Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

96 GSXr 750 srad - Not starting... Help welcome. ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 GSXr 750 srad - Not starting... Help welcome. ;)

So I was in the shed all night tonight putting together the GSXr 750 I picked up during the week. It has had a reconditioned Carby bought from a local mc place fitted, and other work done to it. Then it came into my hands almost finished but tank still off etc and no fuel been run through it and hadnt been started for a long time. Its also had a new fuel pump put in.

My first attemp at assembly, missed plugging in the TPS Wiring Connector... I didnt notice it was even there. Hooked up the fuel lines etc and everything else, then tried to start, it would turn but didnt fire up. I got a bit eager and twisted the throttle a bit, and im guessing would have flooded the carby?

So, frustrated and impatient that it didnt start the first time, i lifted the tank again, then drained the fuel from the Carby Bowls. At that point some friends rocked up, and we sprayed the starter spray stuff direct into the carby's, while the fuel was separated etc and it did fire up from the spray. That at least made me smile to hear the engine kick over nicely.

I thought, sweet, I just flooded it, found the missing wires, plugged in the TPS and then put fuel lines back in etc to try again... retard that I am late in the evening... This time I left the Wiring connector that kinda just hangs there undone. Not sure what role it plays, but anyway, put it all together, and then tried again. And Again... Nothing. Just kept spinning over but no fire.

Checked one of the spark plugs and it did spark to the frame when turned over.

Drained the bowls again, and plugged everything in again this time, and once again put it all together while giving the battery a very quick charge, and then tried again to no avail. Same result. Nothing.

Have browsed many a forum trying to get some clues, and most of them are pointing to checking out the float in the bowls. This is pretty new to me, but I reckon I can work it out if I have to. Just thought Id jump online and see if any one had a bright idea and could maybe save me a few hours of foolishness.

The guy I got it from was a great bloke, and reckons he got the carby already tuned and ready to go from the bike shop, and just popped it in. Also Im pretty sure he said he put new plugs in as well. Im gonna double check that tomorrow though obviously to rule that out as an issue.

And yeah, fuel is definately getting into the carbys, as a fair bit comes out when you drain all four into a cup.

Just doesnt seem to be sparking and igniting the fuel??

Any inspired help would be great.

Thank in advance gentlemen, now its bedtime... only so many hours one can spend sniffing petrol fumes...

Mark
    The circus is calling...

Its got spark, its got fuel, Choke it and crank it . BANG ???
    You mention flooded the carby , Umm I am confused with that.
    I always thought you can flood the engine , too much fuel (liquid) and not enough vapour .

That said if your floats are set wrong in the float bowl then yes, it will get too much fuel. But lets not go there yet.

Good luck mate
    REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
    (anarchy in english )

Comment

Yeah: it won't be the carbies flooded, it will be the engine. Hit problems like this on mine and a decent flooding takes a bit of surgery to rectify.

You're going to need to dry out your cylinders. Pull the spark plugs out, take the carbies off, crank motor, leave sit for a while, flush thoroughly with carby cleaner through the intake ports, crank and crank again. You'll want the battery on a decent charger for this and want to be careful of cooking your starter motor - don't run it for too long in one hit.

After giving it a heap of this, leave it open overnight and try again.
      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

How old is the fuel you are using, are you using the choke? Fuel to on and not prime? TPS on a carbed bike very unusual, although my suzuki knowledge is limited with CV carbs it is very very hard to flood the motor and I understood only the slingshot had the pumpers. You could also try cycling the kill switch between start attempts on some bikes this helps (resets the electronic ignition to cold start).

Failing that it would seem to be the time to make sure you have no vacuum leaks or issues with the diaphragms in the carbs.

Actually further thought I did have a bike with CV's that if you ever ran the main tank out of fuel to the point the carbs ended up dry it would take forever to prime after you switched to reserve, so maybe turn the fuel on and go find something to do for 10 or 15minutes then try and start it.
        Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Are the air screws turned all the way in?

Coz they shouldn't be...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shan View Post
            Its got spark, its got fuel, Choke it and crank it . BANG ???
            You mention flooded the carby , Umm I am confused with that.
            I always thought you can flood the engine , too much fuel (liquid) and not enough vapour .

That said if your floats are set wrong in the float bowl then yes, it will get too much fuel. But lets not go there yet.

