left the pits, and tried to close the visor when exiting turn 1.... It was already closed
                  The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

^^^ haha I did the same thing with my GT-Air recently. The internal sunshade was down, went to close the clear face-shield... already down

Whether or not other visors are or not I'm not sure, but apparently the shoei visors are guaranteed to be 100% optically correct. Either way, it was definitely something I noticed way back when I got my first one, and again with the new visor on this one

Originally posted by Loud View Post
                    Good write up, it'd be nice to see more of this type of post on PSB.
                    Yeah, i'd like to see more - especially on helmets. They're one of those items that you really can't try before you buy.

Sure, you can get a trial fitment, but you can't ride in it before hand, so things like noise, aerodynamics, fog, airflow, etc. are all a bit of a crap-shoot.

I did actually want to try an Arai when i went helmet shopping this time around but my head simply isn't Arai shape it would appear - i've tried a couple over the years and they weren't quite right, and they weren't this time either...
                    Last edited by thro; 06-01-2014, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Grave robbing this thread....

Have a shoei air gt. Have a whistling from left hand side. My impression is the visor switch but may be mistaken.

Any ideas - have put up with it so far but about to embark on a 2000km trip so wanna tie up some loose ends....
                      "Redlines are merely suggestions"
                      "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

Originally posted by Supercharged1600 View Post
                        Grave robbing this thread....

Have a shoei air gt. Have a whistling from left hand side. My impression is the visor switch but may be mistaken.

Any ideas - have put up with it so far but about to embark on a 2000km trip so wanna tie up some loose ends....
                        Mine used to do that if the pin lock visor wasn't positioned exactly right
                        www.brandsense.com.au
                        sigpic

Comment

Shoei GT-Air review

I've had the GT Air for over a year, the first Shoei I've owned.
                          Definitely a quality helmet, the internal visor is great especially when I head out on a sunny day and home at night.
                          The Shoei doesn't fit well with the shape of my head.
                          It also lacks airflow, I didn't realise that is likely due to the internal visor until I read the above posts. It's ok at highway speed, but lower speed on a hot day cooks my head.
                          Also found the visor fogs up easily, even with pinlock at low speed. Also found it took a while to get used to pinlock visor, with light reflection in peripheral vision.

Comment

Wear a plug in your left ear.
                            Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                            1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Working...
                            X