08 R1 Not Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 08 R1 Not Starting

Put a new battery in my R1 a couple of weeks ago, all worked fine after but the bike has been sitting for a couple of weeks, went to start it but when I hit the button I got a buzzing sound coming from the negative terminal on the battery, recharged the battery, checked the connections, fuses seem OK any ideas?

Battery sounds farkedddd.
    2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
    2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
    2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
    2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
    2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
    2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

Kick stand switch?

Comment

Did you charge the battery before you installed it? and two weeks without running is sometimes enough to flatten a battery esp if it wasnt fully charged to begin with. If you have to leave the bike for 2 weeks or more without running a battery tender is needed.

Good luck
        Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

recheck/tighten battery terminal..

mmkay?
          " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Also make sure there is nothing between the terminal and the terminal clamp. But I would think that BusaSteve is correct with his comment.
            SP RACINGis supported by:
            MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
            Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
            Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

Cheers guys for the feedback, but after installing and checking the battery worked it has been on a trickle charger since, only turned charger off before trying to start the bike, have checked terminals, so am of to get the battery checked out, why would you get a buzzing from the negative terminal? Bike goes through its pre start checks and dash is all ok.

Comment

Does your dash go blank and reset itself? starter relay is near the battery probably the sound your hearing. It could be low voltage, faulty starter relay or your starter motor. Do you have a multimeter?
                "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Just had the battery checked at Repco and it is reading 22 when it should be 190. Will get a new battery and report back, just a pain as I have a track day on Saturday so don't want to miss out.
                  The dash does reset itself after it makes buzzing sound.
                  Last edited by barney-; 27-01-2014, 12:23 PM.

Comment

if the lights come on, you can push start it

When I bought my 05 R1, I push started it for 2 weeks before that wasn't fun any more and bought a battery. Whack it in second get some speed up and jump on the bike drop the clutch away she goes, they start so easily unlike a carbie bike, but the computer needs to be powered up!! ask me how I know... trying to push start a bike with a dead flat battery isn't fun at all.
                    In rod we trust.

Comment

Quiet often the voltage from a seriously flat battery is not enough to fire the electronics or if it is rough running is a consequence. It is also not advisable to keep running it in this form for any length of time or serious damage can be caused to the charging circuitry.

Comment

^^ generally if your battery has enough power to run up the dash etc then the ECU is running, the injectors don't require too much, but yeh if it is too far gone then it won't work, if the dash does come on then your battery's impedance probably isn't so high that it will cause damage by over volting the system.
                        In rod we trust.

Comment

New battery in, all seems good, must have got a dud as I took battery to the bike shop and they checked it and gave me a replacement, thanks for your help guys!^_^

Comment

Did it have made in china on it?

Comment

If you got a multimeter it might be worth checking how much voltage you're getting out of your charging system...
                              SP RACINGis supported by:
                              MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
                              Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
                              Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

Working...
                              X