Good luck mate
            Yeah im still learning all about it now. :p Trying to logically first work out the process then break it down and rule out what I can. The Carbys were meant to be all done and ready to go and just plugged in, so hoping no adjustments need to be made there.

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by XSorXpire View Post
            Are the air screws turned all the way in?

Coz they shouldn't be...
            Havent touched them, they should have been set properly by the shop it came from, but Ill give em a quick twist to check. Cheers for the idea. It is like its not getting air from somewhere...
            The circus is calling...

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
              How old is the fuel you are using, are you using the choke? Fuel to on and not prime? TPS on a carbed bike very unusual, although my suzuki knowledge is limited with CV carbs it is very very hard to flood the motor and I understood only the slingshot had the pumpers. You could also try cycling the kill switch between start attempts on some bikes this helps (resets the electronic ignition to cold start).

Failing that it would seem to be the time to make sure you have no vacuum leaks or issues with the diaphragms in the carbs.

Actually further thought I did have a bike with CV's that if you ever ran the main tank out of fuel to the point the carbs ended up dry it would take forever to prime after you switched to reserve, so maybe turn the fuel on and go find something to do for 10 or 15minutes then try and start it.
              The fuel is new. All the fluids had been drained out of it while previous owners worked on it. So I put fuel in then hooked her up. Did use choke as the manual instructs, but to no avail.

Ill see if the starter spray still gets it going when there is fuel running to it. Just gotta get the spray into the carbys with the tank hook up... not so easy. :p

I have a feeling im missing something about the airbox and vacuum hoses or something. Will go out and play again now.

Cheers for the thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
              Yeah: it won't be the carbies flooded, it will be the engine. Hit problems like this on mine and a decent flooding takes a bit of surgery to rectify.

You're going to need to dry out your cylinders. Pull the spark plugs out, take the carbies off, crank motor, leave sit for a while, flush thoroughly with carby cleaner through the intake ports, crank and crank again. You'll want the battery on a decent charger for this and want to be careful of cooking your starter motor - don't run it for too long in one hit.

After giving it a heap of this, leave it open overnight and try again.
              Yeah cool. Cheers for the tips. Should the engine have flooded that easily though from being completely empty, just added new fuel etc?

Im gonna go out and look now, hopefully its just something Im missing in the vacuum setup. Bit tricky working out the hoses.
              The circus is calling...

Comment

Hmm... and now I realise fuel is blowing back up through the air filter, and noticed the Choke wasnt actually fitted and was just hanging loose. Ahhh the joy of taking over a project mid way.

Im going to start from scratch and get to know this baby and see what I can work out from there. Cheers for the help guys.
                The circus is calling...

Comment

Ok... Making some progress. When Tank is off, I can spray Starter spray into the air filter and it kicks over and runs/revs etc until the spray is burnt up etc. Can I assume that means its not flooded?

When I do kick it over though, I noticed Fuel is squirting from the small air hole that Ive circled in this photo.... Being that they call it an air hole... is that normal? It is from here that its squirting up into the air filter etc, and then spilling down around the carby.

Ideas?

The circus is calling...

Comment

You know of anyone that has a compression tester? Just because it's firing on start ya bastard (or whatever your using) doesn't mean it has enough compression to fire on petrol.

Wouldn't hurt to check valve clearances while you've got it in bits already
                    Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Originally posted by Falcore View Post
                      You know of anyone that has a compression tester? Just because it's firing on start ya bastard (or whatever your using) doesn't mean it has enough compression to fire on petrol.

Wouldn't hurt to check valve clearances while you've got it in bits already

Ok cool. That's some clarity I was hoping for. Cheers falcore. I'll go grab a compression tester for the shed today.

Any idea on whether the fuel is supposed to squirt out that "air hole" in the photo?
                      The circus is calling...

Comment

Floats.

Comment

dibs needle n seat/s
                          faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Originally posted by Biffer View Post
                            dibs needle n seat/s
                            Yeah. Fuckers. Was supposed to be a fully reconditioned Carby tuned and ready to go. All good. No more silly questions from me on this subject. I'll strip it back and rebuild it. On the bright side, I'm learning all about Carburetors.

thanks for the help guys.
                            The circus is calling...

Comment

oh the joys of bike mechanicin' .... let us know how ya get on
                              faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Working...
                              X